.223 with heavy projectiles as a pig gun?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: .223 with heavy projectiles as a pig gun?

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2016, 6:48 pm

Gets back to the size of the pig and projectile. Along with a few other variables such as velocity, range, shot placement etc. As I said for smaller goats and pigs should do the job. But would not be my selection. Obviously u pass up shots on larger pigs. Better over than under gunned.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 30 Jun 2016, 7:36 pm

I've read somewhere, that 69gn+ projectiles would do the trick. Bonded/good quality controlled expansion bullets seems to be the consensus as well. I was thinking about working up my load, close to max with AR2208 - using 80gn hollow points. Still might try one day.

But majority of you are saying 30cal. So going to go with that as default.

Thanks!

Now... NSW/VIC border seems to be the go, but I had a look on Google maps and this side of the border looks a bit restricted and lacks enough vegetation (where I was looking anyway). So, if anyone feels like DM'ing me with some Vic locations for porkies, that would be very nice of you.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 01 Jul 2016, 9:13 pm

Most Buffalo or scrub bulls are less likely to be your friend.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 01 Jul 2016, 9:33 pm

Oooooo
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by David Brown » 01 Jul 2016, 11:09 pm

Start at 6.5mm or .308
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Jul 2016, 9:15 am

This is off topic but none the less interesting.

I have it on good authority that feral pigs have made it to Spalding South Australia with one grazier reporting a ewe had been eaten by feral pigs.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 02 Jul 2016, 9:55 am

I reckon buffalo and scrub bulls trump pigs as our most "dangerous" game. The stats on injuries to hunters would include "piggers" running around with dogs and knives.
The injuries would no doubt include things like twisted ankles and such from the chase. Be careful relying on statistics, unless you know what the parameters are. According to statistics, the most "dangerous" part of truck driving is getting in and out of the vehicle. Tell that to the hundreds who die in road accidents each year.
Personally, in over 35 years of hunting on foot, I've never had a pig "charge" me, the ones I shoot lie still (dead) and the others tend to vacate in the opposite direction, fast! Not saying it hasn't happened to someone but I reckon it gets blown out of proportion.
.223 for pigs? Why not, with a well placed shot at reasonable distance it will do the job. Hit one in the back leg with a 300win mag and it will still run away on the other 3.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 02 Jul 2016, 2:04 pm

It comes down to how big the pigs are, smaller pigs are fine with the .223 I would use something bigger for larger pigs.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 02 Jul 2016, 9:04 pm

Short answer is YES. Long answer is use Enough Gun. You have a Mosin and you have a .308 leave the .223 for the foxes and bunnies.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 02 Jul 2016, 9:06 pm

Ok ok I get it, 30 cal... Sheeesh.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jul 2016, 9:23 pm

But wouldnt the 308 destroy too much meat?

download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (10.56 KiB) Viewed 15398 times

I think everyone missed my point.
Projectile too big or too small, too fast or slow for the range. Perhaps too hard or soft. Good or poor placement. Every situation is different, and there are a lot of variables. I would argue that a subsonic 22lr is not enough for foxes, but plenty are shot with it in cool hands. I have shot foxes with no 6 shot, but would never recommend it. This argument could go on for ever. At 50 meters on a small pig with good shot placement I would not hesitate to take a shot with a 223. In the same situation with a texas heart shot with a 308 would be very crappy indead. If you get my meaning. And ruin the meat. And your outlook depend on if you are pest shooting or for the pot.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 03 Jul 2016, 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 02 Jul 2016, 9:57 pm

I'll add my 2 bob
I jave seen a few mates of mine drop some rather large pigs,deer with 222-223 rifles all comes down to shot placement. 308 at the end of the day wold be a more ethical calibre for the job. Now i did see someone say 300 win mag dont get me wrong great caliber however you'll tell anything in the next two post codes that your looking for them.

There are other options
7.62x39
30-30
22-250
300 blackout

End of the day they will all do the job, personally id be looking for something that you could constantly hit a 10c piece at 100
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 02 Jul 2016, 10:32 pm

Oldbloke wrote:But wouldnt the 308 destroy too much meat?

download (1).jpg

If that's a concern try youtube for "air rifle pig' , as they say pics or it never happened.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 03 Jul 2016, 4:04 pm

.308 destroy too much meat? Doubt it use a good quality cup and core projectile that won't fragment too much and you'll be sweet. Something like a light for caliber Ballistic tip or SST may destroy meat but if you stick to something like a 150gr + Hot-Cor or interbond you shouldn't have any trouble.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jul 2016, 5:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:But wouldnt the 308 destroy too much meat?

download (1).jpg

I think everyone missed my point.
Projectile too big or too small, too fast or slow for the range. Perhaps too hard or soft. Good or poor placement. Every situation is different, and there are a lot of variables. I would argue that a subsonic 22lr is not enough for foxes, but plenty are shot with it in cool hands. I have shot foxes with no 6 shot, but would never recommend it. This argument could go on for ever. At 50 meters on a small pig with good shot placement I would not hesitate to take a shot with a 223. In the same situation with a texas heart shot with a 308 would be very crappy indead. If you get my meaning. And ruin the meat. And your outlook depend on if you are pest shooting or for the pot.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Old Fart » 04 Jul 2016, 10:31 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Now i did see someone say 300 win mag dont get me wrong great caliber however you'll tell anything in the next two post codes that your looking for them.

A reference to shot placement, rather than saying a cartridge that large was required...

Gamerancher wrote:Why not, with a well placed shot at reasonable distance it will do the job. Hit one in the back leg with a 300win mag and it will still run away on the other 3.

:thumbsup:
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jul 2016, 11:45 am

Yeah, thanks Old Fart, that was the point I was making. I've been out shooting rabbits with a .22 when a dopey pig wandered into sight. Got to about 30m and was dispatched with a single shot to the brain. Now I would not suggest taking a .22 out to hunt pigs, but a well placed shot when the opportunity presents itself is viable no matter what is in your hands, if you have the capability to make it.. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2016, 10:41 pm

Just poke it in the head if you are concerned about its killing ability - haven't seen any get up if you do it right.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 05 Jul 2016, 10:25 am

Shot placement? Yeah, that's important but when you come up on a mob and they start running placing a precise shot isn't that simple so a rifle that lets you 'place' follow up shots is the go. 223 is fine, semiauto 223 is better :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Jul 2016, 10:33 am

So "spray and pray" is your preferred method?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2016, 10:54 am

Here we go again.jpg
Here we go again.jpg (10.8 KiB) Viewed 11203 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 12 Jul 2016, 1:13 pm

happyhunter wrote:Shot placement? Yeah, that's important but when you come up on a mob and they start running placing a precise shot isn't that simple so a rifle that lets you 'place' follow up shots is the go. 223 is fine, semiauto 223 is better :D

Sounds like an argument for something with a little more bang than a .223 to me.

A humble 2c.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 12 Jul 2016, 3:49 pm

ebr love wrote:
happyhunter wrote:Shot placement? Yeah, that's important but when you come up on a mob and they start running placing a precise shot isn't that simple so a rifle that lets you 'place' follow up shots is the go. 223 is fine, semiauto 223 is better :D

Sounds like an argument for something with a little more bang than a .223 to me.

A humble 2c.

Yea and perhaps something that cycles a little quicker than a bolt. Perhaps an M14?? :lol: :lol: :friends: we can only dream!!
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 12 Jul 2016, 11:33 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Pigs are Australia's most dangerous game.
While hunting them with a .223 isn't unheard of, I wouldn't recommend it especially if you have the much more suitable .308

Having enough gun is an important part of ethical hunting.

pigs arse they are .......... try buff
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 13 Jul 2016, 7:12 am

deye243 wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Pigs are Australia's most dangerous game.
While hunting them with a .223 isn't unheard of, I wouldn't recommend it especially if you have the much more suitable .308

Having enough gun is an important part of ethical hunting.

pigs arse they are .......... try buff

Not if you consider that pigs cause more injuries than buff. I think the other thing is people make sure they take enough gun for buffs. Some people just hunt pigs and don't ask the question Juststarting asked cause they heard it was fun and don't realise they're tough!
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 13 Jul 2016, 3:20 pm

ua see i don't go by this stats bs thats just like saying that a brown snake is more deadly than a inland tipan (when in fact it is the worlds most deadly snake) just

because the brown bites more people .

i would rather be in front of a pissed off pig than a pissed off buff or scrub bull any day of the week .statistics don't mean squat most of the time there only used to

bend the will of the people
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Jul 2016, 4:40 pm

Sure there are other animals that are bigger, faster and may do you more damage.
I didn't intend on starting a d1ck swinging competition between dangerous game in Australia.

The fact remains that more people are seriously injured hunting pigs than any other animal in Australia.

I repeat this point that I read in a hunting magazine for those who are not experienced with hunting pigs in the hope that they don't become complacent around pigs and have their femoral artery ripped open leaving them to bleed to death in minutes like many before them.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 14 Jul 2016, 3:05 pm

Mudkips.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Jul 2016, 5:28 pm

juststarting wrote:Mudkips.

I just Googled "Mudkips" ... the end of the world is upon us.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jul 2016, 5:56 pm

juststarting wrote:Mudkips.

WTF ?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey