Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Post by bigrich » 06 Dec 2017, 5:52 pm

22 hornet probably not the greatest caliber for bush puppys, but wabbits cats and foxes lookout ! have found stuff online where fellas have been head shooting pigs and goats with hornet, i'm not that game. that's what my 6.5 and 30-30 are for. been looking at 17 hornet, ballistically very interesting. flatter trajectory and longer mpbr. found youtube stuff of guy consistantly shooting at 300. at least till the wind picks up :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Dec 2017, 7:03 am

okay fellas, finally got a great old krico 600 in 22-250. wasn't expecting much out of a old 250, but yeah . the barrels shot out. erratic grouping at 100. so, these krico 600's also came out in 243 and 308. was thinking if i re-barrel, why not jump up to 243.already checked and 243 rounds fit the mag no worries. bear in mind i already have 6.5 swede rifle, 30-30 and a great 22 hornet. opinions ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Dec 2017, 7:13 pm

Is this a deja vu moment? :crazy: I'd stick with just rebarreling the 22-250, the 243 and 6.5 too close.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Dec 2017, 7:56 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Is this a deja vu moment? :crazy: I'd stick with just rebarreling the 22-250, the 243 and 6.5 too close.

I agree. The reality is that just 3 or 4 centerfires is all you need. So what if you are a little over gunned once in a while.
The game don't care.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 19 Dec 2017, 8:02 pm

yeh, your right RJ, deja vu. it's a project that's not gunna happen overnight, but ounce it's rebarreled that's it. i like the "collector" side of the firearm thing. not to say i don't want to go in the field but. something that can really reach out would be a asset to my rifle collection.243 is a bit more versatile, but yeh already have 6.5. has a really awsome trigger on it.has three adjusting screws, feels awsome. spoke to my local gunsmith today about it, and he seems to think it may have been brought into the country a long time ago privately. check the photos
Attachments
SAM_0583.JPG
SAM_0583.JPG (800.56 KiB) Viewed 6871 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Dec 2017, 8:05 pm

krico deluxe sporter. it's a late 60's build i think
Attachments
SAM_0582.JPG
lovely old german workmanship
SAM_0582.JPG (796.6 KiB) Viewed 6870 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Dec 2017, 8:18 pm

the mag is spring loaded, you push the release catch and it pops out into your hand. everthing is metal. i agree OB, being a little over gunned is better than under gunned. in reallity a 22lr, my 22 hornet and my 6.5 are all i need. but i fell in love with a weihrauch 22 mag that has started shooting 1' groups at 100, ya should have a 30-30 for scrub country, just put in a PTA on a krico 22lr that will probably turn out to be a tack driver. it's a sickness i know..... :lol: yeh probably will rebarrel in 22-250. the other calibers optional on this action were 243, 5.6x57 rws, 308 win. they did make a 222 but i cant go down to that with my bolt
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Dec 2017, 8:25 pm

I have never seen the point of rebarreling. For the same price you could buy a replacement rifle in most cases.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Dec 2017, 8:32 pm

I have a 223 and two 3006s. The 223 uses 55gr bullets the 3006 is loaded with 180gr bullets for sambar when I get the chance to get out. I fancied filling the gap with a 7x57, 7mm08 or perhaps 243 for fallow and perhaps a dog or two. Instead I'm going to load the spare 3006 with 130gr SPs. It will be close enough. I pick up the pills tomorrow and a scope in a week or so with luck. Thanks to Brett. Yes 110s would have been better but they are often unstable so 130s it is.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 19 Dec 2017, 9:22 pm

bigrich wrote:okay fellas, finally got a great old krico 600 in 22-250. wasn't expecting much out of a old 250, but yeah . the barrels shot out. erratic grouping at 100. so, these krico 600's also came out in 243 and 308. was thinking if i re-barrel, why not jump up to 243.already checked and 243 rounds fit the mag no worries. bear in mind i already have 6.5 swede rifle, 30-30 and a great 22 hornet. opinions ?

I'm all for rebarreling but what have you done to make sure it is shot out :unknown:
being a sporter I wouldn't expect comp accuracy but how long is the throat? have you checked the crown/muzzle or bedding ect?
I usually have a list of things done or try before considering a barrel dead ;)
being an older krico I wouldn't expect it to like heavier than say 50 grainers but maybe 55's
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 19 Dec 2017, 9:26 pm

yeh OB , could go out and get a weatherby/howa , tikka rifle that would shoot moa out of the box no worries for not alot of money. i spent 30 plus years playing with hot rods and restoring old v8 holdens and such. restoring old world stuff just appeals to me i guess. 22-250 keeps it more original, will go with a blued barrel in the original profile as the schnabel forend stock is quite slim. the metal to wood fit is really really good. 7x57 would be a caliber i would have if i didn't like 6.5 swede so much.they are very similar on paper in most respects. on properties i have access to, large pigs and possibly red deer are the biggest game i am likely to encounter. hearing alot of people talking about feral dog problems lately, as you and RJ have already said 22-250 is real good for pooches, as you've said above though OB, 243 can do deer and has more projectile weight flexability. 55-105 for 243, 120-160 for my 6.5. thinking more in terms of projectile weights than caliber on this subject. love discussing this with more experienced shooters to get perspective. cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Dec 2017, 9:37 pm

hey marksman, i bought this rifle knowing it had pitting and would probably need a rebarrel. at 100 it was grouping very erractic 3 inch groups with a occasional flier ! was wanting to keep it as a classic german sporter rather than a dedicated varmiter with a heavy barrel. that's one of the reasons i was considering jumping up to 243. occaisional shots on the move rather than culling. any tips on the barrel you could give me would be appreciated. one unusual thing was the metallic "ring" after each shot. is this a 22-250 thing or are the projectiles wobbling down the worn barrel ? :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 19 Dec 2017, 9:59 pm

not sure about the metallic ring but try fit a projectile in the crown to see how worn it is or how far it will go in
if the projie falls in it's cactus, barrels need to be tighter at the muzzle than the chamber to shoot well
I spend to much time on second hand rifles to get them shooting, some really surprise me
as I said I'm all for rebarreling, but myself I would leave it 22-250 but with a tighter twist for heavier projies
the 22-250 should be legal for fallow IMO
probably get lothar walther barrel in the right contour already, the krico's are a very well made rifle made with quality materials

also if you have a look at terminal ballistics website for some tips on how to get a factory rifle shooting might be worth your while
just remember the guy who's website it is is out for your money and believe's there is only his way, not true of course there's a few ways to skin a cat
I forgot to say dont be surprised if you ask a question to be told to buy his books for the answer :drinks:
Last edited by marksman on 20 Dec 2017, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 20 Dec 2017, 5:05 am

very good advice marksman, and everybody else, thanks. probably will look at rebarreling in 250, allan swan gunsmithing is half hour from my place, probably get him to do it. already spoken to him about a few things and he seems a knowledgable old bloke with a good reputation. krico's are a very good thing, which is why i own three. lol. terminal ballistics is a good resource site i use along with chuck hawks. chuck is probably the most unbiased gun writer i have come across. terminal ballistics does seem to have some unusual veiws on some things,but then so do a lot of people. never really been into online forums but i find this one to be a good one . will pull a projectile and see how it fits. wouldn't be supprised if it rattles down the barrel. cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 20 Dec 2017, 5:55 am

...Hey bigrich...

As RJ said...haven't we been over this ground...?

You have a 6.5 mate, dont get the krico barreled to a 6...especially when you dont have a 222/223/22-250 & your next step down is a hornet...thats just crazy...

Go with marksmans advice, & when it comes to a rebarrel, keep it 22-250, or at worst go the AI version...

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 20 Dec 2017, 6:53 am

Yup, thanx for the input stix . Sticking with 22-250 is the smart move. Just wanted to go over this again to make sure before rebarrelling. That range of calibers does give me a nice spread. That krico hornet rifle has gone to gunsmiths to have a mag feed issue sorted, but mate, it was shooting clovers leafs at 50 on a new barrel and my skills ain't up there yet. Definitely a keeper. Got a krico in 22lr coming as well that should be a great thing
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Dec 2017, 12:09 pm

Hey OB, loading the spare '06 with 130gr would also handle the smaller deer and pigs too...Quick thinking. eh
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Dec 2017, 12:33 pm

Yep, I don't get out often and not many around but I figured the 180gr projectiles were likely to just whistle through a fallow or dog.

So just making use of what I have at hand. I picked up a box of 100 hornady 130gr today and should have a new 3-9x40 scope in a week or two. A much cheaper option than buying a new rifle and scope. The only down side is the rifle is a bit on the heavy side, that is why I bought the other 3006. But I will mostly use it in flat country.

I think some times people get a bit over excited about having a rifle for every occasion. As long as your not under or way over gunned it will do the job 95% of the time.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 20 Dec 2017, 1:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I think some times people get a bit over excited about having a rifle for every occasion. As long as your not under or way over gunned it will do the job 95% of the time.

good point Oldbloke, but some of us just think if one is good two is better and three is much better and four is, well much better again :lol:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Dec 2017, 1:38 pm

marksman wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I think some times people get a bit over excited about having a rifle for every occasion. As long as your not under or way over gunned it will do the job 95% of the time.

good point Oldbloke, but some of us just think if one is good two is better and three is much better and four is, well much better again :lol:

:unknown: :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Dec 2017, 3:25 pm

My shooting partner uses a 270win. on dogs and reckons anything less is too little. That is one thing about the 30 06 it is and also will be a very versatile cartridge.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 20 Dec 2017, 3:39 pm

bigrich wrote:Yup, thanx for the input stix . Sticking with 22-250 is the smart move. Just wanted to go over this again to make sure before rebarrelling. That range of calibers does give me a nice spread. That krico hornet rifle has gone to gunsmiths to have a mag feed issue sorted, but mate, it was shooting clovers leafs at 50 on a new barrel and my skills ain't up there yet. Definitely a keeper. Got a krico in 22lr coming as well that should be a great thing

Mate your'e such a nice bloke...you know...getting the mag feed issues on the Hornet sorted before you send it my way... :shock: :lol:

Im getting jealous of your little working collection already mate...!!!
I really do want a Hornet...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 20 Dec 2017, 8:47 pm

yeh well stix,spent a lot off years workin' hard blue collar jobs to get to a point where i can spend a bit on my hobbies. i'm buying and tring all the stuff i couldn't afford when i was a young fella. i probably will let a couple go before too long but. i don't mind shooting paper , more of a challenge to myself to get good learn and improve rather than trying to be better than the next bloke. trying to pin down a couple of mates with contacts to get out in field and take out some ferals. got burned on a brno zkw 22 hornet i think. looks great, new bluing fresh barrel ,stocks in good nick, it's even bedded. but it shoots 3 inch groups at 100 and point of impact changes drastically with change of ammo brand.any ideas ? i think the head spacing isn't right maybe. was thinking of moving it on as i like my krico better anyway what rifles you got stix and what do you use them for ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 20 Dec 2017, 9:14 pm

reload your 22 hornet using pistol primers, 40-45 grain projies and lil gun powder, use a lee crimp die to crimp the cases as the primer strike can/does move the projectile into the lands causing an upset as the oal will be different when it shoots
if that dont work you can sell it to me CHEAP cause you are a good guy :drinks:
if not rebarrel to 17 hornet, you will not regret it ;)
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 20 Dec 2017, 9:17 pm

RoginaJack wrote:My shooting partner uses a 270win. on dogs and reckons anything less is too little. That is one thing about the 30 06 it is and also will be a very versatile cartridge.

yes very true the 30-06 is a very versatile round, one of my fave's :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Dec 2017, 9:27 pm

[quote="RoginaJack"]My shooting partner uses a 270win. on dogs and reckons anything less is too little. That is one thing about the 30 06 it is and also will be a very versatile cartridge.[/quot

What weight bullets?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2017, 7:58 am

i just been shooting 45 gr rems, PPU, tried some expensive 35 gr winchester varmit x , all gave dismall results, 2 1/2" - 3" at 100 with the lighter rounds flying all over the place. my other rifles point of impact with different weights does not change that much at 100 but they are consistant. this refreshed old brno seems erractic in general. the smiths name on the side of the barrel is "baden hams" anyone heard of him ? shooting factory ammo out of my mod 70 6.5x55 156gr norma vulkans, 131gr s&b sp , at 100 the point of impact does not change and i have shot 1 1/4" with these. my 22 mag shoots 1" at 100 with 45gr win pp's, opens up to 2 1/2 with 30gr cci maxi's but point of aim is the same.by comparrison this brno is frustrating me. still a newbie so haven't got to reloading yet, still buying and trying different rifles to see what's going to work for me (and it is fun ! ) was talking to a fella at the range that had the same issue with a zkw and could't solve the problem. i have looked at 17 hornet marksman and it is a very impressive round. but as it is i've probably got too many bunny guns already. thinking about cutting my losses with this one and putting it down to experience. i reckon the bolt head spacing could be wrong, ppu ammo was tight to close the bolt on in my 22 hornet krico, but in the brno it's no different to other brands. all brands shot consistant and really well in my krico. suppose i could give it to my local smith , but how much money do you sink into a old rifle
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Dec 2017, 4:15 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:My shooting partner uses a 270win. on dogs and reckons anything less is too little. That is one thing about the 30 06 it is and also will be a very versatile cartridge.[/quot

What weight bullets?

130gr and uses the same for deer down NSW way. Me. I'm happy with the 243w using Speer 75gr HP. for dogs, foxes and cats.

Cheers.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 21 Dec 2017, 4:45 pm

bigrich wrote:yeh well stix,spent a lot off years workin' hard blue collar jobs to get to a point where i can spend a bit on my hobbies. i'm buying and tring all the stuff i couldn't afford when i was a young fella. i probably will let a couple go before too long but. i don't mind shooting paper , more of a challenge to myself to get good learn and improve rather than trying to be better than the next bloke. trying to pin down a couple of mates with contacts to get out in field and take out some ferals. got burned on a brno zkw 22 hornet i think. looks great, new bluing fresh barrel ,stocks in good nick, it's even bedded. but it shoots 3 inch groups at 100 and point of impact changes drastically with change of ammo brand.any ideas ? i think the head spacing isn't right maybe. was thinking of moving it on as i like my krico better anyway what rifles you got stix and what do you use them for ?

I dont have many mate...
Got the obligatory .22lr, a .204, .222, 2 x 22-250 (well actually 3 22-250's soon, as i just bought another one...you know, cos it was screaming at me), & 7-08.

Want to get a .243 for goats, so maybe next pay ill order that.
My ol'man is trying to line up an old winchester 32-20 lever for $200...gees i hope that comes through...!!!

And there is of course maybe one of your hornets mate...are you reading this marksman...?...!!...thats right, i put dibs on it a-ways back so hands off...!!! :)

Oh and a couple of shotguns that are no good to me--neither of them fit me so i shoot like sh*t with them..
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 21 Dec 2017, 4:49 pm

marksman wrote:if that dont work you can sell it to me CHEAP cause you are a good guy :drinks: ... ...

GGGRRRRRRR

:o :evil: :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control