Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2017, 7:12 pm

RoginaJack
Your not wrong mate I always carry water and a cake of soap in the hilux just never know :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Nov 2017, 7:54 pm

Another one down haven't been for a week or so had the granddaughter got this one about an hour ago :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Attachments
20171104_184205.jpg
20171104_184205.jpg (217.05 KiB) Viewed 6205 times
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Nov 2017, 8:15 pm

Great work... :thumbsup:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 04 Nov 2017, 9:41 pm

does anyone know what sort of damage a 308 with 168gr zmax pills will do to a dog im hopefully going out to a property some time next year where theres dogs and pigs on it
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Nov 2017, 10:45 pm

Yep a good thumper the old 308 had one years ago and sold it don't know why I think I just had too many rifles back then
a very capable caliber and the damage with 168gr pill will speak for itself when you see it ( nasty end result )
The old 22-250 is good on dogs as well 55gr amax better still if you can hit bone on the way in as you can see on that one
should get a few more in the on coming days they have started harvesting again after the rain we've had
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Nov 2017, 8:12 pm

What did you use on him?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Nov 2017, 10:21 pm

YEAH Oldbloke a 22-250 55gr AMAX Hornady @ 3428 fps running 31.6 gr B/M 2 as I said a couple of posts back if you hit bone on the
way in then it will open up the exit the size of your fist at times or just turn their inside to pulp '' It's a very effective combination''
I hit her at 190yds according to the range finder
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Nov 2017, 7:45 pm

grandadbushy wrote:There ya go Oldbloke my tools of trade the black one 25-06 the other one is 22-250 both are Sako

Cheers

Yep, hit em in the boiler room with the 22/250 JHPs,, and they rattle when you pick em up. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Nov 2017, 9:20 pm

YEP DJ it rattled her when it hit her to shook the dust off her :lol: :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by sungazer » 08 Nov 2017, 8:04 am

Most of these dogs look like they would have been real good pets at some stage. If not them at least their parents. I just don't get people who either take untrained dogs into the bush or those that dump or leave their dogs behind.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 08 Nov 2017, 8:37 am

:thumbsup: good shooting grandadbushy :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Nov 2017, 7:36 pm

Nice bit of work & thread ..lovin it...!

Im with sungazer...dont understand the halfwits that do that to animals...they themselves should be dumped...

how many powders you tried with the Sako 22-250...?, & why have you settled on BM2...?
Ive had a small amount of time to throw a few rounds down my new one with 2208 & a cheap 55gn Sie GK...but ive never shot 22-250 with fast burning powder (well faster than 08'). I tried jamming & it loved it, but groups opened up when off the lands & chrono data was crap--it only liked hot load on paper~(.5"-55SIEGK/37gr/2208@3700fps with primers starting to flatten). I need to try 35gr load again as that looked ok except for a bad flyer, but chrono data is crap--best SD was 16fps.

Anyway, i dont want to hijack your thread, so just a quick answer on why BM2 will be appreciated...& ill ask questions/post results in the right thread later when i have more time.

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Nov 2017, 9:25 pm

Well Stix I used 2209 in my Ackley and it shot excellent groups once i sorted a few problems out with twist rate
So when I bought the sako it had a twist rate of 1-14 so I thought a faster powder would be ok because the 2209 wasn't doing
much as in grouping so I started using half way between max and min loads all with the same projectile 55g amax
First I went from mid to max and still not much but better than 2209 so then back to mid then started down to min but on the way
groups got better and better I got down to 32.5 g then went down in .2 lots till I got 1 ragged hole at 31.6 for 3428fps
I also tried other powders but couldn't get good groupings
I found the longer barrels like 26'' like my Ackley seems to like 2209 or other slower powder
My sako has a 24'' barrel and my eldest sons has 24'' also both use BM 2 and very low amounts and very accurate
It is also recommended in one of my ADI books for 22-250 but I've found it likes from 22'' to 24'' barrels although that is only my findings
I find it meters better than other powders as well
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Nov 2017, 9:30 pm

A bit I missed Stix all my rifles in 22-250 except for the Ackley get the most accuracy with flat base projectiles why I don't know
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 08 Nov 2017, 9:44 pm

Ok thanks
BM2 certainly meters well, especially in my crappy thrower that is of a red colour (i say crappy because its 1/10th grain accuracy is a joke--unless you are metering the air).
So much to try in powders & proj's...i dont want to shoot out the barrel finding a load.

What sort of ES & SD's do you get, or aim for...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Nov 2017, 10:20 pm

STIX what twist and what length barrel is it ?
I'll put up a pic of powders I've used to get grouping with 22-250 but still BM 2 is by far the best for me i'm looking for accuracy
and it gives good grouping all through from min to max Mate all guns shoot different but I don't think it will take much to work
up a load with BM2 and 55g amax or whatever your gun likes in that weight but it will depend on barrel length and twist I've found
Mate I'm old and ES&SD'S don't mean much to me whats their full name you can't teach an old dog new tricks but you can trick an old dog :thumbsup:

Also I got this bloke last night and went back today with the camera :clap: :thumbsup:
Attachments
20170818_180418.jpg
20170818_180418.jpg (66.7 KiB) Viewed 6005 times
20171108_213906.jpg
20171108_213906.jpg (146.59 KiB) Viewed 6005 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Nov 2017, 8:45 am

Yeah Sungazer I've had it for years I used to use it In my 222 was good but no good for 22-250 only a little bit left
I didn't think you could buy it anymore
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 09 Nov 2017, 9:00 am

GDBush-its a stock standard sako 85 varmint in blued walnut...so 14 twist & 24" i think.

Lol--im not out to trick an old dog...
The ES is Extreme Spread of all shots/velocities tested, the SD is the Standard Deviation which i think is the average velocity difference each shot is off of the average of all shots..
The chrono tells you all this stuff...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 09 Nov 2017, 9:12 am

Sungazer--thats interesting--i was under the impression 2206h is a different powder...
I used to use it in old 22-250 & .222 until the ol'mans supply has run out.
When it did run out, i replaced it with 2206h & got no results with those rifles.
Ive akso tried it in .204 & got nothing...so i have a bottle of 2206h that none of my rifles like.

Also what you say about filling case, thats what im led to believe also, however a BR guy i know is a fan of "a bit of air" in the case-he likes faster burning where he can for hunting, & adi book does recommend bm2 for 22-250.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Nov 2017, 9:42 am

Yep with ya now Stix well I don't aim for a spred I go for as close to a bug hole as possible with 22-250 :thumbsup:
I weigh every load by hand I don't use a thrower and keep all brass tidy I don't crimp and FL brass every time probably no
need but I do it's then consistent but with the light load it hardly even needs it :thumbsup:
Your rifle sounds very similar to mine same length barrel same twist so I think you will find a load quick with BM2 just find what
it likes in projectiles , get 3-4 powders load 3 of each with different projectiles and see which one gets the best group this is not
flawless but will get you some idea what it likes , use those you would like to use
Mine shoots sp's as good as Hornady Amax ( bug hole)it also gets the best bullet speed with BM2 I choronied all mine as I went
I found 55g projectiles were perfect and heaviest to get accuracy lighter ones probably would do as well but I stuck with 55g
for it hit hard , and accuracy couldn't better it
I would work up from minimum in 2g increments until it either closed or opened up the group once you get the tightest then fine tune
in 1g then .5g then .1g that will get you spot on but other people do it different ways that suit themselves
Some say a almost full shell should give best accuracy and that is true in most cases but for some reason the 22-250 likes a bit of
free board in the brass only about 2/3 full especially with mine and my sons with 24'' barrels 26'' ones like a little more
Anyway mate I won't babble on

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 09 Nov 2017, 10:26 am

Yes my rifle is same as yours...except i went cheap blued walnut, you have the laminate stainless by the look.

I just need to spend some quality time with it...finding that time is hard.
When i do ill put up some results...
For now i have a fire-forming load with a jammed proj that is about .2"-.3"...hopefully i get to the patch of bunnies on the farm before the virus does to use them up.
Cheers GDB :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Nov 2017, 8:00 pm

Went out to pick mangoes to make chutney and guess what :thumbsup:
Lucky I carry the rifle since the big paw print here you go also had my little offsider with me ( Grandaughter ) :thumbsup:
Attachments
20171110_183313.jpg
20171110_183313.jpg (244.69 KiB) Viewed 6157 times
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Nov 2017, 8:12 pm

Well done, :clap: one less but making mango chutney, what a waste of good mangoes...., :D

Interesting to see the hole digger too. I often dig a bit of a hole, poke a lamb or chicken bone in the back and set a trap back a bit - 15" or so from the entrance with a couple of sticks to funnel the dog/fox/cat on to the plate. Marvelous what turns up in the traps. :o
Last edited by RoginaJack on 10 Nov 2017, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Nov 2017, 8:12 pm

geez, ya timed that well, he was digging his own grave !
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 10 Nov 2017, 8:15 pm

Good stuff Grandad, now that's what I call spending quality time with the Grandaughter.. :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Nov 2017, 8:37 pm

Yeah Bigrich it's called '' TECHNIQUE ''
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Nov 2017, 8:41 pm

Yeah RoginaJack my luck it would be the property owner
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 11 Nov 2017, 8:16 am

Nice goin...!
Cant see any claret gdbush...where did you clock him...?
Or did your grandaughter scare it to death...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Nov 2017, 11:15 am

Shot him behind the other opposite shoulder Stix didn't hit bone blew up inside most are like that but 1 out of 10 isn't
and for some reason they punch right through big exit hole I found that all of them hit bone on the way in
H
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Nov 2017, 11:18 am

This ficken computer I was asking before being rudely interrupted by this computer , How is your load testing with the 22-250 ?
Member-Deleted

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control