What to do when spotting deer

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: What to do when spotting deer

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 May 2016, 9:38 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Regardless of state laws, I personally would never hunt deer under a light (unless it was purely for culling / destruction purposes)

Deer are generally quite dumb under lights, and that is just plain unsportsmanlike to do so. (my two bobs worth)

I think the minimum recommended caliber for roos is or was somewhere around .243 or 22/250
I don't think the .222 actually made the list.

It may have changed as it was several years ago when I last checked.

I tend to recall the code of practice minimum was 222rem 50gr... or thereabouts
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 May 2016, 9:38 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Regardless of state laws, I personally would never hunt deer under a light (unless it was purely for culling / destruction purposes)

Deer are generally quite dumb under lights, and that is just plain unsportsmanlike to do so. (my two bobs worth)

I think the minimum recommended caliber for roos is or was somewhere around .243 or 22/250
I don't think the .222 actually made the list.

It may have changed as it was several years ago when I last checked.

I tend to recall the code of practice minimum was 222rem 50gr... or thereabouts
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by 5Tom » 05 May 2016, 10:26 pm

RoginaJack wrote:well 5TOM, You've confused me as to where the 243/30 actually was. In the 1st post it was in the boot and next post the rifles were between my feet. What is a .243/30 and 91/30 anyway?

I think you may be mistaken as to the legality of using a 22LR on the larger Roo species. See the following code of practice:-

http://bawp.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2 ... labies.pdf

AND

https://www.environment.gov.au/node/16657#fir

Cheers.

I had my Lithgow LA101 .22LR with me in the front, my Tikka T3 .243 and Mosin Nagant 91/30 in the boot.
Well then, I guess rules are rules but I think a well placed shot to the brain did the same job.

Anyway, this thread was about Deer and what to do once they've been startled...
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 May 2016, 8:55 am

I had my Lithgow LA101 .22LR with me in the front, my Tikka T3 .243 and Mosin Nagant 91/30 in the boot.
Well then, I guess rules are rules but I think a well placed shot to the brain did the same job.

Anyway, this thread was about Deer and what to do once they've been startled...

Where your guns were is your business.....when you see the Deer - shoot it...

...then brag about it here and show us the pics :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by RoginaJack » 06 May 2016, 2:54 pm

Then why mention "roo Culling"?

PS. What you think is unimportant; it's what the rules and regulations state that are important.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Rocker » 09 May 2016, 9:09 am

RoginaJack wrote:PS. What you think is unimportant; it's what the rules and regulations state that are important.

Yep.

I don't agree with them all but they are what they are, and that's what you've gotta do for now.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bosbefok » 09 May 2016, 12:21 pm

In my spotlighting experience, animals are stunned/blinded by the bright light shining into their eyes. They tend not to move. We used to creep around blinded rabbits and dispatch them with a .410 in my youth. The closer you got the bigger the backflip. If you spot the animal and then take the spotlight off of them, they regain their sight and retreat. In my opinion hunting under spotlight is not hunting but rather shooting and should be reserved for pests only. Not really a fair chase.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khan » 10 May 2016, 3:34 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:...then brag about it here and show us the pics :thumbsup:

Then invite us over for burgers :D
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by WayneO » 13 May 2016, 5:00 pm

Bosbefok wrote:In my spotlighting experience, animals are stunned/blinded by the bright light shining into their eyes. They tend not to move. We used to creep around blinded rabbits and dispatch them with a .410 in my youth. The closer you got the bigger the backflip. If you spot the animal and then take the spotlight off of them, they regain their sight and retreat. In my opinion hunting under spotlight is not hunting but rather shooting and should be reserved for pests only. Not really a fair chase.

Ek moet sê ek stem saam met jou.
Except when you have to cull, that's another ball game all together.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 14 May 2016, 2:58 pm

All this talk about Deer has made me hungry :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bosbefok » 22 Jun 2016, 11:49 am

WayneO wrote:
Bosbefok wrote:In my spotlighting experience, animals are stunned/blinded by the bright light shining into their eyes. They tend not to move. We used to creep around blinded rabbits and dispatch them with a .410 in my youth. The closer you got the bigger the backflip. If you spot the animal and then take the spotlight off of them, they regain their sight and retreat. In my opinion hunting under spotlight is not hunting but rather shooting and should be reserved for pests only. Not really a fair chase.

Ek moet sê ek stem saam met jou.
Except when you have to cull, that's another ball game all together.

Ek is 'n soutie (Damn auto correct ). Show me the person that needs to cull because I'm running low on biltong!
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by POD89 » 22 Jun 2016, 12:11 pm

I just envy all this deer hunting talk.

WA is near impossible to shoot deer.

you can not shoot deer unless its on your property in WA.
This is because they are considered "vermin" not "game" which I think is personally silly.
But that's a totally different can of worms and i have some strong feelings about it.

If i saw a deer on one of the local farms i shoot on, i'd just about sh*t my self with excitement.
The fact that you guys actually pull yourselves together and make a plan to stalk, track etc baffles me.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes..."
POD89
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by WayneO » 22 Jun 2016, 2:56 pm

Sorry bosbefok but da name can like to have thrown me off a bit :lol:
I did a cull 4 weeks ago when back in S.A in the Dwaalboom area with a good friend of mine. We had to take out some BWB and some Impala, but besides a nice big BWB cow for my folks, all I took was an Impala neck for a potjie and some BWB fillets for a few braai's.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by VasHunter » 20 Apr 2017, 12:15 am

Actually still need a game licence to shoot deer in NSW on private or public land.

Also is a professional shooters licence still needed to shoot roos on private land?
"A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work"

Tikka CTR T3x .7mm-08
Rem700 SPS mod X Gen III .308
Lithgow Arms A101 .22LR
Adler A110 Tactical
Savage arms 22-250
VasHunter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey