Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Post by marksman » 26 Dec 2017, 8:30 am

sorry when I was talking rabbits I had it in my head you were from vic :lol: :lol:

anyway no I dont know much about shooting at all in NSW anymore
I haven't shot in NSW for years as when I got into deer hunting in VIC the NSW hunting got brushed
I would like to take my son to shoot a pig one day though, I do miss that
the ssaa up your way may be different to the variety I have seen down here
but I cant say I would hope to much, I have found queenslander's to be very obliging people
there are a lot of opportunities to hunt red deer in QLD around the brisbane valley that I would try if I were you
I had family that lived near mount binga where a friend of there's shot red deer as pests, heaps of them
apparently they just shot them and put them in a pit, they were really regarded as vermin around orchards
these opportunity's for red lead up to others like pigs as well and will set you up for hunting
I had offers a lot of hunting opportunities in the area and wanted to but didn't and now the family has moved away
don't give up though keep trying, do the righty by people and you will get there :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 26 Dec 2017, 9:41 am

yeh marksman, respect for the landholder and his property is number one in my book. have come across the occasional young bloke at the range with a bad attitude, worries me about the impression they give at times. heard of groups of clowns trashing qaurters and playing up on those "booked" hunts. ruins it for the rest of us. i'll keep trying to get out there, but interest in history and the technical side of ballistics will keep me happy i guess. reloading is something i'm going to look into real soon. lots of good advice from people on this site. cheers ,merry christmas one and all
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Dec 2017, 7:08 pm

You won't be shooting in NSW National parks. Unless you want to lose everything and maybe wind up in jail.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Dec 2017, 7:17 am

hey gamerancher, i thought there is a liscencing system in place to hunt in nsw forests ? nsw forestry and DPI were signing people up for permits at the SHOT expo up here in brisbane about four months ago. has this changed ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Dec 2017, 8:57 am

State forests, you stated National Parks.
They did push for it here while the Shooters Party had the balance of power in State Parliament. It was a dismal failure that resulted in backroom deals being done by all other partys to circumvent their balance of power.
The public perception, mainly due to propaganda by the Greens and anti-gun groups, was that it would be carte blanche for all shooters in all National Parks.
The State Forests that are available for hunting are only open to "R-licenced" shooters. The NSW DPI website has all of the details and requirements.
Last edited by Gamerancher on 27 Dec 2017, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Dec 2017, 10:40 am

sorry gamerancher, my mistake. i did mean state forests. gunna look into the "R" licence .
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Dec 2017, 10:58 am

All good ol' mate. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2017, 6:00 pm

Sooo, has anyone shot a dog lately?

And what is your favourite caller\whistle?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Dec 2017, 7:15 pm

Yeah I have
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2017, 7:25 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Yeah I have

Good one. Any pics?
How did you getem

PS, must be truck loads of dogs out your way.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Dec 2017, 7:42 pm

Just went up to tell a bloke a couple of his cows were out and the dogs were coming out of his driveway
no more than a stones throw from his house
But didn't have the camera and forgot my mobile one of the rare times I didn't have either
So as the rule goes on here no pic's didn't happen that's why I haven't said any thing
My rifle is my third arm when driving out there good dog country
Had the 22-250 wished I had taken the new 7mm to try it out but wasn't thinking at all that day
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2017, 8:22 pm

Shame you didn't get a shot off. Maybe next time. :violin:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Dec 2017, 8:48 pm

Never mind always next time although the grass is getting too tall lately for anyone to see the dogs
unless you stumble onto them like I did
My dog numbers are down this year only got about 28 I've had a few health issues and couldn't get out as much
Normally get from 40 to 60 dogs on a good run per year
anyway such is life beggers can't be choosers
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2017, 9:01 pm

Didn't you have a knee replacement?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 28 Dec 2017, 9:17 pm

Thats a heap of dogs being dumped, or are some born and raised as feral dogs. I just cant imagine that many dogs being dumped in the one place and you coming across them. Dont get me wrong I am not disputing what you say. just dumfounded by the size of the problem.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2017, 9:21 pm

sungazer wrote: I am not disputing what you say. just dumfounded by the size of the problem.

Same here.

Come to think of it, did you get that very big dog?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 28 Dec 2017, 9:44 pm

sungazer wrote:Thats a heap of dogs being dumped, or are some born and raised as feral dogs. I just cant imagine that many dogs being dumped in the one place and you coming across them. Dont get me wrong I am not disputing what you say. just dumfounded by the size of the problem.

Alot.of dogs are breeding in the scrub up here not just being dumped. Because we can only shoot on "owned" land it leaves a sh@t load of country where they can breed up in total safety :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Dec 2017, 10:17 pm

Yeah OB had both done at once and ended up with a blood clot behind right knee 190mm long got two different
size legs at the moment ones swollen half as much again as the other at the moment
Yeah there is a few dogs here most if not all are wild the odd stray could be there but their wild by the time I get
to shoot them
We live in a fairly timbered area in a valley 70klm long and in places 20klm wide all back onto crown land and this is
where the dogs breed and build their numbers the only flat land is where the cane farmers grow crops
Two thirds of my dogs are shot while the cane is being harvested they come in for the stuff the harvesters kill or spook out into the open
I also shoot over the mountain range behind me for cattle station owners
The biggest problem for the cattlemen is piggers leaving dogs behind ones they can't find when leaving the property
they are usually big dogs bred for stamina and size then they breed with the wild bitches then you have a very capable dog

As Sungazer asked you rarely get a dumped dog most are wild ones and dingoes usually have small litters but these are wild dogs
and I have come up on a litter of 9 pups the mother looked like boxer x big bitch too so going by that this is why we are getting so many dogs
About a hundred square klm's bleed into this valley so its not a small area and ideal for dogs plenty of lantana for cover

And no OB haven't seen hide nor hair of it but the other big one turned out to be their neighbours dane X that was a bit of a anti climax
thought I was going to get a world record but nope false alarm

The new year I will be a bit more mobile hopefully and my numbers will be up again
Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by sungazer » 29 Dec 2017, 12:17 am

Yeah we get the odd one that runs off from piggers. They are not always very well trained, just throw in at the deep end for a fight. No wonder they dont come back.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Dec 2017, 8:28 am

Yeah sungazer we have had a problems closer to the city of wanna be piggers pinching dogs that look any good for pigging
take them out if they don't hang they leave them out there on the property or the main road :thumbsdown:
a lot of pigging up here can be done by driving along the roads just drop the dogs out when you come across pigs
When I was pigging with dogs I bred my own then you could get to good hangers by crossing good hangers it was no
trouble getting rid of the extra pups because the people knew your dogs and would wait for the litter to arrive
I never ever left a dog behind :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Jan 2018, 2:44 pm

From another unrelated forum.

Had a friend visit from out near Thargomindah the other day and he was telling me how bad the wild dogs are out that way. Told me how he mostly traps them nowdays rather than shooting (as in pic) and uses diesel as an attractant...sprinkles diesel around the trap site after it has been set and buried. Was also saying that the dingoes will lick the diesel soaked dirt off grader fuel tanks and reckons it's the sulfur in diesel they go for.

So there you go, another use for diesel.

Good LuckIMG_2948.JPG
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Jan 2018, 9:53 pm

Well there you go Oldbloke no wonder so much fuel goes missing out west the wild dogs are drinking it :lol:
although the dogs should be easy to get just drive along the road and shoot the ones that have run out of fuel :lol: :silent:
On a serious note though there could be something in that because one of the old doggers up here used diesel to
cover his scent at a bait he just had a little spray bottle I think it was a ladies scent bottle
Don't worry about the old wild dog he will adapt to anything mankind can come up with, He has so far to the point
a bitch will train her pups not to touch a bait

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Lumbajak » 15 Jan 2018, 1:53 pm

How do you fellas rate 223 on dogs? Particularly in the 150-300 yard range. Enough grunt or go the 22 250?

And No 6mm if I want that I’ll go better at 6.5.
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jan 2018, 2:52 pm

Lumbajak wrote:How do you fellas rate 223 on dogs? Particularly in the 150-300 yard range. Enough grunt or go the 22 250?

This has been discussed just recently.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7581
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lumbajak » 15 Jan 2018, 3:33 pm

:drinks: Thanks old bloke.
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Stix » 15 Jan 2018, 5:35 pm

Lumbajak wrote:How do you fellas rate 223 on dogs? Particularly in the 150-300 yard range. Enough grunt or go the 22 250?

If not .243, go 22-250 out that far...
Simples...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Smiley » 30 Jan 2018, 6:39 pm

Does anyone here use a FoxPro Inferno for dogs? I'm thinking of getting one but not sure how effective all those US calls are on Aussie game.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Jan 2018, 8:28 pm

Smiley wrote:Does anyone here use a FoxPro Inferno for dogs? I'm thinking of getting one but not sure how effective all those US calls are on Aussie game.

I've got the "Wildfire" and found some of the US calls on it not much use at all, like the Deer, Bear etc. The bird calls are good as is the wolf and some coyote. The group coyote calls I'm not too keen on and I've also downloaded a few farmyard animal calls as well.
FoxBusters have a great bird call and works well for cats, foxes and dogs.
In my area there is no deer so these might work elsewhere.
I find that the call can be set up upwind and away from your hide and this helps keep the dogs and foxes and cats attention on the call and away from you.
I also find that a fox whistle works well too.
The calls are not cheap but if your getting a bounty that'll help - none over here.
Cheers, ;)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Jan 2018, 8:35 pm

I wouldn't worry about a 22-250; Got the Tikka 6.5mm, use it; my mate uses a 270win and reckons anything under is too small and just asking to get bit!

Mines a 243w with 75gr Speer H.P., works very well. so the 6.5mm should have something around that weight etc.... ;)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 31 Jan 2018, 7:25 am

Got 2 dogs with the 223 last week actually. This one was the longest kill with my 223 that I've measured, 376metres
Attachments
2018-01-31 07.24.15.jpg
2018-01-31 07.24.15.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 6071 times
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control