Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Post by bigrich » 22 Dec 2017, 6:05 am

ha ha your a real character stix :lol: a mod 70 in 257 roberts is a unusual bit of gear mate
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Dec 2017, 6:32 am

If it is an original pre-64, grab it with both hands and send it to me!!!! :friends:
Otherwise, if it is one of the 1980's built Featherweights, grab it anyway. Excellent rifle in the "best" chambering. :D
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 22 Dec 2017, 8:02 am

lots of info online for winnies, found out my super grade was made in south carolina by FN/herstal in 2013. it is a controlled feed 6.5x55 model. had my eye on a 1973 70 xtr in 243 in a local shop, but i was too slow. hope you get yours stix :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 22 Dec 2017, 8:26 pm

Gamerancher wrote:If it is an original pre-64, grab it with both hands and send it to me!!!! :friends:
Otherwise, if it is one of the 1980's built Featherweights, grab it anyway. Excellent rifle in the "best" chambering. :D

I cant remember what vintage it is...but ill be doing my best to get a tight grip on it...& it wont be going anywhere...!

The "best" chambering you say...???

Im looking forward to owning one thats for sure...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 22 Dec 2017, 9:19 pm

Thanks bigrich, so do i...ive got a reasonable chance of getting it...just depends on whether someone else who's known him longer decides they want it more i guess...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 23 Dec 2017, 7:59 am

Just showing my personal bias towards an excellent "all-rounder", especially considering the title of this thread. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 23 Dec 2017, 6:24 pm

Yea goodo gamerancher...& thats why i want one...the people i know whom have owned, loaded for, hunted with & shot a .257 are just as adamant as you yourself...!!

I know of 2 blokes, both of whom have offered to give me first dibs on their .257's...
Im keen on the Win mod 70, but the other unit will shoot better being a custom build.

Ill post up here when & if i ever get either of them...
Cheers
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 24 Dec 2017, 6:45 am

i picked up a couple of new guns in a swapsie deal with my local gunshop. don't send me hate mail fellas but i traded out of my zkw. i already have a krico 400 hornet that groups amazing anyway. i picked up a deluxe krico 22 lr with adjustable trigger , and it really is in amazing condition for a 50 year old rifle. i wont be suprised if it shoots rings around my cz 452 super match. and the other beutty is a 1974 mod 94 that's basically new. hardly a mark on the stock and nearly perfect blue.did a like for like deal with a marlin on the winnie, the krico 22 i already had a deposit on . local GS will probably close the doors when they see me coming after all the paperwork they had to do :crazy: i reckon i done alright, that zkw didn't group well at all. no hate mail please stix .... :lol:
Attachments
SAM_0585.JPG
1974 '94 in new condition
SAM_0585.JPG (801.31 KiB) Viewed 7231 times
SAM_0584.JPG
krico deluxe 22lr
SAM_0584.JPG (798.27 KiB) Viewed 7231 times
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 24 Dec 2017, 6:49 am

:x

Betrayed...
Stabbed in the heart...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 24 Dec 2017, 7:23 am

aawwww, c'mon stix, my krico hornet shoots heaps better than a crappy old brno :lol: probably get lots of hate mail now :sarcasm: . the money i'm not spending on sorting the zkw i'm saving for rebarrelling my krico 22-250. does that make it better mate ? :D . thinking about a "tree change" moving out a hour past Toowoomba to get on a couple hundred acres and shoot whenever i want. should be able to sell my suburban block and get house and land outright. should be able to drive into town for work, it's looking good but
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 24 Dec 2017, 9:24 am

l see what you have done bigrich (bigyrat) :sarcasm: :lol: :lol:

sometimes it is better to move them on but sometimes it better to learn from them and it can be a lottery when buying secondhand
most shooters will never sell a really accurate rifle unless they are in a really bad spot
I think you did ok in your deal :thumbsup: :drinks:

by the way to call a zkw a crappy old brno is blasphemy, may you rot in hell :sarcasm: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 24 Dec 2017, 2:22 pm

:lol: just kidding marksman. yeh i absolutely agree about the buying second hand can be a lottery at times. sometimes there's a reason a rifle is up for sale. from what i can gather the light sporter barrel mine was rebarreled with was moving around cause it had no barrel/rear sight band. all the ones i've heard off that shoot well after a rebarrel have a heavy barrel profile. didn't want to sink more money into it when i have a krico with a great trigger and a fresh varmit barrel. live and learn hey :drinks:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 24 Dec 2017, 9:14 pm

No hate mail mate...its all good... (sort of)...
Ill get over it i guess.
But gees i hope the bloke with the .257 rbts doesnt do to me what you did...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 25 Dec 2017, 6:58 am

trust me stix, ya woulda been sticking pins in a voodoo doll off me for years if ya had of bought it. it really did not shoot well at all. the gunshop thought they were getting the better end of the deal, but i'm gunna be cautious about going back in there. i couldn't have sold it privately to anyone in good consience . the GS on the other hand haven't treated me too good lately considering how much i have spent with them. getting a bit bored with killing paper , sick of waiting for mates with property to have the time to go out for a shoot. was thinking of looking into the "booked" hunts through "inland hunting properties". anyone heard anything about this ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 25 Dec 2017, 7:24 am

pretty exxy I have heard, dont just go for rabbits make sure if you do it get onto something with deer :thumbsup:

dont give up on getting your own property's though keep looking it will happen :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 25 Dec 2017, 10:55 am

thanks for the encouragement marksman. i'll keep an open mind , will look into the "farmer assist " through ssaa as well. i think the hardest thing is trying to be taken seriously cause i don't live on the land or have years of experience as a shooter. i am almost 50 but, so not into carrying like a goose on other peoples land
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 25 Dec 2017, 5:24 pm

I know that the ssaa farmer assist is a waste of time, unless you are clicky with the people who run it
when I had anything to do with ssaa little river a hell of a lot of people did the test and gave up on the idea after years of not getting a call
it is explained away very well by the management but the crux of it is, its not what you know but who you know,
even one of the very genuine and experienced RO's there complained about doing the test and not being given a go,
he contacted them on a regular basis but nothing, I would not waste my time with it if I were you,
you should ask there facility's manager if you can go to the range after hours and shoot the rabbits there as they were allowing some of the members do
but then again you have to be in the click first
better to do a letter drop really in areas you see a lot of rabbits and foxes :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 26 Dec 2017, 7:17 am

thanks for the heads up marksman. i have heard a lot about ssaa politics and such,when i was in the car club scene it was a who you knew thing as well. it's the reason i shoot at the ripley range instead of belmont. the folks out at ripley, manangement and shooters alike, are 99% chilled and easy to get on with. i do the RO thing quite often myself cause i want to help out with that site. i will probably look into inland hunting bookings, if i can get away a half dozen times a year that'll make me happy. talking to a mates dad last night, he might have a contact out at stanthorpe that'll let me onto 100.000 acres. be nice. i'll keep networking. thinking about applying for nsw national park permit. you heard anything about this ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 26 Dec 2017, 8:30 am

sorry when I was talking rabbits I had it in my head you were from vic :lol: :lol:

anyway no I dont know much about shooting at all in NSW anymore
I haven't shot in NSW for years as when I got into deer hunting in VIC the NSW hunting got brushed
I would like to take my son to shoot a pig one day though, I do miss that
the ssaa up your way may be different to the variety I have seen down here
but I cant say I would hope to much, I have found queenslander's to be very obliging people
there are a lot of opportunities to hunt red deer in QLD around the brisbane valley that I would try if I were you
I had family that lived near mount binga where a friend of there's shot red deer as pests, heaps of them
apparently they just shot them and put them in a pit, they were really regarded as vermin around orchards
these opportunity's for red lead up to others like pigs as well and will set you up for hunting
I had offers a lot of hunting opportunities in the area and wanted to but didn't and now the family has moved away
don't give up though keep trying, do the righty by people and you will get there :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 26 Dec 2017, 9:41 am

yeh marksman, respect for the landholder and his property is number one in my book. have come across the occasional young bloke at the range with a bad attitude, worries me about the impression they give at times. heard of groups of clowns trashing qaurters and playing up on those "booked" hunts. ruins it for the rest of us. i'll keep trying to get out there, but interest in history and the technical side of ballistics will keep me happy i guess. reloading is something i'm going to look into real soon. lots of good advice from people on this site. cheers ,merry christmas one and all
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Dec 2017, 7:08 pm

You won't be shooting in NSW National parks. Unless you want to lose everything and maybe wind up in jail.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Dec 2017, 7:17 am

hey gamerancher, i thought there is a liscencing system in place to hunt in nsw forests ? nsw forestry and DPI were signing people up for permits at the SHOT expo up here in brisbane about four months ago. has this changed ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Dec 2017, 8:57 am

State forests, you stated National Parks.
They did push for it here while the Shooters Party had the balance of power in State Parliament. It was a dismal failure that resulted in backroom deals being done by all other partys to circumvent their balance of power.
The public perception, mainly due to propaganda by the Greens and anti-gun groups, was that it would be carte blanche for all shooters in all National Parks.
The State Forests that are available for hunting are only open to "R-licenced" shooters. The NSW DPI website has all of the details and requirements.
Last edited by Gamerancher on 27 Dec 2017, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Dec 2017, 10:40 am

sorry gamerancher, my mistake. i did mean state forests. gunna look into the "R" licence .
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Dec 2017, 10:58 am

All good ol' mate. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2017, 6:00 pm

Sooo, has anyone shot a dog lately?

And what is your favourite caller\whistle?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Dec 2017, 7:15 pm

Yeah I have
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2017, 7:25 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Yeah I have

Good one. Any pics?
How did you getem

PS, must be truck loads of dogs out your way.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Dec 2017, 7:42 pm

Just went up to tell a bloke a couple of his cows were out and the dogs were coming out of his driveway
no more than a stones throw from his house
But didn't have the camera and forgot my mobile one of the rare times I didn't have either
So as the rule goes on here no pic's didn't happen that's why I haven't said any thing
My rifle is my third arm when driving out there good dog country
Had the 22-250 wished I had taken the new 7mm to try it out but wasn't thinking at all that day
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2017, 8:22 pm

Shame you didn't get a shot off. Maybe next time. :violin:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control