Ghille Suit - who bothers?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Ghille Suit - who bothers?

Post by happyhunter » 20 May 2016, 3:56 pm

Browning wrote:Yup, gotta agree with Heckler303... Massive overkill unless you've earned your stripes as a sniper...

Depends on the reason for concealment. Not that I'd do it myself or condone the action, but a ghillie suit would be spot on for a poacher who is concerned with concealing himself/herself/itself from landowners/rangers/wildlife officers. Would not suprise me if there are people already doing it.

Other reason would be bow hunting where distances are relatively short. A ghillie might give a little advantage in that scenario.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Heckler303 » 20 May 2016, 5:23 pm

happyhunter wrote:Other reason would be bow hunting where distances are relatively short. A ghillie might give a little advantage in that scenario.

Yeah, wait till the deer comes in real close, then throw away the pointy stick launcher and grab the .303.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by WayneO » 20 May 2016, 5:39 pm

If the wind is right and you are on a good animal path, then believe me, the suit comes into its own. It also works well when you are on the side of a mountain with very little cover. They do have their place, but you have to learn the art of sitting on your ass or lying down and not moving for hours on end. Otherwise its completely useless.
However when used on Foxes and the like, then a little bit of movement in the suit while using a caller, will get them coming to within throwing distance. They have no idea what you are and curiosity gets the better of them.
If you cant sit still and not move for at least 45 minutes, then a Guille suit is not for you, and believe me, 45min is a very long time to keep still.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by chacka » 10 Jun 2016, 10:48 am

Heckler303 wrote:Yeah, wait till the deer comes in real close, then throw away the pointy stick launcher and grab the .303.

Or just shoot the thing and go home already :lol:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 10 Jun 2016, 1:16 pm

If you cant sit still and not move for at least 45 minutes, then a Guille suit is not for you, and believe me, 45min is a very long time to keep still

Definitely not for me then, can't go more then 20-30 min without farting let alone not moving.... :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 10 Jun 2016, 10:34 pm

I don't hunt so I only use mine for grocery shopping.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by tom604 » 11 Jun 2016, 8:38 am

church for me :lol: must work as no one has seen me there :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by WayneO » 13 Jun 2016, 5:11 pm

sit by the collection box and grab people who dont put money in as they walk out. Should be good for a few laughs.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 14 Jun 2016, 5:18 am

Another reason I won't wear it in the woods.

"Exclusive: Dean Cain to Host Spike TV's 10 Million Dollar Bigfoot Bounty

If Sasquatch exists, Dean Cain is on the hunt. The Lois & Clark star has signed on to host Spike TV's 10 Million Dollar Bigfoot Bounty, a new competition series that seeks to finally uncover the mythic forest creature.

In 10 Million Dollar Bigfoot Bounty, which premieres January 2014, nine teams of "lifelong Bigfoot hunters" and big game hunters travel through the Pacific Northwest and use a state-of-the-art mobile DNA lab to find Sasquatch. Each week they'll travel to a different Bigfoot "hot zone" in the U.S.

The cash prize is underwritten by Lloyd's of London. Cain will serve as "expedition leader." Besides Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, the actor's credits also include hosting TBS' Ripley's Believe it or Not and competing in NBC's recent reality series Stars Earn Stripes. He also stars in VH1's Hit the Floor.

Spike TV ordered eight episodes of 10 Million Dollar Bigfoot Bounty, which comes from Original Media, producers of Swamp People."
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Supaduke » 14 Jun 2016, 7:32 am

Dare say that 10 million is pretty safe. May as well say 10 billion. Although like those stupid ghost hunter shows , I'm sure they will make a bunch of nerds slinking through the forest terribly exciting. Lots of green eyed night vision footage of dipsticks trying to convince people that bumps in the night are big foot himself.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by BAZZOOK » 20 Jan 2017, 12:00 pm

Camo does work. My daughter came into the room and said has anyone seen my camo tee shirt I can,t find it. Haha
BAZZOOK
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 22 Jan 2017, 11:19 am

If your bow hunting why not,but its not at all necessary if your using guns
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by albat » 22 Jan 2017, 8:07 pm

If your love life is gettin a bit mundane i suppose you could burst into the bedroom with one of these on and see how your missus reacts :o
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blackened » 23 Jan 2017, 9:51 am

albat wrote:If your love life is gettin a bit mundane i suppose you could burst into the bedroom with one of these on and see how your missus reacts :o

I suspect with a bedside lamp to your head.
Blackened

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey