My Favourite Pig Rifle

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: My Favourite Pig Rifle

Post by bigpete » 05 Oct 2016, 9:59 pm

chriso72 wrote:Hi All,

I have an unusual one for pigs, it's a 303-35 based on a MKIII action I think. I haven't used it for years. The pills I was using were both Woodleigh 225gn and 250gn.Very effective. Not a long range cartridge <100m. Does anyone else have this combination??

I've only heard of them. Sounds likeba pretty good cartridge to me
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jeff303 » 06 Oct 2016, 6:35 am

Another vote for the mighty 3-oh here. 150gn hornady pills in mine. Deadly medicine.
Although been using my parker hale 30-06 a lot lately, loaded up with those new nosler 125gn ballistic tips. Now you wanna talk mess, absolute carnage
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 06 Oct 2016, 10:28 am

My fav is a 30/303 on a number 4 action with 3 mags. It runs 150gn hornady interlocks and is devistating on a big mob.... Love it

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 06 Oct 2016, 10:40 am

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:My fav is a 30/303 on a number 4 action with 3 mags. It runs 150gn hornady interlocks and is devistating on a big mob.... Love it

Collector 1

You tell em collector. Funny about the 303. The reason that there were wildcats made for the .303 was at the time (Post WW2, 1950s) the .303 was as many people put it, too heavy for most Australian game. That's the reason why they made 303-270, 303-25, 303-243 and 303-22. Yet if you are present when people have their conversations regarding their game-rifles and the game itself, they'll dribble on about "Uggh, mah 338 win mag for whitetail" and "Muh 458 winny for piggies". They're magnum crazy and probably can't put place their over-sized shots properly. :unknown: Even for vermin like the rabbit, I've taken plenty just with subsonic 22 alone, but some people, they'll tell you how they use 223 and 22-250 at some ridiculously close distance (Long distance bunny shooting with high velocity stuff is fine, hence my reasoning for wanting a 303-22. :)
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 06 Oct 2016, 8:40 pm

Hahahha.....show your age here...303/22 falcon or the 303/22 sprinter.... I dare you...lol....

Young ones of today just have NO idea.....

Collector 1
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Oct 2016, 8:06 am

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:Hahahha.....show your age here...303/22 falcon or the 303/22 sprinter.... I dare you...lol....

Young ones of today just have NO idea.....

Collector 1

Old Man and me both collectively use this account dude. So what's was point back there exactly?

And 303-22 Falcon was/still is the one to go for.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 07 Oct 2016, 8:38 am

Yep. You never know it you're talking to Heckler or Heckler Snr.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 07 Oct 2016, 1:50 pm

No young ones where I come from have ever heard of 303 wildcats that alone mentioning bore size, common Aussie names etc etc....it's nice to find ANYONe that not only recognises Aussie history but still uses it....hence the comment.

And it's no indictment on age either, I'm 56 going on 21...and hope to be shooting till I'm 156.
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Oct 2016, 4:16 pm

Fair enough collector. I'll admit it was me, Heck Jnr. who made that post back there. Old man has a different style of posting, making everything pretty boring. ;)

I doubt many any people as young as me also reload, trim cases, weigh stuff down to 0.01 of a grain, fire-form, use head-space gauges, or rely a lot on vernier calipers. Lee Enfields are my go-to for a lot of things, and if it hadn't been for Heckler Snr I'd only have 1/5 of the knowledge I currently have. My name even puts that out on show I'm an enfield fan. Too bad I have Heck Snr always on my back but that'll soon change by next year.

Unfortunately, the bigger picture is you're unlikely to find someone else my age that isn't a complete pansy around firearms. I got thrown out of my college library for having my PC background to a No.4, that's a whole other story but I was told "It could make students think up all the wrong ideas". :huh:

By the way, latest toy is a 303-25 Epps/Improved in an M17 action and custom stock. :thumbsup:
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 07 Oct 2016, 4:34 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Fair enough collector. I'll admit it was me, Heck Jnr. who made that post back there. Old man has a different style of posting, making everything pretty boring. ;)

I doubt many any people as young as me also reload, trim cases, weigh stuff down to 0.01 of a grain, fire-form, use head-space gauges, or rely a lot on vernier calipers. Lee Enfields are my go-to for a lot of things, and if it hadn't been for Heckler Snr I'd only have 1/5 of the knowledge I currently have. My name even puts that out on show I'm an enfield fan. Too bad I have Heck Snr always on my back but that'll soon change by next year.

Unfortunately, the bigger picture is you're unlikely to find someone else my age that isn't a complete pansy around firearms. I got thrown out of my college library for having my PC background to a No.4, that's a whole other story but I was told "It could make students think up all the wrong ideas". :huh:

By the way, latest toy is a 303-25 Epps/Improved in an M17 action and custom stock. :thumbsup:

I wanna hear the story :clap:
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 07 Oct 2016, 4:38 pm

303/25 eps, m17....by any faint chance you got some photos....now that would be a classic Aussie pig rifle I reckon

Collector 1
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Oct 2016, 4:49 pm

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:303/25 eps, m17....by any faint chance you got some photos....now that would be a classic Aussie pig rifle I reckon

Collector 1

Just a teaser of me working on the stock:

More to come when it's back together.

Doh, now I have a story-thread to write.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 07 Oct 2016, 8:29 pm

Ok....ill wait to see the finished product.

Collector 1
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 08 Oct 2016, 5:34 am

Speaking of Aussie history and pig rifles. Check out the SSAA online gun site, rifle category, large framed Martini in 303/375, now that would be a fun gun...lol...only in Australia...

Collector 1
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 08 Oct 2016, 11:11 am

That would be awesome in a Lee Enfield ! With cast lead projectiles !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Oct 2016, 12:38 pm

"Old Man and me both collectively use this account dude."

So that explains my confusion. Perhaps a seperate account would be appropriate? Just suggesting.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Oct 2016, 2:24 pm

Interesting stock, 303...........The grip and the comb. Looks like neat work :thumbsup: Interested in the Epps. My 303/25 was on a 98 Mauser action. After a bit of work with valve grinding paste it was pretty smooth :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Garth » 23 Oct 2016, 1:44 pm

Marlin 44 mag was fun on pigs
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 27 Oct 2016, 7:44 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Interesting stock, 303...........The grip and the comb. Looks like neat work :thumbsup: Interested in the Epps. My 303/25 was on a 98 Mauser action. After a bit of work with valve grinding paste it was pretty smooth :)

The grip and comb came in with the rifle, but believe me, it was in an absolute sorry state. Whoever was working on it did a really good job fitting..

Just not a very good job finishing :|. I spent a long while trying to raise the woodwork with hot water, sanding back lumps and bumps, it's been a long while, and it has turned out pretty good for what it is.

I'll get some pics up sometime.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by 3025epps » 19 Dec 2019, 6:34 am

Heckler 303
I built a 303/25epps improved on a P14 action dynamite on pigs as far as you can hit them. If you want a good read try sporting shooter Mag I think 2010 or 2011. You can also find it on the web under the ultimate 303/25.
I am the author of the article and you can contact me on nelsongr1958@gmail.com
3025epps
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey