Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Post by albat » 25 Nov 2016, 5:42 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Found this on another forum. Feral dog attack in WA.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-23/d ... section=wa

I posted an article a couple of weeks ago about a fella in queensland getting bailed up by a feral goat, and bigfella was saying its a good case for carrying a handgun on the farm,now this is a whole different ball game ive shot these buggers and in a pack they dont seem to have that much fear of a bloke they come in real close until you get one down the tube They should revisit the handgun argument especially for farmers alone in the bush that bloke could have sorted that out quick smart
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Oct 2017, 10:18 pm

I know its an old thread but it is an interesting one and one that is what I like doing
I've read from the first post last year and agree with everything what will bring wild dogs in
With the amount of ways that are used shows how adaptable the wild dog can be in choosing his prey
These are the animals that will adapt to survive if ever there was one and adapt they do
The post with the young girl that was bitten by a wild dog or dingo is I see she probably moved her face very close to
the dogs face and went to give it a peck on the nose and smiled at the same time as do most dog owners
But the smile alone or the showing of teeth at close quarters with a wild dog means aggression to the other and a snap
will follow
I'VE observed this many times over the years with dogs in play and around dead carcasses these rangers that kiss and cuddle
these wild dogs in zoos flirt with being bitten themselves although its wether they were reared in captivity or not even so you won't get the wild
out of them its always it the back blocks of their mind it is a naturally occurring instinct
Wild dogs can and do train their pups not to take baits this I have watched through bino's a bitch belting her pups every time they went near
a bait tied to a fence post she eventually walked away with her pups but not before they would sit and stay away from the bait
If only I had a video camera that day since then I've seen it twice more
This area she was in had been heavily bait for years almost to the point of too much because the programs were not working
and i'm presuming she was the end result from that hence the puppy training
I have found over the years there is no single thing that makes a good dog shooter I think most wild dog shooters would agree because
too many things come into play like LUCK, WEATHER, INFO on dog numbers WHERE to find them, HOW good of a shot you are, KNOWLEGE
OF THE AREA, AND the list goes on but A couple of good factors are QUIET, no movement and don't let the wind give them your scent

Cheers
Attachments
Pic_0828_032.jpg
Pic_0828_032.jpg (42.02 KiB) Viewed 6836 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Oct 2017, 10:25 pm

A FEW THAT DIDN'T MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT :D :D
Attachments
Pic_0828_031.jpg
Pic_0828_031.jpg (25.28 KiB) Viewed 6836 times
Pic_1004_035.jpg
Pic_1004_035.jpg (29.39 KiB) Viewed 6836 times
Pic_0921_034.jpg
Pic_0921_034.jpg (28.52 KiB) Viewed 6836 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Oct 2017, 10:28 pm

There are 55 others on that page alone but won't send them too many these couple will do 8-) 8-) :D :D

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 10 Oct 2017, 1:49 pm

nice skins grandadbushy, them dogs look pretty healthy
I've always had problems shooting dogs as most I can hear but cant get them out to where I can shoot them :unknown:
I had an encounter once when I shot a fallow deer and got my mate to open the gate while I left him there thinking I was pranking him as he had to walk to me and the car at the deer, as I got out of the car with a knife to bleed the deer a dog come out and started to bark at me, I froze as it growled and barked, it ran back into the bush when my mate came around the side of the car, the dog looked to be a blue healer gone wild
and yes I needed to change my jocks
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Oct 2017, 8:36 pm

What calibre grandadbushy?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Oct 2017, 9:32 pm

I mainly use 22-250 Oldbloke but for the big shots in a breeze I use 25-06 the one with the hole in him was facing me
sitting on his haunches at I think 362yds if I remember rightly it exited between his shoulder blades , :thumbsup: getting a lot of half grown
ones lately I've given the older ones a good doing over the last 3yrs and the younger ones are easy pickings not street savvy as yet :unknown:
shoot the bitch and I bet within 4 months or so you would have shot all her pups, they tend to hang in the area where they're born
until they're kicked out by the bitch or if young they stay in the area they last saw the bitch before being shot , they become cagey but stupid :thumbsup:
I have actually shot the last two of a litter of five shot the first one 6 weeks ago all about 9mths old :clap: :D :D
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Oct 2017, 9:36 pm

Well done. And thanks for the input.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Oct 2017, 10:05 pm

Yeah Marksman they're healthy alright they eat enough calves up here but they are some of the better ones I put on here
When I figure out how to get some photos from my mrs phone to the forum i'll send a couple more photos of the different
coloured ones I have shot I actually saw an albino dog about 4yrs ago and had seen him several times since but not long enough
time to get a shot away but 2mths ago I had the cross hairs spot on him he just stood there about 270yds out he looked so clean
and white ( as he'd just come out of the creek water ) he looked almost Majestic and guess what ? DIDN'T HAVE THE HEART TO SHOOT
HIM yeah I know what you're thinking '' PUSSY'' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The mrs didn't mind me not shooting him because she was with me the first time I saw him he wouldn't have been any more than about 9-10
weeks old he looked like a little pink piglet you could see the pink skin under the white fur '' BUT '' IF he gets the hairs on him again his nine
lives will disappear instantly no fear of that :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Oct 2017, 10:25 pm

There ya go Oldbloke my tools of trade the black one 25-06 the other one is 22-250 both are Sako

Cheers
Attachments
20171009_113030.jpg
20171009_113030.jpg (67.07 KiB) Viewed 6781 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Oct 2017, 10:28 pm

I tried to flip them horizontal but they kept ending up the way they are i'm still non a learners for this contraption

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Oct 2017, 11:43 am

Yep, know what you mean. Grandaddbusky.
I have a big feral dog I've been after for a couple of years now and had him in as close as 25yds. I'm sure he brings his own Lantana bush as cover with him, Golly Gee, he's hard to get a clear shot on.
I've only been out a few times this year and haven't sighted him as yet. The neighbours baited heavily about 6 months ago and I think that cleaned up a few stupid ones.
I find the 243w. using 70gr Speer H.P. sorts them out real quick.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2017, 12:39 pm

Yeah RoginaJack 243 best all rounder they make in my opinion but I couldn't get one for the love of me when at the time
so ended up with 22-250 as it was only for dogs and couldn't be happier with it although a 243 would have been good to
Yep they're like spooks you look the opposite way for a second then look back and there it is just standing there looking at you
one second ago there was nothing there
There is one thing I've found out over the years if you got a dog way off and it stays back or you hear him but can't see him use a little
mirror about 2'' no more give him a flicker 2-3 flicks every so often just enough to keep him interested keep yourself hidden so he can't see you
at all , I've got heaps like that so I've carried a mirror for years as much as ammo An old dogger showed me that many years ago he used a
dental mirror about 1.5 inches if your hidden well enough you can bring them right up to 2mtrs or so
I once hid in an old hollow stump that had a 4'' hole I could look through so I flickered the dog from 300yds or so right up to where I could
have shot it with a sqweegie bottle full or water
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2017, 1:40 pm

Here's a couple almost white and creamies all breeds 8-)
Attachments
20150925_162150.jpg
20150925_162150.jpg (373.8 KiB) Viewed 6448 times
20150925_173300.jpg
20150925_173300.jpg (71.5 KiB) Viewed 6448 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2017, 2:30 pm

HERE YA GO :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Attachments
20150925_180950.jpg
20150925_180950.jpg (20.78 KiB) Viewed 6447 times
20150915_182854.jpg
20150915_182854.jpg (82.03 KiB) Viewed 6447 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 11 Oct 2017, 3:16 pm

Them trail cameras that send you pictures in text messages are awesome, set up a bait and trail cam and just wait for the text. They are great bits of gear for pigs and dogs
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2017, 3:30 pm

They may be good but in 10 minutes a dog could be miles away by the time you got the text and then got there they
would be gone :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Oct 2017, 3:48 pm

Gee guys, when you're handling feral dogs and cats and pigs, please wear gloves. These ferals can carry some very nasty diseases.... :thumbsup: and wash hands well... :D

And thanks for that tip about the mirror, Grandadbushy, I'll give it a go next time. I haven't heard of that before; just goes to show you're never to old to learn a new trick. 8-)
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Oct 2017, 7:12 pm

RoginaJack
Your not wrong mate I always carry water and a cake of soap in the hilux just never know :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Nov 2017, 7:54 pm

Another one down haven't been for a week or so had the granddaughter got this one about an hour ago :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Attachments
20171104_184205.jpg
20171104_184205.jpg (217.05 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Nov 2017, 8:15 pm

Great work... :thumbsup:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 04 Nov 2017, 9:41 pm

does anyone know what sort of damage a 308 with 168gr zmax pills will do to a dog im hopefully going out to a property some time next year where theres dogs and pigs on it
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Nov 2017, 10:45 pm

Yep a good thumper the old 308 had one years ago and sold it don't know why I think I just had too many rifles back then
a very capable caliber and the damage with 168gr pill will speak for itself when you see it ( nasty end result )
The old 22-250 is good on dogs as well 55gr amax better still if you can hit bone on the way in as you can see on that one
should get a few more in the on coming days they have started harvesting again after the rain we've had
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Nov 2017, 8:12 pm

What did you use on him?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Nov 2017, 10:21 pm

YEAH Oldbloke a 22-250 55gr AMAX Hornady @ 3428 fps running 31.6 gr B/M 2 as I said a couple of posts back if you hit bone on the
way in then it will open up the exit the size of your fist at times or just turn their inside to pulp '' It's a very effective combination''
I hit her at 190yds according to the range finder
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Nov 2017, 7:45 pm

grandadbushy wrote:There ya go Oldbloke my tools of trade the black one 25-06 the other one is 22-250 both are Sako

Cheers

Yep, hit em in the boiler room with the 22/250 JHPs,, and they rattle when you pick em up. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Nov 2017, 9:20 pm

YEP DJ it rattled her when it hit her to shook the dust off her :lol: :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by sungazer » 08 Nov 2017, 8:04 am

Most of these dogs look like they would have been real good pets at some stage. If not them at least their parents. I just don't get people who either take untrained dogs into the bush or those that dump or leave their dogs behind.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 08 Nov 2017, 8:37 am

:thumbsup: good shooting grandadbushy :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Nov 2017, 7:36 pm

Nice bit of work & thread ..lovin it...!

Im with sungazer...dont understand the halfwits that do that to animals...they themselves should be dumped...

how many powders you tried with the Sako 22-250...?, & why have you settled on BM2...?
Ive had a small amount of time to throw a few rounds down my new one with 2208 & a cheap 55gn Sie GK...but ive never shot 22-250 with fast burning powder (well faster than 08'). I tried jamming & it loved it, but groups opened up when off the lands & chrono data was crap--it only liked hot load on paper~(.5"-55SIEGK/37gr/2208@3700fps with primers starting to flatten). I need to try 35gr load again as that looked ok except for a bad flyer, but chrono data is crap--best SD was 16fps.

Anyway, i dont want to hijack your thread, so just a quick answer on why BM2 will be appreciated...& ill ask questions/post results in the right thread later when i have more time.

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control