Ghille Suit - who bothers?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Ghille Suit - who bothers?

Post by petemacsydney » 18 May 2016, 9:57 am

recently bought one of these. Not convinced it will provide any value, but the bunnies I am targeting are very very shy. it was cheapo so i thought what the heck.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111116167864 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Obviously smell (wind direction) and movement will give it away before straight lines, but i guess I am just interested to hear if anyone uses them and what if anything you think of their value.

on the plus side, it will provide me with just a little more warmth this winter, on the down side i've been advised by my permission owner that i am probably at risk of being tasered by the fashion police, lol.

ghille.jpg
ghille.jpg (50.05 KiB) Viewed 6376 times
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Ghille Suit - who bothers?

Post by AusTac » 18 May 2016, 10:41 am

I personally think the critters don't give a crap what you look like they are far more alert and adapt to the environment better than we do that said there are some dummies the end up in the food chain.

Where those things come in real handy if used properly is fooling the human eye
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by petemacsydney » 18 May 2016, 12:43 pm

yes i plan to also use it at home, especially when the wife wants something... i can just imagine it now... me sitting on the lounge watching TV in my Ghille suit and the wife yelling out... "Kids... Where's Dad gone?"
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 18 May 2016, 1:27 pm

petemacsydney wrote:yes i plan to also use it at home, especially when the wife wants something... i can just imagine it now... me sitting on the lounge watching TV in my Ghille suit and the wife yelling out... "Kids... Where's Dad gone?"

:lol: :drinks: must try that!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by petemacsydney » 18 May 2016, 3:48 pm

let me know how you go. i don't think i'll have too much luck :-(
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 18 May 2016, 4:00 pm

If its gonna give you an edge in the field..why not, especially with foxes, was thinking of getting one myself for foxing. 8-)
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by petemacsydney » 18 May 2016, 4:23 pm

well next hunt trip is coming up soon, so i'll drop a usage report back on this thread!
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 18 May 2016, 4:34 pm

Might be handy but i'd feel like a goose and my wife would hang it on me for EVER.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 18 May 2016, 5:36 pm

petemacsydney wrote:yes i plan to also use it at home, especially when the wife wants something... i can just imagine it now... me sitting on the lounge watching TV in my Ghille suit and the wife yelling out... "Kids... Where's Dad gone?"

Should have got one years ago. To hide from Mrs Do that. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 May 2016, 5:37 pm

Elmer wrote:If its gonna give you an edge in the field..why not, especially with foxes, was thinking of getting one myself for foxing. 8-)

Bloody foxes and deer. Hard to shoot, bugger. :crazy:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 18 May 2016, 5:59 pm

Camouflage is an enormous wank. On average, whatever you are going to hunt is going to be able to smell you before it sees you. People dress up like pretending to re-enact 'military snipers' because they want to feel cool, even if they are only going out to plink rabbits for the afternoon. So many people buy into the 'camouflage' fad because of how much it's advertised nowadays, even though it won't make you any better a hunter.

If you were going after charlie in the rice paddy, then I see a use for them, otherwise, I will take flannelette's and work pants any-day.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by gazza » 18 May 2016, 6:33 pm

My 5yr old lad jumped in the ute once with a hat that had big cartoon eyes on it.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 May 2016, 6:47 pm

Tend to agree with Heckler303 to an extent. For all game, smell, sound and movement are their first indicators. Breaking up your outline does work for most, and fluoro orange cam gear has been proven in field tests to work as well as anything, and also much safer for the hunter. As far as sound goes, wet jeans or any other hard cotton such as moleskin, can be heard by deer a hundred yards away. Have always preferred woollen work pants, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 18 May 2016, 7:05 pm

smoke yourself in eucalyptus smoke before going out. I would think this would be more effective than a ghillie suit. Having said that, it may be useful for foxing
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 18 May 2016, 7:35 pm

Not needed, it's hunting not Snipering!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 May 2016, 7:38 pm

Elmer wrote:If its gonna give you an edge in the field..why not, especially with foxes, was thinking of getting one myself for foxing. 8-)

So not needed for foxes mate, the f***ing things come up to vehicles with lights blaring they are that stupid at times, even had em stand right next to me, they ain't that smart trust me! :thumbsup:

Only thing those suits do is make ya look like a wannabe and f***ing hot!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Elmer » 18 May 2016, 9:56 pm

Except for when I fart, I always make sure Iam down wind when hunting reynards.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by adam » 18 May 2016, 10:10 pm

Agree with the others - it'll have little to no difference against foxes. You could wear almost anything - just be upwind, quiet, and make your movements sloooow. Breaking up your eyes would probably be better than the rest of your body too...

If you want to hide inside from your misses - forget the Ghille suit... you need the sofa you can hide in. (Saw it once on Get Smart).
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 18 May 2016, 11:47 pm

I have used them while bow hunting to very good effect. The problem is, trying to get all the leaves and sticks out of them when you get home.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 19 May 2016, 10:32 am

Have given it a bit of thought due to my fair complexion but its just too hot up this way, even in winter. As previously stated, movement and smell are the quickest give-a-ways.
I use face netting, giggle hat, dull colours and sit with a bush, log or grass to break up my outline, but hang on isn't that a form of camouflage?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 19 May 2016, 12:28 pm

You don't buy a ghillie suit. You make it to suit the environmemt you are operating.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by petemacsydney » 19 May 2016, 12:46 pm

happyhunter wrote:You don't buy a ghillie suit. You make it to suit the environmemt you are operating.

good to know, i'll tell the shop to stop selling them.
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 19 May 2016, 2:00 pm

Getting serious up in there :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by petemacsydney » 19 May 2016, 6:55 pm

lol
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Browning » 19 May 2016, 8:20 pm

Yup, gotta agree with Heckler303... Massive overkill unless you've earned your stripes as a sniper...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 19 May 2016, 9:01 pm

Nothing fools the good old scent line.. I've observed deer for example, hit mine and it looked like they walked into a brick wall.... Ghillie's used appropriately are very effective with regards to fooling the human eye, although movement really makes you stand out with or without such gear in that regard... When hunting, I hate when the wind hunts me...
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by deanp100 » 19 May 2016, 9:15 pm

I nearly bought one once, for a party but then I came to my senses. A couple of guys in surfers paradise had them and were hiding on traffic islands. Comic relief only.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 19 May 2016, 9:17 pm

Last edited by deanp100 on 21 May 2016, 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 20 May 2016, 1:38 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

So not needed for foxes mate, the f***ing things come up to vehicles with lights blaring they are that stupid at times, even had em stand right next to me, they ain't that smart trust me! :thumbsup:

Funny you said that, last Saturday after an unsuccessful bunny hunt I was making a call to Girlfriend (sitting in the car) while at the property, the sun had long since gone and it was very still.
During the call I looked up and saw a fox sitting there right in front of the car...he just sat there staring at me unfortunately all the gear was packed away, if only I had the .22 with me. :shock: :roll:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 20 May 2016, 2:12 pm

Elmer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Funny you said that, last Saturday after an unsuccessful bunny hunt I was making a call to Girlfriend (sitting in the car) while at the property, the sun had long since gone and it was very still.
During the call I looked up and saw a fox sitting there right in front of the car...he just sat there staring at me unfortunately all the gear was packed away, if only I had the .22 with me. :shock: :roll:

Always the way, soon as the gears away the critters come out to play
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey