The down side of hunting in Tasmania

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

The down side of hunting in Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 18 Jul 2016, 3:15 pm

(Posted from my old man)

Not to complain about anything else here, but the Hunting side of things is getting more frustrating. After a long break (30years+) from hunting, my youngest son wanted to try his hand at Deer, of which only Fallow are found here. Apart from that, wallabies and rabbits are the mainstay. I worked with several fellow who assured me "no problems, we'll' set you up, which came to nothing, and I rang countless properties and contacted people who I was given the heads up on. Seems that unless you were born in the area no-one wants to know you, some want to charge you a premium just to walk onto the place, plus the miserable restrictions they place on everything from "Game Management "perspective. The cost of getting back into it has been phenomenal, just for the maximum of bagging 3 deer a year.

Sure, blame poachers and irresponsible hunters, as well as the state government, but It just appears to be a closed book in this state when it come to Deer hunting. I've already spent enough money, and wasted enough time.They have a ballot system here for hunting as well, so I'll try that, but my interest is pretty damp. I only want to do it for my sons sake, as I've shot my share of game, and want to pass on my skills while I have the opportunity. :(
Last edited by Heckler303 on 18 Jul 2016, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Re: The down side of hunting in Tasmania

Post by Tripod » 18 Jul 2016, 3:22 pm

I have had the opposite experience, Since moving to Tas 6 years ago I haven't been knocked back on a property I have asked about yet and have even had property owners call in and phone to see if I am coming out shooting. But I don't live in a city.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 18 Jul 2016, 3:47 pm

Tripod wrote:I have had the opposite experience, Since moving to Tas 6 years ago I haven't been knocked back on a property I have asked about yet and have even had property owners call in and phone to see if I am coming out shooting. But I don't live in a city.

Are you referring to deer?

Plenty of people happy to have help controlling wallaby numbers.

Hunting in Tas is very limited. Ridiculously so. You aren't supposed to hunt the limited goats because you should just report them for tracking of the 'Judice Goat' program.

We have a long wait until we can go out after our allotted number of fallow again. You might need to explore the forestry land option for next season.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tripod » 18 Jul 2016, 3:56 pm

Getting out there and helping with the wallabies and possums is how you make the farmers happy. One of the farmers gripes is everyone just wants to come out to shoot deer. News flash the farmers can get destruction permits and go out and shoot all the deer with a spotlight, They don't need to put up with shooters. So help the farmers out with their problems and they will return the favour.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 18 Jul 2016, 4:06 pm

Newsflash... I shoot wallaby and possum on 5 properties, not including my own. There are deer everywhere around here but I still haven't been out as yet. Poachers and irresponsible types are also an issue in Tas, so Heckler has kind of got a point; it is a bit of a closed book unless you have an intro.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by tom604 » 18 Jul 2016, 4:31 pm

Hunting in Tas is very limited. Ridiculously so. You aren't supposed to hunt the limited goats because you should just report them for tracking of the 'Judice Goat' program.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WHAT???????? so you just leave the goats ,,so that they can track them with a judas goat?? and then they can go out and shoot them?

thank goodness the goats in Tassie don't breed :sarcasm: we have judas goats here but there are plenty of other goats in the area,,a judas goat is only to give you an idea of the areas that the goats frequent :unknown: still, on the bright side in a few years you will have heaps of goats to shoot :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 18 Jul 2016, 7:04 pm

Yeah Tom. Maybe I misunderstand the literature but that seems to the gist of it. All that said there are a heap more fallow than goats.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by datman » 29 Nov 2016, 8:07 pm

Moved to Tas just over a year ago. I'm gearing up with my first center fire to hunt fallow. People say there are enough about but people are pretty tight lipped about sharing info or invites to hunting grounds. I'm only new to the Tas scene though. At least you are allowed to shoot in state forests here, back in WA its a no no.
I have more than enough wallaby and a few rabbits on my property to keep my eye in until a fallow opportunity comes along.
datman
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 02 Dec 2016, 12:33 pm

datman wrote:Moved to Tas just over a year ago. I'm gearing up with my first center fire to hunt fallow. People say there are enough about but people are pretty tight lipped about sharing info or invites to hunting grounds. I'm only new to the Tas scene though. At least you are allowed to shoot in state forests here, back in WA its a no no.
I have more than enough wallaby and a few rabbits on my property to keep my eye in until a fallow opportunity comes along.

Nice to have another fellow LAFO down here. What part of tassie are you in right now?
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bigpete » 03 Dec 2016, 9:21 pm

This is really odd,I just seen a post on Facebook where a young bloke had shot his first wallaby,and of all things a kookaburra ! Then someone posted a national parks thing that said that both the above are unprotected in Tasmania and able to be shot ? But deer and goats nearly seem to be protected ? Wtf !?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 04 Dec 2016, 2:31 pm

Kookaburras are feral here and two species of wallaby are listed game and can be shot by game licence holders. I don't think this includes forester kangaroos, which are a subspecies of the eastern grey and the only true roo in Tas. They are restricted to east coast, as well.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Dec 2016, 3:41 pm

Kookaburras are feral in Tasmania! :crazy: To say the least I'm confused. Some states are worried about their decline in numbers.

Whats the story Gwion?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 04 Dec 2016, 5:12 pm

They are imports. Not naturally occurring in Tas but traditionally cosmopolitan from Victoria. In Vic and other states the kookaburras feed mostly on reptiles. As the season for reptiles is so short in Tas, they have adapted by targeting the nests of indigenous bird species, putting them under significant predation pressure. This is why the kookaburra is list on the feral pest list; it is threatening uniquely Tasmanian bird species.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 04 Dec 2016, 5:17 pm

Another downside to hunting in Tassie... A clean head shot kill requires a double barrel.

On a side note, my tablet just tried to auto-correct Tassie to Fascism...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 04 Dec 2016, 5:19 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Another downside to hunting in Tassie... A clean head shot kill requires a double barrel.

On a side note, my tablet just tried to auto-correct Tassie to Fascism...

:lol: I can see that... :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 05 Dec 2016, 8:25 am

Gwion wrote:They are imports. Not naturally occurring in Tas but traditionally cosmopolitan from Victoria. In Vic and other states the kookaburras feed mostly on reptiles. As the season for reptiles is so short in Tas, they have adapted by targeting the nests of indigenous bird species, putting them under significant predation pressure. This is why the kookaburra is list on the feral pest list; it is threatening uniquely Tasmanian bird species.

That's interesting to learn. In Victoria it is the Currawongs that kill the young Kookaburra.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2016, 8:51 am

Sounds like a backwards inbred state to me - once upon a time I wanted to live there, thank christ I got that out of my system.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Khan » 05 Dec 2016, 2:19 pm

Gwion wrote:You aren't supposed to hunt the limited goats because you should just report them for tracking of the 'Judice Goat' program.

That sounds useful :sarcasm:
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by datman » 09 Dec 2016, 10:01 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
datman wrote:Moved to Tas just over a year ago. I'm gearing up with my first center fire to hunt fallow. People say there are enough about but people are pretty tight lipped about sharing info or invites to hunting grounds. I'm only new to the Tas scene though. At least you are allowed to shoot in state forests here, back in WA its a no no.

Nice to have another fellow LAFO down here. What part of tassie are you in right now?

Moved to the Lilydale area about a year ago.
datman
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 10 Dec 2016, 6:00 am

Nice area down there. We looked at a little place in Lillydale when we first moved from Vic; fishing is better over this way, though! ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Juszy » 20 May 2017, 10:22 am

I'm from Qld, have lived here for about 6 months (Devonport area) and have been wanting to do some vermin control. Mainly rabbits but wallabies and possums aswell. Is there anyone on here who could help me out.
Juszy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Tripod » 21 May 2017, 7:30 am

Juszy wrote:I'm from Qld, have lived here for about 6 months (Devonport area) and have been wanting to do some vermin control. Mainly rabbits but wallabies and possums aswell. Is there anyone on here who could help me out.

If you are willing to travel you are welcome to come down here for a shot, Oatlands area. I have a mate who comes down from Penguin when he isn't working.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Juszy » 21 May 2017, 3:35 pm

Hey tripod, thanks for the offer I would defiantly be keen to come down for a shoot how could I arrange that with ya mate?
Juszy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Tripod » 21 May 2017, 6:39 pm

Juszy wrote:Hey tripod, thanks for the offer I would defiantly be keen to come down for a shoot how could I arrange that with ya mate?

Sending you a pm with my details.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 22 May 2017, 11:18 am

Tripod wrote:
Juszy wrote:I'm from Qld, have lived here for about 6 months (Devonport area) and have been wanting to do some vermin control. Mainly rabbits but wallabies and possums aswell. Is there anyone on here who could help me out.

If you are willing to travel you are welcome to come down here for a shot, Oatlands area. I have a mate who comes down from Penguin when he isn't working.

Hi Tripod, is the invitation for anyone? I am struggling to find a property as well.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by p3seven » 22 May 2017, 12:07 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Sounds like a backwards inbred state to me - once upon a time I wanted to live there, thank christ I got that out of my system.

Actually Tassies show as less inbred than the rest of Australia. A useless fact i readvsomewhere in a Uni lbook once upon a time.

It is a Judas goat (as in the bible)

Having a pedantic day today is l.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tripod » 22 May 2017, 1:23 pm

zobster wrote:
Tripod wrote:

Hi Tripod, is the invitation for anyone? I am struggling to find a property as well.

Sure why not.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 22 May 2017, 2:11 pm

p3seven wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Sounds like a backwards inbred state to me - once upon a time I wanted to live there, thank christ I got that out of my system.

Actually Tassies show as less inbred than the rest of Australia. A useless fact i readvsomewhere in a Uni lbook once upon a time.

It is a Judas goat (as in the bible)

Having a pedantic day today is l.

I think that book was written in a Tassy "University" and meant for Tasmanian "education" only. :lol: :wtf: :problem:
I also read a report about a study returning a finding that there is no systemic corruption in Tassy..... :wtf: :crazy: :lol:

PS: I realise it is "Judas", as in the bible, but as i have not been to church in decades and do not brush up on my bible studies with any sort of regularity, i made a spelling error. :geek: :ugeek: :geek:

:drinks: :friends: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 22 May 2017, 2:49 pm

zobster wrote:
Tripod wrote:

You could have been helping me cull at my place but you never came back to the range so i could "get to know you" after i gave you that stock for your Howa. Sort'a old fashioned that i want to know people a bit before i get them on the property with firearms involved.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Juszy » 23 May 2017, 6:53 am

Hey gwion where are u located
Juszy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Next