Preservation of scalps/skins

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Preservation of scalps/skins

Post by YoungBuck » 06 May 2016, 3:45 pm

So I took my first fox scalp today using a new knife i'd recently bought from ebay.

Planning on stocking up on a few scalps and then redeeming the bounty for them in a few months time. But in the mean time, how do you guys preserve your scalps/skins until its time to hand them over? Ive got a ton of large zip lock bags that I will be using (used today) and have put the scalp in that and put it in the freezer.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Preservation of scalps/skins

Post by brett1868 » 06 May 2016, 4:35 pm

The irony of the topic and your username is cool...Buy yourself one of those vacuum food sealers, I use one for ammo and it should keep a scalp reasonably fresh.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 06 May 2016, 6:03 pm

When you thaw them out they'll be rank mate.

You need to stop the bacteria grown.

Sprinkle the flesh side with Salt and roll them up in hessian, that will suck the moisture out of the flesh and stop the bacteria growing. After a few days to do it again (re salt is) and then just staple them onto a board to dry out.

You're not worried about keeping them in good condition but they need to be pleasant to handle later on.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 07 May 2016, 1:42 pm

Just peg or hang it out for a few days until it dries, should be ok then or salt it with floss salt or similar, it's only a scalp so doesn't need any real attention.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 May 2016, 1:57 pm

Really? cure a scalp for 10buck??

They'll air dry quickly or Stick it in a bag, in the freezer, at to the bag as you collect more scalps..if you take it out of the freezer when you leave for the 'hand-in' they wont be putrefying when you get there....

Are you in VIC? (I'm not sure if other states have a bounty as well) there is info on the http://agriculture.vic.gov.au web site.... but make sure you take enough of the scalp, dont give them an excuse to reject them;

<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by YoungBuck » 07 May 2016, 6:00 pm

Yes I am in Vic, and yes I did check the requirement before scalping and scalped as per your image. It's a bit of a sloppy job being my first but it should suffice.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 May 2016, 9:24 pm

"They'll air dry quickly or Stick it in a bag, in the freezer, at to the bag as you collect more scalps..if you take it out of the freezer when you leave for the 'hand-in' they wont be putrefying when you get there..."

Im married. If I did that my scalp would go in the freezer. :shock:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey