At last, an answer to Roo numbers.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: At last, an answer to Roo numbers.

Post by tom604 » 14 Jun 2016, 1:15 pm

Elek wrote:I suspect Arths comment about headshots being an arbitrary requirement is why is it fine (even recommended) to do chest shots when controlling vermin or "hunting" game, but not for "culling".

I don't have any experience in this but I'm sure we've all seen the aerial culling of pigs. No regular headshots happening there.

The government still make the guidelines/rules for hunting deer but there is no such requirement.

this is why i asked ^^ and if im on a goat cull its not a head shot only cull ,,maybe its because its a roo :unknown: you would think that center of mass would be better than a head shot in a cull situation ,,get more on the ground faster/easier . i know they do chopper culls for deer in the south east and i would bet my last dollar that head shots are not the norm. talking culls not chiller :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 14 Jun 2016, 1:36 pm

Dunno... may come down to the fact that 'roos are on the national coat of arms... In Tas they recommend either head or chest shots when culling wallaby but they are much smaller and less robust than eastern greys or reds.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Jul 2016, 9:15 pm

I've recently been given a permit to destroy roos in SA.
A estimation of roo numbers was given to DEWNR by the agronomist. He estimated 500 - 600 Western Grey Kangaroos (a very conservative estimation)
The permit was granted for 75 roos from the 150 applied for.
The permit was emailed along with a 20 page code of conduct fir shooting kangaroos and wallabies for non comercial purposes.
Point of aim
(i) A shooter using a rifle must aim so as to hit the target kangaroo or wallaby in the brain (see Schedule 2).
(ii) A shooter using a shotgun must aim so that, whether the target kangaroo or wallaby is stationary or mobile, it will be hit in the head or chest by the centre of the shot pattern.
(iii) A shooter must not aim so as to hit the target kangaroo or wallaby in any other part of the body than those specified in (i) and (ii) above.
Follow-up
(i) The shooter must be certain that each kangaroo or wallaby is dead before another is targeted.
(ii) If a kangaroo or wallaby is still alive after being shot, every reasonable effort must be made immediately to locate and kill it before any attempt is made to shoot another animal. The injured kangaroo or wallaby must be euthanased in accordance with the methods outlined in Section 4.

Copy of the code below
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour ... xuWXR4bHdA

The point they make elsewhere in the code of conduct is " to cause instantaneous death"
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by scaredyet » 08 Jul 2016, 7:51 am

Do you pay for a permit
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Jul 2016, 10:52 am

I'll ask the wife when I see her next, she organized it. Im pretty sure there was no payment made to DEWNR.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 08 Jul 2016, 12:17 pm

thanks for the follow up :thumbsup: may have to do my roo accreditation, just in case :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 08 Jul 2016, 12:44 pm

scaredyet wrote:Do you pay for a permit

Does the government give anything away for free, have porcine animals become aerodynamic?
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Jul 2016, 4:26 pm

tom604 wrote:thanks for the follow up :thumbsup: may have to do my roo accreditation, just in case :thumbsup:

The oy accreditation you need in SA is your current FA license.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GCCA » 24 Jul 2016, 12:04 pm

The reason some (not all some) chillers only want bucks is because they sell the hides and the pouch on the does messes with the available leather. 99% of commercially manufactured goods using roo leather is from a buck.

In Vic if you are shooting roos for the chillers they have to be head shot, if you injure a roo and it is not killed i.e jaw shot then you are allowed to follow up with a chest shot, but if you continually turn up to the chillers with chest shot roos you will lose your accreditation.
GCCA
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Jul 2016, 1:05 pm

scaredyet wrote:Do you pay for a permit

No fee for the permit for destruction in sa, they must generate revenue from the professionals, the processing license isn't cheep.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey