Old favorite .22lr

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Old favorite .22lr

Post by alan j » 13 Jun 2016, 4:51 pm

Shot a few small roo (rufus) the other morning with subsonic hp. Had forgotten what a great round the little .22 is. It has quite a bit of knockdown power for a small calibre. Reminded me why it is my favorite calibre. Anyone else feel the same ?
alan j
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Old favorite .22lr

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Jun 2016, 9:49 pm

I never get tired of shooting rabbits with my Bruno .22, such a fun round.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jun 2016, 10:22 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I never get tired of shooting rabbits with my Bruno .22, such a fun round.

Same here, hard to not take the ol girl out for a run on the bunnies when they are about. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by lole » 13 Dec 2016, 10:02 am

It's cheap and it's fun, can't argue with that :D
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 13 Dec 2016, 10:55 am

Thing I like most about shooting the 22LR is it's easy on the ear drums.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by riggee » 13 Dec 2016, 1:07 pm

Ditto, being able to chat with other shooters instead of cocooned in your earmuffs is better
Remington 700 Milspec 5R .300 Win Mag
Mossberg 640 KD .22 WMR
riggee
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Dec 2016, 1:26 pm

riggee wrote:Ditto, being able to chat with other shooters instead of cocooned in your earmuffs is better

Electronic Muffs fix that problem well and truly. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 13 Dec 2016, 6:13 pm

I love the 22 Long Rifle cartridge and the guns chambered for it. I have more 22s that any other caliber, 24 if you include the two 22 magnums and not the centerfire 22s.

First gun I ever fired was a 22 revolver, eldest brother inherited it, second gun I ever shot was a 22 pump rifle, I inherited it. First two guns I bought were 22s, last gun I bought was a 22. Twenty-twos come in every flavor out there; single shot, bolt action, lever action, pump action, and semiautomatic, and that's just in the rifles. In the handguns you have single shot, again, single & double action revolvers, and autoloaders as well. If you're lucky you can even find the odd old smooth bore, which would give you a 22 shotgun.

Yup, love the old 22LR.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Dec 2016, 3:40 am

G'day GLS_1956,
Played with my Remington Model 12 and the Cooey on the weekend, and a mate turned up with a Winchester thumb trigger! What a lot of fun that was, hadn't even seen one for 30 years or more! Absolutely agree the .22 is an essential part of any shooters collection. Sadly our bastard Govt has banned semi auto long arms of all types, so we miss out on a lot of fun stuff, Merry Xmas to you and yours from us downunder.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sally-bee » 15 Dec 2016, 11:13 am

lole wrote:It's cheap and it's fun, can't argue with that :D

Easy on the shoulder for us small folk as well :)
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 15 Dec 2016, 12:24 pm

No1Mk3:
Asinine law if you ask me, mind you Hillary Clinton want to inflict such regulations on us. As for the Winchester thumb triggered rifle, I've read of them but have never seen one. Seems to me to be a gun that I'd have to try and then try to buy. Dad had a smooth bore 22, eldest brother inherited it, think about it, a 22 bore shotgun, I love it.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control