Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Post by Stix » 09 Nov 2017, 9:12 am

Sungazer--thats interesting--i was under the impression 2206h is a different powder...
I used to use it in old 22-250 & .222 until the ol'mans supply has run out.
When it did run out, i replaced it with 2206h & got no results with those rifles.
Ive akso tried it in .204 & got nothing...so i have a bottle of 2206h that none of my rifles like.

Also what you say about filling case, thats what im led to believe also, however a BR guy i know is a fan of "a bit of air" in the case-he likes faster burning where he can for hunting, & adi book does recommend bm2 for 22-250.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Nov 2017, 9:42 am

Yep with ya now Stix well I don't aim for a spred I go for as close to a bug hole as possible with 22-250 :thumbsup:
I weigh every load by hand I don't use a thrower and keep all brass tidy I don't crimp and FL brass every time probably no
need but I do it's then consistent but with the light load it hardly even needs it :thumbsup:
Your rifle sounds very similar to mine same length barrel same twist so I think you will find a load quick with BM2 just find what
it likes in projectiles , get 3-4 powders load 3 of each with different projectiles and see which one gets the best group this is not
flawless but will get you some idea what it likes , use those you would like to use
Mine shoots sp's as good as Hornady Amax ( bug hole)it also gets the best bullet speed with BM2 I choronied all mine as I went
I found 55g projectiles were perfect and heaviest to get accuracy lighter ones probably would do as well but I stuck with 55g
for it hit hard , and accuracy couldn't better it
I would work up from minimum in 2g increments until it either closed or opened up the group once you get the tightest then fine tune
in 1g then .5g then .1g that will get you spot on but other people do it different ways that suit themselves
Some say a almost full shell should give best accuracy and that is true in most cases but for some reason the 22-250 likes a bit of
free board in the brass only about 2/3 full especially with mine and my sons with 24'' barrels 26'' ones like a little more
Anyway mate I won't babble on

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 09 Nov 2017, 10:26 am

Yes my rifle is same as yours...except i went cheap blued walnut, you have the laminate stainless by the look.

I just need to spend some quality time with it...finding that time is hard.
When i do ill put up some results...
For now i have a fire-forming load with a jammed proj that is about .2"-.3"...hopefully i get to the patch of bunnies on the farm before the virus does to use them up.
Cheers GDB :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Nov 2017, 8:00 pm

Went out to pick mangoes to make chutney and guess what :thumbsup:
Lucky I carry the rifle since the big paw print here you go also had my little offsider with me ( Grandaughter ) :thumbsup:
Attachments
20171110_183313.jpg
20171110_183313.jpg (244.69 KiB) Viewed 6156 times
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Nov 2017, 8:12 pm

Well done, :clap: one less but making mango chutney, what a waste of good mangoes...., :D

Interesting to see the hole digger too. I often dig a bit of a hole, poke a lamb or chicken bone in the back and set a trap back a bit - 15" or so from the entrance with a couple of sticks to funnel the dog/fox/cat on to the plate. Marvelous what turns up in the traps. :o
Last edited by RoginaJack on 10 Nov 2017, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Nov 2017, 8:12 pm

geez, ya timed that well, he was digging his own grave !
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 10 Nov 2017, 8:15 pm

Good stuff Grandad, now that's what I call spending quality time with the Grandaughter.. :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Nov 2017, 8:37 pm

Yeah Bigrich it's called '' TECHNIQUE ''
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Nov 2017, 8:41 pm

Yeah RoginaJack my luck it would be the property owner
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 11 Nov 2017, 8:16 am

Nice goin...!
Cant see any claret gdbush...where did you clock him...?
Or did your grandaughter scare it to death...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Nov 2017, 11:15 am

Shot him behind the other opposite shoulder Stix didn't hit bone blew up inside most are like that but 1 out of 10 isn't
and for some reason they punch right through big exit hole I found that all of them hit bone on the way in
H
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Nov 2017, 11:18 am

This ficken computer I was asking before being rudely interrupted by this computer , How is your load testing with the 22-250 ?
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 11 Nov 2017, 11:43 am

Ah load testing...i wish mate...i wish...

The rifle has been sitting in the safe for 3 f**kn weeks...
If im lucky ill get it in my shoulder in a couple of weeks.

Im having a mid life crisis mate...seriously thinking of throwing it all in to move to the bush & work rural...
Last i went to a range to sight in for a hunt 2-3 weeks ago, had to wait an hour for a bench, when it came free i was getting a target & my gear organised & some a-hole stole the bench so i wouldv had to wait another hour or so...
Id swapped my scope mounts over so all i wanted was 3-6 shots to check on paper then sight in at 100....it wasted 3-4 hrs of my day & still didnt get sighted in...!

It took a considerable amount of my being to summons the strength to just get in my car & leave, as if i let a bit of frustratiin out on this bloke, it probably all wouldv come out.

Its just bulls**t living & workin in the city when you just wana shoot.

Its perfect weather here now for load testing, but try get in a range at short notice...yea right...!!!
If i was rural id already have finished the next years load testing for every rifle....
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Nov 2017, 12:11 pm

YEP i'm hearing you I don't know how people live in cities I spent 14 days in hospital with my knees operation finished at 1pm
on the first day by 7pm I would have walked home if I could walk
I don't have problems like you mate i'm lucky enough to have 20 or more properties to do what I need to
Hope things look up for you soon mate

CHEERS
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 11 Nov 2017, 12:33 pm

Yea got the properties..well a few....its just the fact that its not worth drivin there without swagin it o/nite...
& not that i mind doin that, but if i lived rural it wouldnt be an all weekend excercise to throw a few rounds down a pipe to test a load...i could do it after work if ya get my drift.

I grew up shootin with the ol'man as a kid, back then it was a 40 min drive to shoot the s**t outa woteva you liked.

Now with traffic, & more "city folk" living semi-rural--you know the types that think they live in the bush cos they bought in a housing developement in the hills...they complain if they hear a .22lr go off on a neighbouring farm--
So niw its a 2hr drive plus to get anywhere to let off even a 222.

See what happens in next year or so...hopefully ill get out there.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 11 Nov 2017, 10:03 pm

what you guys are saying about travelling far enough to make noise has been a influence in my recent choice of rifles, 22 hornets and rimfires. gotta coupla 6.5's for real stuff. but gotta drive five hours to a mates property to use em.that's besides ranges, need more i think. only access i got at the moment. 20 properties is cheering grandadbushy.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Nov 2017, 5:10 pm

Gees i so want a hornet...i can see a lot of cheap fun with one of them...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Nov 2017, 5:48 pm

Stix wrote:Gees i so want a hornet...i can see a lot of cheap fun with one of them...

Wanted one myself, but settled for a 223.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 12 Nov 2017, 10:28 pm

Fair enough OB...
If i didnt hav a .204, 222 & 250 on hand id get a 223...
But i like the idea of the hornet pushing a 40 grainer @2500fps with 10gr or so of powder...so i just want one...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Nov 2017, 5:57 am

"But i like the idea of the hornet pushing a 40 grainer @2500fps with 10gr or so of powder...so i just want one..."

Just develop a light load for the 222. Same, same.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Nov 2017, 9:16 am

Nah, OB too much mucking around with developing Hornet loads in a 222 or 223. Fillers required, another can of powder blah, blah, etc. Just get a Hornet, a lot less headaches.

Hey, STIX that triple 2 doesn't have the bolt on the left side by chance; I'm after one.?
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 13 Nov 2017, 9:40 am

Hey OB...i didnt ask for a pragmatic approach, so enough with the sensibility...!!! :sarcasm: :lol:

I said "cheap fun" & "i just want one"...

Nothing sensible about it... :thumbsup:

Hey RJ...
My .222 doesnt have a bolt on either side mate...got a lever underneath tho...
Its a Martini in .222 Rimmed....so a singlt shot...
Love it to bits...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Nov 2017, 11:21 am

:clap: :clap: (DROOL) great rifle!
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 14 Nov 2017, 6:59 am

while i'm waiting for the PTA to go through on my hornet i took my weihrauch 60j in 22 mag to the range for a plink. i'm a newby shooter, was getting one inch groups for three shots at 50 with 50 gr federal. need more of that stuff grandadbushy called technique. lol. weihrauch has a bit of take up on the trigger, but it is the nicest trigger on any of my guns i've shot so far. so you guys reackon hornet is ok on feral dogs ? up to what range for the cartridge ? the nut behind the trigger probably needs more work.lol
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Nov 2017, 8:21 am

Well Bigrich I can only give you my personal opinion so here goes
Back when I had a hornet I had shot dogs out to 200yds or so but I do think you would be on the of being a little too far unless it's
a well placed shot , heart , lung would kill them but you may not find them
I would look at around 100-150 yds would be about perfect for the hornet although it would kill further out with head shots
Many people have different ideas of the hornet and its capabilities but I would feel comfortable with the distance I have given you with tougher shots
We have all done the unbelievable shot but that don't happen very often and also dogs are very tough and hard to knock down
The hornet is a very capable caliber for its size and one you will have lots of fun with at little expense other than the initial cost
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 14 Nov 2017, 9:08 am

Hey bigrich...Ive never had a hornet so i have no experience with the terminal performance of the round...so what grandadbush says sounds about what i would have thought...although i personally probably wouldnt shoot beyond 150 on dogs with an accurate rifle.

I prefer to find my target animal, infact see it fall over.

I dont know your shooting ability in the field but keep in mind that 1inch groups @ 50m at the range could equate to 4 inches or more at 150m in the field, when you take experience (or lack of), wind, no bench, adrenaline/buck fever etc into account...

Im a believer that its important to shoot live animals within your range/accuracy ability...

Seeing the target fall over in the scope at closer range does wonders for your confidence & ability compared to hoping you hit it at longer range &/or wondering how long it lives for.

Just my opinion mate...not trying to lecture...
Make sure you post pics of your first dead dog...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Nov 2017, 7:01 pm

Stix wrote:Hey bigrich...Ive never had a hornet so i have no experience with the terminal performance of the round...so what grandadbush says sounds about what i would have thought...although i personally probably wouldnt shoot beyond 150 on dogs with an accurate rifle.

I prefer to find my target animal, infact see it fall over.

I dont know your shooting ability in the field but keep in mind that 1inch groups @ 50m at the range could equate to 4 inches or more at 150m in the field, when you take experience (or lack of), wind, no bench, adrenaline/buck fever etc into account...

Im a believer that its important to shoot live animals within your range/accuracy ability...

Seeing the target fall over in the scope at closer range does wonders for your confidence & ability compared to hoping you hit it at longer range &/or wondering how long it lives for.

Just my opinion mate...not trying to lecture...
Make sure you post pics of your first dead dog...!

+1
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Nov 2017, 7:09 pm

See recommendations here: http://ssaa.org.au/hunting/what-you-can-hunt/

Just looking at the adi data, I'm now more inclined to say 120 meters max.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Nov 2017, 7:39 pm

thanks for the advice fellas, i guess ill have to just wait to get it and see how it shoots.was looking for a fox /bunny gun with a bit of style. it'll probably make my 22 mag redundant but. ha,ha. a mate has a cz 527 in hornet i had a go of and it impressed me with what it could do. i saw a early krico at my local gunshop that was reworked and reblued with a alan swan varmit barrel. early krico's are suppossed to have match triggers and be up there with anshutz. or so general opinions reackon. coulda gone 222,223, but i like old school stuff.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 14 Nov 2017, 7:48 pm

just looked at your ssaa link old bloke, yeh fox/rabbit/cats for me hornet, my 6.5x55 for everything else. shot when i was younger, it's bin a long time since. definately need more practice and getting to know my rifles, but that's the fun and challenge i suppose.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control