The Macnab Challenge (hunting)

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

The Macnab Challenge (hunting)

Post by WayneO » 26 May 2016, 8:59 pm

One of my favorite hunts has always been the MacNab. I have accomplished this many times over the years with modern rifle and shotgun, black powder, handgun, and even taking all 3 with a bow. However I can not find any info on anyone doing a MacNab in Australia.
Out of curiosity, how many of you have ever accomplished one in the past?
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: MacNab

Post by pomemax » 26 May 2016, 11:42 pm

The modern Macnab Challenge: bagging a salmon, stag and brace of grouse within one day between dawn and dusk, is derived from Buchan’s tale. It is a thrilling test of sporting skill (with a dash of luck thrown in). The Field’s Macnab Challenge is open to all those who have successfully completed a Macnab within the current sporting season
Read more at http://www.thefield.co.uk/macnab-challe ... DA31vSS.99
i had to go look what it was lol
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by WayneO » 26 May 2016, 11:53 pm

In South Africa we dont have Salmon in the streams, so what is accepted is either bass, yellow fish, kurper or trout.
On the wing was most often Franklin (spur fowl) or partridge, but also Guinea Fowl and a host of water birds.
Fur, well in Africa you are spoilt for choice. However farms that promote MacNabs mostly offer Fallow deer, springbuck or blesbuck.

All three taken between a half hour before sunrise and a half hour after sunset of the same day and all taken by fair chaise.

The MacNab, where failing to plan is certainly planing to fail.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 May 2016, 5:21 am

G'day WayneO,
I have been here since 1978 and I have never heard of anyone hunting a McNab in Oz. Even in NZ it was not very well known, and most of us then called it 3 in 1 as a hunting variation of a ski day called 2 in 1 where we would snow ski in the Alps in the morning, then drive to the coast and water ski in the arvo. In NZ it was done mostly in the central North Island, around Lake Taupo and was trout, deer or billy goat, 2 pheasant (walk up, no driven). It would be an interesting exercise to see if such an event could be run here in Australia, surely there must be a trio of game that could be chosen for quite a large part of the place? Does it matter if they are all edible or not do you think? From memory, no one I met in South Africa actually ate Franklin, are they edible? Certainly looked like it to me! Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 30 May 2016, 6:23 pm

I dont think that being edible would matter much. If it did then a lot of my Macnab's would not count because no one really wants to eat Egyptian goose more than once. Also, most S.A game birds taste disgusting. That being said however, none of the farm workers will ever turn down meat of any kind, so they never go to waste and always get eaten. (Franklin, grouse and partridge all make great meals)
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 31 May 2016, 8:22 am

I've had a mixed grill with 5 different animals, does that count ?
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wes » 08 Jun 2016, 9:34 am

WayneO wrote:Also, most S.A game birds taste disgusting.

They do?

I thought they pretty much had all the same as us?

Duck, quail, pheasant etc.

?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 08 Jun 2016, 5:06 pm

It has to do with the feed, in the area, and the high-veld is very different to the coastal areas in so far as feed is concerned. The few duck that we have are not to bad, but the geese are not something you want to ever try twice. One of the most prolific game birds is the Guinea Fowl, and while its marginally edible, its very far from a go to food source for most people.
The best way to eat a spurwing goose or an Egyptian goose is to cook it for about 8 hours in a pot of boiling water. After 8 hours allow the water to cool down, throw the bird away and eat the brick while washing it down with the water in the pot.
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey