The down side of hunting in Tasmania

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: The down side of hunting in Tasmania

Post by datman » 09 Dec 2016, 10:01 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
datman wrote:Moved to Tas just over a year ago. I'm gearing up with my first center fire to hunt fallow. People say there are enough about but people are pretty tight lipped about sharing info or invites to hunting grounds. I'm only new to the Tas scene though. At least you are allowed to shoot in state forests here, back in WA its a no no.
I have more than enough wallaby and a few rabbits on my property to keep my eye in until a fallow opportunity comes along.

Nice to have another fellow LAFO down here. What part of tassie are you in right now?

Moved to the Lilydale area about a year ago.
datman
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 10 Dec 2016, 6:00 am

Nice area down there. We looked at a little place in Lillydale when we first moved from Vic; fishing is better over this way, though! ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Juszy » 20 May 2017, 10:22 am

I'm from Qld, have lived here for about 6 months (Devonport area) and have been wanting to do some vermin control. Mainly rabbits but wallabies and possums aswell. Is there anyone on here who could help me out.
Juszy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Tripod » 21 May 2017, 7:30 am

Juszy wrote:I'm from Qld, have lived here for about 6 months (Devonport area) and have been wanting to do some vermin control. Mainly rabbits but wallabies and possums aswell. Is there anyone on here who could help me out.

If you are willing to travel you are welcome to come down here for a shot, Oatlands area. I have a mate who comes down from Penguin when he isn't working.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Juszy » 21 May 2017, 3:35 pm

Hey tripod, thanks for the offer I would defiantly be keen to come down for a shoot how could I arrange that with ya mate?
Juszy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Tripod » 21 May 2017, 6:39 pm

Juszy wrote:Hey tripod, thanks for the offer I would defiantly be keen to come down for a shoot how could I arrange that with ya mate?

Sending you a pm with my details.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 22 May 2017, 11:18 am

Tripod wrote:
Juszy wrote:I'm from Qld, have lived here for about 6 months (Devonport area) and have been wanting to do some vermin control. Mainly rabbits but wallabies and possums aswell. Is there anyone on here who could help me out.

If you are willing to travel you are welcome to come down here for a shot, Oatlands area. I have a mate who comes down from Penguin when he isn't working.

Hi Tripod, is the invitation for anyone? I am struggling to find a property as well.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by p3seven » 22 May 2017, 12:07 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Sounds like a backwards inbred state to me - once upon a time I wanted to live there, thank christ I got that out of my system.

Actually Tassies show as less inbred than the rest of Australia. A useless fact i readvsomewhere in a Uni lbook once upon a time.

It is a Judas goat (as in the bible)

Having a pedantic day today is l.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tripod » 22 May 2017, 1:23 pm

zobster wrote:
Tripod wrote:

Hi Tripod, is the invitation for anyone? I am struggling to find a property as well.

Sure why not.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 22 May 2017, 2:11 pm

p3seven wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Sounds like a backwards inbred state to me - once upon a time I wanted to live there, thank christ I got that out of my system.

Actually Tassies show as less inbred than the rest of Australia. A useless fact i readvsomewhere in a Uni lbook once upon a time.

It is a Judas goat (as in the bible)

Having a pedantic day today is l.

I think that book was written in a Tassy "University" and meant for Tasmanian "education" only. :lol: :wtf: :problem:
I also read a report about a study returning a finding that there is no systemic corruption in Tassy..... :wtf: :crazy: :lol:

PS: I realise it is "Judas", as in the bible, but as i have not been to church in decades and do not brush up on my bible studies with any sort of regularity, i made a spelling error. :geek: :ugeek: :geek:

:drinks: :friends: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 22 May 2017, 2:49 pm

zobster wrote:
Tripod wrote:

You could have been helping me cull at my place but you never came back to the range so i could "get to know you" after i gave you that stock for your Howa. Sort'a old fashioned that i want to know people a bit before i get them on the property with firearms involved.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Juszy » 23 May 2017, 6:53 am

Hey gwion where are u located
Juszy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 23 May 2017, 9:30 am

A lot closer to you than Oatlands.

Like I said though, I won't have random people I don't know coming to my place with guns. Happy to meet up a few times and take it from there.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by zobster » 23 May 2017, 10:22 am

Hey Gwion,
Sent you a PM.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Juszy » 23 May 2017, 6:12 pm

Hey gwion I tried to send you a message I'm not sure if it's sent though
Juszy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 24 May 2017, 9:10 am

Hey guys. Got your PM and have responded.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Coxy » 05 Jun 2017, 10:05 pm

I've letter box dropped intro letters from Conara to St Mary's and all around the cressy area trying to find a property to spotlight wallaby, roo & possum in return for access to hunt deer and never had any phone calls.

Cheers
Coxy
Coxy
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jun 2017, 10:19 pm

Coxy wrote:I've letter box dropped intro letters from Conara to St Mary's and all around the cressy area trying to find a property to spotlight wallaby, roo & possum in return for access to hunt deer and never had any phone calls.

Cheers
Coxy

If I was a farmer I wouldn't let anyone on spotlighting until they had shown me that try were very responsible.
IMO spotlighting is higher risk than daytime hunting.

Try just asking to hunt. Then if you get the OK,
after a few trips ask about spotlighting.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lawyer Daggett » 30 Jan 2018, 11:40 am

Can't one get access to Forestry land in the Central Highlands?
Lawyer Daggett
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 31 Jan 2018, 8:59 am

Yes you can.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lawyer Daggett » 31 Jan 2018, 9:46 am

Is it easy to get? and what are the conditions? I have heard Deer hunting otherwise is pretty difficult in Tassie, with access being handed down from father to son, and the usual problem that also occurs on the mainland of just about needing to marry the farmers daughter to shore up access.
Lawyer Daggett
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 31 Jan 2018, 10:48 am

Not sure of the process. There are deer everywhere around here so if i want to go deer hunting I'll just go on a friend's property or have a good look around on mine. Haven't been yet but the season will be here soon so might get a permit this year.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stefan » 01 Feb 2018, 8:31 pm

Gwion wrote:Not sure of the process. There are deer everywhere around here so if i want to go deer hunting I'll just go on a friend's property or have a good look around on mine. Haven't been yet but the season will be here soon so might get a permit this year.

Hi guys, I too am having trouble securing a property or just finding state forestry that isn't balloted. I have entered into the central highlands ballot but was too late to enter into the big den ballot this year (I thought they closed at the same time). I have heard that there may be state forestry in Blessington which hold deer and is worth a look. Can anybody confirm this? I'm not asking for honey holes or anything like that, just a general suburb would be a great start.

I have been hunting small game like rabbits and wallaby since I have been legally able to (I did not grow up in a hunting family) but am struggling making the leap from small game to big game just due to lack of opportunity. I am a very safe respectable hunter who always cleans up after themselves and leaves camp sites etc exactly as they are found. If anyone is interested in meeting up to discuss hunting opportunities such as Gwion I would be happy to meet you somewhere public a few times to get to know you. Also if anyone is wanting a hunting partner for state forestry like Blessington I would be keen to come for the trip also.
Stefan
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 02 Feb 2018, 1:05 pm

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to offer access to anyone's property and in the 5 years I've been on this property i have seen exactly 4 deer and all out of season. There is one property near by that has a heap of deer on it but the owner does not allow hunting at all. Most of the deer on other properties in the area are over flow from that property.

PM me if you want to catch up. There is one area I've been meaning to check out nearby that should have deer. We can always go for a reccy (no guns) to check it out.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Joffa » 03 Feb 2018, 7:35 pm

Hey guys,

I’m getting back into shooting, both hunting and target after a break for work commitments for the last few years.
I’m in Hobart area.
At this stage I was just going to hunt wallaby and rabbit on state forest (I have my forms to do so). And maybe look at deer in the next season.
Anyone got any recommendations for southern and central hunting spots on forestry?

Thanks for any help!
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Tripod » 04 Feb 2018, 10:38 am

Joffa wrote:Hey guys,

I’m getting back into shooting, both hunting and target after a break for work commitments for the last few years.
I’m in Hobart area.
At this stage I was just going to hunt wallaby and rabbit on state forest (I have my forms to do so). And maybe look at deer in the next season.
Anyone got any recommendations for southern and central hunting spots on forestry?

Thanks for any help!

No idea on State land but I have plenty of private access if you want to go for a shot sometime. Which part of the Hobart area are you in, We might be able to meet up for a coffee when I am down that way.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Joffa » 04 Feb 2018, 12:50 pm

Tripod wrote:
Joffa wrote:Hey guys,

I’m in Hobart area.

Thanks for any help!

No idea on State land but I have plenty of private access if you want to go for a shot sometime. Which part of the Hobart area are you in, We might be able to meet up for a coffee when I am down that way.

I’m in Lenah Vallley.
Funnily enough I actually own a cafe in the city, if you wanted to get that coffee sometime it’s on me :lol:
I am waiting for my licence to come through, so I’m probably a couple of months from being able to go for a shot!
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Feb 2018, 2:16 pm

"Funnily enough I actually own a cafe in the city"

:lol: Had a laugh out loud moment when I read that.
Lucky I didn't have a mouthful of coffee or it would have come out my nose! :D
I'll have to look you up next time I'm down there. I really like good coffee. :friends:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Stefan » 05 Feb 2018, 6:45 am

Gwion wrote:Unfortunately I'm not in a position to offer access to anyone's property and in the 5 years I've been on this property i have seen exactly 4 deer and all out of season. There is one property near by that has a heap of deer on it but the owner does not allow hunting at all. Most of the deer on other properties in the area are over flow from that property.

PM me if you want to catch up. There is one area I've been meaning to check out nearby that should have deer. We can always go for a reccy (no guns) to check it out.

Hi Gwion I PM'd you it says it has sent but is sitting in my outbox which is a little strange. Let me know if you haven't got it and I will try to re-send.
Stefan
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 05 Feb 2018, 10:40 am

Stefan wrote:
Gwion wrote:Unfortunately I'm not in a position to offer access to anyone's property and in the 5 years I've been on this property i have seen exactly 4 deer and all out of season. There is one property near by that has a heap of deer on it but the owner does not allow hunting at all. Most of the deer on other properties in the area are over flow from that property.

Hi Gwion I PM'd you it says it has sent but is sitting in my outbox which is a little strange. Let me know if you haven't got it and I will try to re-send.

Got it and replied.
Messages sut in you outbox until read by recioient.
:thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey