Which style of fox whistle is the best?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Which style of fox whistle is the best?

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Sep 2017, 10:01 am

Thanks. I'm always looking for ways to improve. Need all the help I can get. He, he.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by snag » 18 Nov 2017, 10:57 pm

Old post, new comment.
I always used the button whistle and used to always carry one in my pocket when I was hunting. Then I watched a friend's little fluffy dog playing with a squeaky toy and thought how much it sounded like a fox call. Now the proud owner of a little rubber chicken?/turkey?/duck? that fits neatly under my foot while I hide behind a good gun-rest tree with my .22 Hornet. Has also brought cats and the occasional dinger in. Available at your local pet shop for less than $10.00.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 19 Nov 2017, 8:57 am

bigfellascott wrote:The other thing I have and use regularly is a piece of Styrofoam, just wet it with ya tongue and rub it on ya windscreen, makes a squeaky sound and they love it too.

this is a great trick :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 19 Nov 2017, 3:56 pm

snag wrote:Old post, new comment.
I always used the button whistle and used to always carry one in my pocket when I was hunting. Then I watched a friend's little fluffy dog playing with a squeaky toy and thought how much it sounded like a fox call. Now the proud owner of a little rubber chicken?/turkey?/duck? that fits neatly under my foot while I hide behind a good gun-rest tree with my .22 Hornet. Has also brought cats and the occasional dinger in. Available at your local pet shop for less than $10.00.

Best idea Yet!!
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Nov 2017, 5:31 pm

Of you remove the squeaker out of the toy you can glue it into a piece of plastic tubing and blow it like a whistle. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Nov 2017, 5:40 pm

I have tried
DIY tenterfield
Button
Best call tenterfield
Duck caller.
Best reed caller.
US made scotch caller.
Styrene on glass

And reckon the DIY tenterfield seems the most consistant. It has a higher pitch.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 19 Nov 2017, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 19 Nov 2017, 6:02 pm

scope wrote:
Modena wrote:
scope wrote:Just bought thebestfoxcall SS. Haven't used it out in the field as of yet, but highly rate it from what I've seen.
Check this video out; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iND3-a6Og6Y

I have one of them also. Yet to use it....

I'm going to get the original as well. Seems a bit better for up close, also another style of call so it could increase the chances.

Just to let you know guys, you can get better results out of any whistle, & you can get a lot worse too...

What im saying is dont get sucked in by videos claiming one particular type of whistle is best--
Ive recently had up to 5 foxes sitting between 120-190 yds waiting to be shot like trained puppies for 20 mins while i bring in the adult bitch to shoot first--if i got that on video you would buy the whisle i used that night-which wasnt that one.
But then, ive had foxes do the bolt as soon as its blown & not shot a thing.

Point is you need many whistles, but at the end of the day, sometimes you have great luck, other times you should have stayed in bed.

Foxing is just like fishing...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Nov 2017, 9:08 pm

Stix wrote:
scope wrote:
Modena wrote:
scope wrote:Just bought thebestfoxcall SS. Haven't used it out in the field as of yet, but highly rate it from what I've seen.
Check this video out; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iND3-a6Og6Y

I have one of them also. Yet to use it....

I'm going to get the original as well. Seems a bit better for up close, also another style of call so it could increase the chances.

Just to let you know guys, you can get better results out of any whistle, & you can get a lot worse too...

What im saying is dont get sucked in by videos claiming one particular type of whistle is best--
Ive recently had up to 5 foxes sitting between 120-190 yds waiting to be shot like trained puppies for 20 mins while i bring in the adult bitch to shoot first--if i got that on video you would buy the whisle i used that night-which wasnt that one.
But then, ive had foxes do the bolt as soon as its blown & not shot a thing.

Point is you need many whistles, but at the end of the day, sometimes you have great luck, other times you should have stayed in bed.

Foxing is just like fishing...!!!

Spot on, that's why I have all manner of callers, whistles etc, it's a lucky dip a times, sometimes you get great results other times they don't wanna know ya, just depends on the time of year or if they have been shot at before and the shot was muffed as to how they will react, you ones are as dumb as dog s**t and will sit there or even walk straight up to you whilst you are shooting at em, old ones, well they didn't get that old by being stupid, they generally are harder to shoot but not impossible as I've shot plenty of older ones too (going by the poor teeth in em).

I've had em come right next to the vehicle and actually had to chase em away before I could take a shot at em, had em nearly jump on me, had em come tearing in and spit rocks etc up at me as they did an about face in haste, had em just sit and not want to come any closer than a few 100m, had one a few years back that came to within about 100m and flat out refused to budge, despite many different whistles and calls used to entice it, it just sat there for 10mins or so and then casually walked off (I only had a shottie and no way to close the gap with the open ground between us).

They are indeed funny buggers and great fun to whistle up!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by offroadrex » 20 Nov 2017, 11:05 am

Been happy with my silva fox whistle. Took a bit to get used to but there are heaps of youtubes to help
offroadrex
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Rikta » 20 Nov 2017, 3:52 pm

ive got a magic fox whistle (tenterfield) and nothing comes to it, can make them come better with my two front teeth, button whistle all the way
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2018, 11:14 pm

I just found this fox whistles comparison. Interesting. Not sure about his math though! :lol:

https://youtu.be/CX_1Q4KEcOo
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 01 Feb 2018, 10:10 am

I reckon the "best fox whistle" is the one you've got in your hand at the time..
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 01 Feb 2018, 11:03 am

Surly it would be more to do with how you blow the whistle. I mean on the button ones you can blow and suck and make different sounds of pain as well with the Tenterfields you don't just blow one long blast or do you. I try and make it a varying squeal rather than a whistle. So that put the user as the most important part of the equation.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Feb 2018, 5:44 pm

sungazer wrote:Tenterfields you don't just blow one long blast or do you. I try and make it a varying squeal rather than a whistle. So that put the user as the most important part of the equation.

Correct. But it does compare each one in the same manner.
I was interest in the "pipe" whistle. A bit different.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control