enough gun?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: enough gun?

Post by Gibbo » 23 May 2016, 9:05 am

Chronos wrote:.204R will push your MPBR out a bit and reduce your windage but at the end of the day if you learn your holdovers or elevation adjustments taking a shot another 50-100m out shouldn't be much of an issue if your accuracy is there. I've taken a few head shots with my .204R under spotlight with a bushnell set on about 12X at over 200m and it's not an issue if you have the confidence in your set up.

As long as your current rifle/scope combo is reliable and accurate I see no reason to throw money at new gear just to stretch its legs a little, by that I mean don't blow $2K on a S&B just to ghi from 200 to 250m shots, esspecially if your shooting under light.

Try and get a bit of time behind it from a probe set up (that is not from the ute mirror) and shoot some groups at 200, 250 and 300m and see if it's shooting under say 3-4" go smash them.

Chronos

Thanks for the feedback, I think you are right. More practice time behind the 223 and more confidence at those ranges, I am still going to look to upgrade the scope to something a bit better though. I see some good prices on Zeiss HD5 scopes and I tried out my mates Meopta Meopro on his Sako on the weekend and the difference was noticeable. My Bushnell is a hog hunter scrub scope so probably not really ideal for longer range shots.
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gibbo » 23 May 2016, 9:11 am

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:No good mucking around.. AAAHHHHHHHHHHH.....this had to be a flat shooting type of rifle....25/06 or a 257 Weatherby...........decent barrel....thick and stiff

100gn projectiles,,,as fast as you can push them with the accuracy required... happy days..

COLLECTOR 1

I was reading that the 25s are great with wind and very flat shooting but real barrel burners.... also looked at 243s

I have 243 reloading gear and some projectiles so if was upgrading would probably go down that route
Last edited by Gibbo on 23 May 2016, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gibbo » 23 May 2016, 9:16 am

Elmer wrote:
COLLECTOR 1 wrote:No good mucking around.. AAAHHHHHHHHHHH.....this had to be a flat shooting type of rifle....25/06 or a 257 Weatherby...........decent barrel....thick and stiff

100gn projectiles,,,as fast as you can push them with the accuracy required... happy days..

COLLECTOR 1

Ive got a sako 85 .260 s/s Lam Var, has a 8 twist and wears a Leupold VX3 8.5-25x50 I used to shoot Nos 100gn Ballistic Silvertips which averaged .20-.35" for 3 at 100yds.
This little beasty was deadly on bunnies out to 600yds and hit like a sledge...am currently working on a new load with Hornady 140gn AMAX which will handle foxes out to 1000yds.
Heres a vid of a bunny I got at 625yds https://youtu.be/Tps1wH8A_KI
cheers,
Sean.

Thanks, good to know and I will check out your video.
I would love a 260, I have an interest in the precision rifle stuff and have been thinking about a 260 or 6.5CM that could be used on steel and foxes. Maybe I could re-barrel my 308, have to look into it.
Like people are saying, any excuse for a new rifle
Last edited by Gibbo on 23 May 2016, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gibbo » 23 May 2016, 9:19 am

bentaz wrote:Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new gun.

I will give it a try.... "The ballistic experts online have advised me that my rifle doesn't shoot far enough... I need a new one...."

Will let you know how it goes
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 May 2016, 10:00 am

You want a 22 centrefire with a smidge more 'oomph', put down on your PTA '22 Eargesplitten loudenboomer'.... see how you go, they'll probably give you a call and say they dont have that 'calibre' on their national firearm identification database thingy...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gibbo » 23 May 2016, 11:09 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:You want a 22 centrefire with a smidge more 'oomph', put down on your PTA '22 Eargesplitten loudenboomer'.... see how you go, they'll probably give you a call and say they dont have that 'calibre' on their national firearm identification database thingy...

I was gonna put down 338 LOL but yours is better
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 23 May 2016, 6:05 pm

Too many calibers that can be used out to 650m to even start to mention them. Myself however, I would go 6.5 x 55.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 24 May 2016, 9:43 am

on age and experience, will regulalry not venture close enough to be within 350-400m (verified with range finder).

Seriously dude, 204 Ruger will do that easily. At known distance (range finder) all you really need to worry about is learning to read the wind. At 400 meters 10mph wind , windage is about 5 minute of angle for the 204.. peanuts really.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gibbo » 24 May 2016, 9:52 am

happyhunter wrote:
on age and experience, will regulalry not venture close enough to be within 350-400m (verified with range finder).

Seriously dude, 204 Ruger will do that easily. At known distance (range finder) all you really need to worry about is learning to read the wind. At 400 meters 10mph wind , windage is about 5 minute of angle for the 204.. peanuts really.

Yeah but if I am venturing outside the 223 and 308 I would rather go 6.5 or 260. Can have a bit of fun testing them out at distance and doesn't die in the ar$e like the 204. Pretty windy where we are at times and 6.5 stuff handles the wind much better.
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 May 2016, 7:45 am

I'm having the same issue I have a M70 FW in .22-250 not really a LR rifle and a .204 M77 Classic same deal. I used it as an excuse to build a custom 6mm SLR on a Howa action. Putting it in a GRS stock and going to use a Bushnell Scope. People say they're crap. But if you stick to their elite line they're a nice scope. I have 4 of them in different configs and I think they're pretty good. I think my biggest issue is I don't have a rangefinder.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gibbo » 27 May 2016, 9:15 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:I'm having the same issue I have a M70 FW in .22-250 not really a LR rifle and a .204 M77 Classic same deal. I used it as an excuse to build a custom 6mm SLR on a Howa action. Putting it in a GRS stock and going to use a Bushnell Scope. People say they're crap. But if you stick to their elite line they're a nice scope. I have 4 of them in different configs and I think they're pretty good. I think my biggest issue is I don't have a rangefinder.

Interesting, thanks I see you have a thread about it and I will check it out later. I have actually been looking at the 6.5 creedmoor and 260 rem, I have an interest in ranging and shooting steel so maybe something I can do more of down the track. Have been reading into the new Ruger Precision and also looking at the Savage line but haven't found anything I love just yet.

I agree with the Bushnell Elite. I had a Vortex and sold it and bought a Bushnell XRS and it was a great scope. Sold it to a mate simply because I want to get an ERS with H59 reticle.

If I won tatts I would just buy an Accuracy International... if only!
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2016, 11:07 am

Learn to shoot the outfit you have I reckon, that's all that's needed in this instance, not a new outfit. Set up some gongs at the longer ranges you'll more than likely be shooting at and start shooting, you'll nut it out soon enough.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 27 May 2016, 3:44 pm

"Buy a new rifle, get new glass, Llama, Maremma etc, etc" - All I can see there is more noise, recoil going up, along with your blood pressure and the bank balance going down!

I agree with CHRONOS. I can't see why your current setup won't cut the Mustard, might have to try a heavier pill in the .223, change the zero but as you have a range finder, hold over should not present too much of a problem, with a bit of practice.
Also, I'd get a gunsmith to check over the 22-250 re barrell worn out etc as this should shoot the fleas of foxes at those ranges..

Good hunting..
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 27 May 2016, 7:56 pm

Interesting, thanks I see you have a thread about it and I will check it out later. I have actually been looking at the 6.5 creedmoor and 260 rem, I have an interest in ranging and shooting steel so maybe something I can do more of down the track. Have been reading into the new Ruger Precision and also looking at the Savage line but haven't found anything I love just yet.

So are you looking for a 400 meter fox rifle and ideas on fox control or are you day dreaming?
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by RoginaJack » 27 May 2016, 8:10 pm

Or start setting traps.... :lol:

Na, forget all of that! I've found the ideal long range fox rifle for you AND would also handle a few deer too.

Have the 22-250 reballed to the 22-284! This baby spits a 50gr pill out at 4,400fps or a 74gr pill at a very respectable 3,700fps. :clap:

Wow, what a blast!

cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gibbo » 30 May 2016, 2:28 pm

happyhunter wrote:

So are you looking for a 400 meter fox rifle and ideas on fox control or are you day dreaming?

I am now looking for a used predator drone and a few hundred hellfire missiles
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 30 May 2016, 3:03 pm

nah.... you dont want a used drone.... they really knock them around.

One of these, PTA, calibre:308win
https://youtu.be/QGE23Uykd1Y?t=29
https://youtu.be/ClEo2OfA2Zs?t=53

its 'only' a 30cal :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Elek » 14 Jun 2016, 11:56 am

I want some of that tracer ammo :D
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 14 Jun 2016, 12:25 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Or start setting traps.... :lol:

Na, forget all of that! I've found the ideal long range fox rifle for you AND would also handle a few deer too.

Have the 22-250 reballed to the 22-284! This baby spits a 50gr pill out at 4,400fps or a 74gr pill at a very respectable 3,700fps. :clap:

Wow, what a blast!

cheers,

That and a new barrel every 800rds
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 14 Jun 2016, 5:51 pm

Elek wrote:I want some of that tracer ammo :D

Me and a mate bought thousands of rounds of M196 tracer from late 60s through early 80s. It's bright as heck and lights up right out of the barrel. It's like Star Wars when we shoot the stuff. :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Jun 2016, 9:21 pm

Sorry, you can't.
Too dangerous. might hurt someone. :P
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 14 Jun 2016, 9:30 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:

Sorry, you can't.
Too dangerous. might hurt someone. :P

:thumbsdown: that and if the gov have their way they'll stop you keeping that 1886 45/70 you love so much... first no semis or pump shottys now no levers then no pistols then it'll be bolt actions then double barrels then it'll be everything....
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by huccl » 12 Aug 2016, 12:46 pm

The few clips where it's all tracer are awesome :D
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal