The down side of hunting in Tasmania

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: The down side of hunting in Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 23 May 2017, 9:30 am

A lot closer to you than Oatlands.

Like I said though, I won't have random people I don't know coming to my place with guns. Happy to meet up a few times and take it from there.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by zobster » 23 May 2017, 10:22 am

Hey Gwion,
Sent you a PM.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Juszy » 23 May 2017, 6:12 pm

Hey gwion I tried to send you a message I'm not sure if it's sent though
Juszy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 24 May 2017, 9:10 am

Hey guys. Got your PM and have responded.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Coxy » 05 Jun 2017, 10:05 pm

I've letter box dropped intro letters from Conara to St Mary's and all around the cressy area trying to find a property to spotlight wallaby, roo & possum in return for access to hunt deer and never had any phone calls.

Cheers
Coxy
Coxy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jun 2017, 10:19 pm

Coxy wrote:I've letter box dropped intro letters from Conara to St Mary's and all around the cressy area trying to find a property to spotlight wallaby, roo & possum in return for access to hunt deer and never had any phone calls.

Cheers
Coxy

If I was a farmer I wouldn't let anyone on spotlighting until they had shown me that try were very responsible.
IMO spotlighting is higher risk than daytime hunting.

Try just asking to hunt. Then if you get the OK,
after a few trips ask about spotlighting.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lawyer Daggett » 30 Jan 2018, 11:40 am

Can't one get access to Forestry land in the Central Highlands?
Lawyer Daggett
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 31 Jan 2018, 8:59 am

Yes you can.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lawyer Daggett » 31 Jan 2018, 9:46 am

Is it easy to get? and what are the conditions? I have heard Deer hunting otherwise is pretty difficult in Tassie, with access being handed down from father to son, and the usual problem that also occurs on the mainland of just about needing to marry the farmers daughter to shore up access.
Lawyer Daggett
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 31 Jan 2018, 10:48 am

Not sure of the process. There are deer everywhere around here so if i want to go deer hunting I'll just go on a friend's property or have a good look around on mine. Haven't been yet but the season will be here soon so might get a permit this year.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stefan » 01 Feb 2018, 8:31 pm

Gwion wrote:Not sure of the process. There are deer everywhere around here so if i want to go deer hunting I'll just go on a friend's property or have a good look around on mine. Haven't been yet but the season will be here soon so might get a permit this year.

Hi guys, I too am having trouble securing a property or just finding state forestry that isn't balloted. I have entered into the central highlands ballot but was too late to enter into the big den ballot this year (I thought they closed at the same time). I have heard that there may be state forestry in Blessington which hold deer and is worth a look. Can anybody confirm this? I'm not asking for honey holes or anything like that, just a general suburb would be a great start.

I have been hunting small game like rabbits and wallaby since I have been legally able to (I did not grow up in a hunting family) but am struggling making the leap from small game to big game just due to lack of opportunity. I am a very safe respectable hunter who always cleans up after themselves and leaves camp sites etc exactly as they are found. If anyone is interested in meeting up to discuss hunting opportunities such as Gwion I would be happy to meet you somewhere public a few times to get to know you. Also if anyone is wanting a hunting partner for state forestry like Blessington I would be keen to come for the trip also.
Stefan
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 02 Feb 2018, 1:05 pm

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to offer access to anyone's property and in the 5 years I've been on this property i have seen exactly 4 deer and all out of season. There is one property near by that has a heap of deer on it but the owner does not allow hunting at all. Most of the deer on other properties in the area are over flow from that property.

PM me if you want to catch up. There is one area I've been meaning to check out nearby that should have deer. We can always go for a reccy (no guns) to check it out.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Joffa » 03 Feb 2018, 7:35 pm

Hey guys,

I’m getting back into shooting, both hunting and target after a break for work commitments for the last few years.
I’m in Hobart area.
At this stage I was just going to hunt wallaby and rabbit on state forest (I have my forms to do so). And maybe look at deer in the next season.
Anyone got any recommendations for southern and central hunting spots on forestry?

Thanks for any help!
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Tripod » 04 Feb 2018, 10:38 am

Joffa wrote:Hey guys,

I’m getting back into shooting, both hunting and target after a break for work commitments for the last few years.
I’m in Hobart area.
At this stage I was just going to hunt wallaby and rabbit on state forest (I have my forms to do so). And maybe look at deer in the next season.
Anyone got any recommendations for southern and central hunting spots on forestry?

Thanks for any help!

No idea on State land but I have plenty of private access if you want to go for a shot sometime. Which part of the Hobart area are you in, We might be able to meet up for a coffee when I am down that way.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Joffa » 04 Feb 2018, 12:50 pm

Tripod wrote:
Joffa wrote:Hey guys,

I’m in Hobart area.

Thanks for any help!

No idea on State land but I have plenty of private access if you want to go for a shot sometime. Which part of the Hobart area are you in, We might be able to meet up for a coffee when I am down that way.

I’m in Lenah Vallley.
Funnily enough I actually own a cafe in the city, if you wanted to get that coffee sometime it’s on me :lol:
I am waiting for my licence to come through, so I’m probably a couple of months from being able to go for a shot!
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Feb 2018, 2:16 pm

"Funnily enough I actually own a cafe in the city"

:lol: Had a laugh out loud moment when I read that.
Lucky I didn't have a mouthful of coffee or it would have come out my nose! :D
I'll have to look you up next time I'm down there. I really like good coffee. :friends:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Stefan » 05 Feb 2018, 6:45 am

Gwion wrote:Unfortunately I'm not in a position to offer access to anyone's property and in the 5 years I've been on this property i have seen exactly 4 deer and all out of season. There is one property near by that has a heap of deer on it but the owner does not allow hunting at all. Most of the deer on other properties in the area are over flow from that property.

PM me if you want to catch up. There is one area I've been meaning to check out nearby that should have deer. We can always go for a reccy (no guns) to check it out.

Hi Gwion I PM'd you it says it has sent but is sitting in my outbox which is a little strange. Let me know if you haven't got it and I will try to re-send.
Stefan
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 05 Feb 2018, 10:40 am

Stefan wrote:
Gwion wrote:Unfortunately I'm not in a position to offer access to anyone's property and in the 5 years I've been on this property i have seen exactly 4 deer and all out of season. There is one property near by that has a heap of deer on it but the owner does not allow hunting at all. Most of the deer on other properties in the area are over flow from that property.

Hi Gwion I PM'd you it says it has sent but is sitting in my outbox which is a little strange. Let me know if you haven't got it and I will try to re-send.

Got it and replied.
Messages sut in you outbox until read by recioient.
:thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 19 Feb 2018, 6:50 pm

DEER SEASON SIGHT IN

This Saturday, 24 Feb 2018, Sheffield Rifle Club is holding a sight in session for hunters who want to be sure of their zeros before heading out to bag a fallow.

Maybe you've got a new scope this season or maybe you are trying different ammo. Here's your chance to dial it all in before you head out as it's always a good idea to confirm your sights before a hunt.

We will have a session at 100yds to dial in and then throw a few down range at 300yd so you can test your drop if you plan to take those intermediate range shots.

After the sight in we will throw a few snags on the barbie, have a bit of a yack and then settle down to shoot a detail of F-Class Hunter/Varmint Division.

If you would like to give the F-Class Hunter/Varmint a go the detail is 2 rounds at 300yds comprising of 2 sighters and the 10 scoring shots. You don't have to shoot the whole detail but might find it fun to have a go.

If you are interested, email us on sheffield.rifles@gmail.com

Cheers and good luck with the hunt!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Big Buck » 28 Feb 2018, 12:40 am

It's not all bad down here. We have something unique to Tassie , hunting roo (Bennetts Wallaby) and wallaby over dogs. Just imagine a fox drive but usually firing far more shots and bagging a lot more game and of course mainland trout fishing isn't even in the same race compared to ours down here >:)
Big Buck
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Diamond Jim » 17 Feb 2020, 2:12 am

Kookaburras are feral here in WA also. Introduced from the east to eat snakes and they devastate countless native species instead.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 17 Feb 2020, 1:13 pm

Feral kookaburras , learn something new every day. Shot plenty of donkeys when I lived in wa. Caught plenty of bluebone and snapper. And a couple of tailwalking Barra. Swam with some freshwater crocs , met a very adventurous sweet young blond lady in a pub, but forgot to shoot the kookaburras
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Feb 2020, 10:01 am

Significant changes down here for fallow deer season opening March - open slather on anterless deer...no tags being issued once you have paid for licence $70. Takes as many as your freezer can hold...govt is desperate to reduce numbers.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Feb 2020, 11:54 am

Sounds like the "cage" on the boat over now is going to be full, hell, they might even make it bigger! :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Hawkeye » 26 Aug 2020, 12:59 am

Hi I am new to this site and I am looking for places where I can shoot wallabies and possums I am a ssaa member, any advice would be great thanks I am located on the nw coast Tasmania
Hawkeye
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by JoshB » 10 Feb 2023, 7:24 pm

Hey.
Just wondering if this thread is still active.
This will be my first year trying to hunt for Fallow deer, but by reading above I have hit a fairly common roadblock - I don't have access to any properties to hunt on. I have explored public lands through Sustainable Timber, and NRE. Does anyone have any further suggestions? Cheers!
JoshB
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Toolnup » 08 Apr 2023, 2:29 pm

JoshB wrote:Hey.
Just wondering if this thread is still active.
This will be my first year trying to hunt for Fallow deer, but by reading above I have hit a fairly common roadblock - I don't have access to any properties to hunt on. I have explored public lands through Sustainable Timber, and NRE. Does anyone have any further suggestions? Cheers!

Yeah I'm in the same situation.

Had a bit of a recce in a Sustainable Timber area and the only thing I saw were some knobs hooning around in their 4WD so not sure if that is worth the effort or not?

Maybe become a regular at the local range might open a few doors/gates.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by mchughcb » 08 Apr 2023, 8:40 pm

Anybody hunt around Rossarden?

I went there once and a bull terrier was blocking the main st.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 09 Apr 2023, 1:23 am

I'm actually going to do a Youtube video at some point for tips for hunters working with private property owners.

Reading this thread about Tasmania, things are not any different here with property owners these days. Myself I have had to ban various neighbors from hunting as they kept breaking the rules, which were simple to follow. I have narrowed it down to three different parties of older more mature people I can count on who do not make it an ass pain for me to have them hunt here.

My advice off the top of my head from a property owners perspective is this:

1. Identify a private property you want to hunt on.
2. Contact the property owner, identify yourself and your interest in hunting, find out what their needs are and what you can do to help them.
3. Emphasize you will work with the property owner on hunting on where you can hunt on the property safely, communicating and coordinating with the property owner as to when you can hunt, etc. I ask hunters for instance to give me 24 hours notice and if I give them the ok, text me when they arrive on the property and when they leave. I also want to know what part of the property they want to hunt on.
4. Offer something up in return for hunting on the property, part of the meat, property upkeep, etc.

My experience with a lot of hunters is they want to enjoy the property at will, hunt all they want and seemingly forget the property owner owns the place for their own enjoyment and has to pay upkeep, taxes, repairs, etc. People want all the benefits with none of the costs or work involved.

Other issues I have run into is hunters giving me guff when I deny them access at times due to things I want or need to do on the property, safety issues, leaving their trash behind, etc.

So in the end, there are property owners out there who will let people hunt but you need to find an upside for them to have you on their property enjoying all the benefit of it they have paid for.

You might have to knock on some doors for a while, but building up a relationship with a property owner for mutual benefit can have long lasting positive benefits for all.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey