Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Post by RoginaJack » 03 Dec 2017, 11:05 am

Bigrich, You've got a 22mag, and a 6.5mm, then I'd be inclined to get the Krico,a lovely, German Rifle by the way, rebarreled to 22-250. Should fit right in the slot between the 22mag and 6.5mm.
I had a 22LR Krico and it could shoot fleas of a pig's back at 50 yds, beautiful rifle.
cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 Dec 2017, 6:48 pm

thanks for the advice guys, might have to keep the krico in 22-250 AND get a 243 ay GDB ? missed out on a 1973 mod 70 win xtr in 243 a couple of months ago, really wanted that one too. i reckon your right RJ, 22-250 will fill in the gap nicely. the 22 mag is a weihrauch hw60j ( they are decended from krico's ). bewdifull gun , lovely trigger too. i'm still in training(ha ha )on average i can group 25 mm at 50. seems to like cci ammo. after about 50 -60 rounds i shot a group of 3 at 50 that were touching today. cci 30 grain with ballistic tips. man was i stoked with that ! i'm NOT going to clean it after this range outing and see how it shoots next time. just as a experiment. some people reckon don't clean your barrel to keep good accuraccy in rimfires. i'll see what happens. i get what your saying about krico's RJ. i actually have a early krico in 22 hornet i should be picking up in the next couple of days. brand new varmit barrel on it and a tweaked trigger. turns out it was owned by allan swan the gunsmith, can't wait to shoot this one !
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 Dec 2017, 8:15 pm

Good on ya bigrich...!!!
Post a pic of the new girl.

I was going to suggest keep it as a 22-250 as you've mentioned you alresdy have a 6.5...a .243 is pretty close to 6.5...
But RJ has already suggested.

Do as i did, ive got 22-250 & 7-08 first, now im going to get my .243.

You wont like the .22 hornet mate, seriously no good for you...if you put it in the safe with a krico it will explode..
So send over to me...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 04 Dec 2017, 4:46 am

lol, good on ya stix. yeh i had considered 243 is close to 6.5 in capability. the krico is more lightweight than the 6.5 model 70 with heavy sporter barrel. this gun makes me look good but, have shot 1" group at 100 with norma ammo. i will probably buy and sell a few rifles before i settle on what i like a AND intended use. although GDB made a reference to what the heart wants.......i'm too much of a collector . as for hornet rifles stix, i also did a impulse buy on a brno zkm 465 hornet as well. hope my safe doesn't explode too badly ! lol. back too 22-250, doing some reading and i think it was chuck hawks or terminal ballistics made a reference that 22-250 is extremely flexable and could be loaded down to 1500 fps and still retain consistant accuracy. not that i would go that low, but i'm thinking about pulling fps back through reloading to prolong barrel life. opinions ? if i rebarrel but keep it 22-250 should i change the twist rate for projectile weight flexability ? opinions ? how do you post pics on this site ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 04 Dec 2017, 6:19 pm

Hey bigrich, im not that technical in the twist rate side of things...for 22-250 i just leave it the well alone as a 50gr-55gr is all i use...
I have heavier chambered rifles for heavier projs.

To post a pic, (keep in mind im using a mobile atm)...i have to press 'full editor', then 'upload attachment' tab & follow your nose to select the file from your device/(computer/phone).
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 04 Dec 2017, 7:03 pm

ya probably right about that stix, i like looking into all options but. i got a mate who uses 223 for everything up to goats/ smallish-medium pigs. all with 55 grain super X soft points.is the 22-250 capable of the same performance with good shot placement or does the velocity make the projectiles more prone to "blow up". any recomendations on factory ammo for small - medium game? leave hollow points for smaller stuff like cats and foxes ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Dec 2017, 9:24 pm

Hey bigrich I shoot mostly with 22-250 my main rifle is a 1-14 twist and it loves 55 grain also had a 1-8 it loved 69 grain
and a 1-10 it loved 69 grain as well but 60's were better ,with the 1-8 I went to 80 grain but it wouldn't stabilise them so stayed
with 69 grain
My personal opinion is if you want to push the 22-250 over 69 grain projectiles you would be better off with a 243
my Ackley threw them a fair way but the standard rifle slowed down a bit compared to 55 grain
The 1-14 won't handle 69 grain or 60 grain
So I would say 1=14 up to 55gr
1=10 up to 60-69gr
1=7-8 up to 69gr comfortably
This is my experience but others may have a different idea on it

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 04 Dec 2017, 9:59 pm

exactally what i sort off was thinking with projectile weight GDB.. at a certain point stepping up to 243 would make sense. this 22-250 krico i'm getting is a light weight classic german sporter and i intend to keep it that way for a walk around and "mountain" type rifle. not interested on fitting this with a varmit barrel at all. it's lighter than my 6.5 mod 70, and for the wild dog , fox,cat , goat and smallish pig that i'm likely to encounter on my mates block i think it should be spot on. factory soft point 55 grainers will work ok ya think ? winchester do a 64 grain deer round for 22-250. that made me think about twist rate.i think allan swan makes a 1=12 twist barrel. does anyone think this would be a good compromise for 55 grain and 60-64 grain projectiles ? would like to keep the ability to shoot 55 grainers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Dec 2017, 10:28 pm

My son's rifle in 22-250 is a 1-12 and it handles 60 grain 0k but had to fiddle to get the 69 grain to shoot it got .7
but with 60's it would clover leaf most times
My sako 85 has over 3000 documented rounds through it and still shoots from clover to.7 but I don't know for how long
its 1-14 s/s 24'' I only run 31.6 grains of b/mark 2 the lowest in the ADI manual
Mate you may just have to fiddle a little with it but it should shoot clover leaf if the barrel is up to scratch :thumbsup:
By the way what twist rate is it

Cheers :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 05 Dec 2017, 5:16 am

not sure yet, because of it's age you would assume it's 1=14. it still has it's original made in stuttgart barrel on it. another reason for buying it, it hasn't been messed with.1=12 and reloading sounds like the best compromise for projectile weght then. gunna try it as is but it probably will get a blued swan barrel in original profile in the future. using it as a walk around what scope would you run GDB ? 4-12x40 ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 05 Dec 2017, 11:03 am

Hey big rich...for what its worth, my view on walk around/hunting most things type rifle is min .243 up...so your 6.5 would be perfect-you will kill everything emphatically with not much recoil.
Unless you are walking around popping long range bunnies/foxes etc then carry the 22-250.
Any general hunting/varmint bullet out of the 22-250 will explode more than if it came out of a .223 purely based on velocity...& that is the reason we 22-250 users like them--speed=pop...!
So like sungazer said--be wary of slowing things down too much...
Use the 250 for its velocity, or give it to me & get a .223...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Dec 2017, 3:13 pm

I've got a Ziess 4-12x50 plex with my 31.6 gr BM 2 I still get 3425fps so its not slow I use 55gr Amax Hornady
my opinion is 22-250 thrives on 40 to 69 gr projectiles they do shoot heavier but you may as well go to 243 as I said before
As for speed the caliber is inherently fast but when it comes to accuracy your rifle will tell you how fast and how much powder
to use to get that accuracy but still follow the guidelines of safe loading
My rifle likes the projectile just off the lands not touching or it opens up to 3/4''
You most likely will try several powders and different brands of projectiles until you find what your rifle likes
I set my scope to 11/2'' high at 100 yards and i'm good to 300-350 yds without to much elevation needed but you will get used to
your rifle and know how much is needed
I use soft nose for pigs 55gr spitzers and Amax for all else 55gr hornady what ever doesn't drop in their tracks then they sure know
they've been hit
As was said by the other blokes speed is the best of the 22-250 so I wouldn't down load it at all stick with the min and max and you won't go wrong

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 05 Dec 2017, 3:36 pm

thanks heaps for the advice fellas, a lot of stuff i thought has been confirmed, makes it easier for a newbie when ya get good advice to point you in the right direction. i really like the technical side of this game, that's why i ask a lot of questions. i was into muscle cars/ hot rods for about 30 years, used to fabricate a lot of stuff,hand build and modify carbys and stuff. finding it a good transition into firearms. hey GDB, the 50 mm objective lense on the scope you recommended gives a wider feild of veiw basically doesn't it ? i picked up a second hand ziess 4-12x40 that i was going to mount on my varmit barreled 22 hornet . that sound good to you ? ya probably right about the 6.5 as a walkaround stix, guess i'm try to think of excuses to buy more rifles.lol. i pretty well much got the whole "rifle battery" thing now .only other thing i might grab is a 308/30-06. might work out the photo thing and throw up some pics. cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Dec 2017, 3:43 pm

Nothing wrong with the 4-12x40 mate ziess have good glass as do Swarovski which is the other scope I own
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 05 Dec 2017, 3:56 pm

i put a vx2 3-9x40 leupold on my 6.5. awsome scope.gunna try to stick to a few "key" qaulity rifles with good scopes rather than having a lot of so-so stuff. still ya just gotta try and buy even if it's just for the experience. i try to buy and trade in second hand, just watch and wait till i see a good buy. paid $300 for that ziess. got it of a mate of a mate. in new condition. if i go whole hog with that 22-250 krico i will probably put a new leupold on it. might sell of one of my hornets to finance that. ya listening stix ? lol
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Dec 2017, 3:59 pm

I think stix might like that
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 05 Dec 2017, 4:04 pm

here it is, me mod 70 6.5x55
Attachments
SAM_0579.JPG
SAM_0579.JPG (802.39 KiB) Viewed 6107 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Dec 2017, 4:12 pm

Nice mate
As the boys said you have that you don't need a 243 you already have a little of a better thing

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 05 Dec 2017, 4:34 pm

dunno mate, the fellas at my local gunshop reckon ya cant have too many ! lol. just out of curiosity GDB, what's your collection and their uses ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Dec 2017, 4:38 pm

any one else got a "rifle battery" and their uses they want to share ? "just because " is a valid reason for collecting by the way....lol
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Dec 2017, 5:59 pm

Soooo,,, what's wrong with the mod 70 6.5x55?

Seems a capable round.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 05 Dec 2017, 6:34 pm

hey OB, mate i love my mod 70 . this is my one qaulity all rounder i wont part with. just been practising on paper atm, trying to get in the feild over x-mas.i have got 1" groups out of this with norma 156 grain vulkan ammo. only complaint is trigger gets real heavy just on realease. gunna get it tweaked in the not too distant future. i'm in the process of trying and sussing out various rifles/ calibers , building up a collection for appropriate uses. and some are "just because". lol. interested in experianced shooters veiws and opinions and what they use and why.did shoot when i was youger , getting back into it now
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Dec 2017, 6:46 pm

If it will shoot OK with a 120gr pill should do the job on dogs OK. Not much different to 243 or 7x57
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 05 Dec 2017, 6:57 pm

:lol: :lol: what's your opinion on 22-250 for dogs OB ? love the uncle fester profile pic by the way.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Dec 2017, 7:07 pm

Looks good. But no experience at this stage. Hardly any dogs down my way. Just the odd one or two.
I'm just going to use what I'm carrying at the time. 223 or 3006.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Dec 2017, 7:08 pm

PS. It's actually my picture. Not uncle fester, where did you get that idea? :allegedly:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 05 Dec 2017, 7:20 pm

ha ha good on ya OB. got two propertys lined up ,one down tenterfeild way and one at stanthorpe. both have issues with the usual pests, but the dogs are what is causing the landowners the most grief with livestock loss and such. 6.5 will be a good all rounder. had a m38 years ago that was super accurate and i shot rings around some mates at the time with that rifle. never forgot how good a "all rounder" it was. have a PTA on a classic krico 600 in 22-250 coming, quite a few fellas on here reckon it would be great for bush puppys. it's a lighter rifle in a flatter shooting caliber, would rather carry that around if dogs and goats are the biggest thing i come across.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 05 Dec 2017, 9:13 pm

I wasnt listening cos i was a mile underground...but i sure felt my ears burning...!!!
I bags the brno...!!!...lol.

Hey i like higher mag than just 12 on a 22-250...i rekon go up to 18x as long as the scope weight doesnt upset the balance of the outfit if its a carry around job...

Ine n a half days left in the filthy hole, one horrible flight home in a tin can, ine day of work at home & then me & my 250 (fingers crossed) are off to bowl some bunnies...
Omfg i cannot wait...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 06 Dec 2017, 5:16 am

ya do fly in-fly out work stix ? looked into that line of work, but decided not for me. pays bloody good but ! i'll probably stick with a 4-12 as i do want to use it as a light weight outfit. that and my skills aren't up there yet. picking up my old krico hornet this arvo, will post a pic. yeh well if i do decide to part with my brno hornet i'll give ya first dibs stix. i'm doubling up too much on rifles for uses. i have a weihrauch hw60j in 22 mag i don't want to part with, so the brno might have to go.liking the idea of a brno in 30-06 i saw on used guns........lol
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Dec 2017, 8:15 am

bigrich, you can reload that 6.5 x 55 with 85gr bullets @ 3400f/s, that'll be a lot more effective on dogs than a .22-250 and shoot almost as flat.
The Norma load you are using is about as heavy a bullet as you can get for a 6.5.
Try 100gr ballistic tips as well, you can launch them out of a Swede @ 3200 f/s. Again, flat shooting and a lot better down-range energy than you'll ever get from a .22-250 or .243 win.
With a range of bullet weights, from 85gr through to 160gr, a good range of affordable, quality brass available, and an inherent accuracy that others dream of, the 6.5 x 55 is about as good an "all-rounder" as it gets. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control