R Licence hunting area questions.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

R Licence hunting area questions.

Post by ItsMe » 26 Jul 2016, 6:29 pm

Folks,

I just got my R Licence and I'm looking through the areas that can be booked for hunts.

What's the meaning behind the numbers of slots available for each area, is it based on size of the area or something else? Some areas have 2 slots, others have over 50.

I was considering going up to Putty State Forest for a look around as it's only an hour from home, anyone been up there?

Presumably there are better areas than others.

Cheers

Steve
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: R Licence hunting area questions.

Post by Bosbefok » 27 Jul 2016, 11:22 am

Just the number of hunting slots available. Not sure if it has any relation to the size of the forest. Haven't been to Putty SF.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 27 Jul 2016, 12:52 pm

Yeah it to do with how big the forest is, its kind of silly because in the big forests everyone ends on top if each other anyway. They work it out to one hunter per so many hundreds acres/hectares, i can't remember the exact number.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by ItsMe » 27 Jul 2016, 4:23 pm

Cheers for the responses so far fellas.

I might drive up there one day next week or the week after. Thinking I'll just do a little recon walk, in my blaze gear, looking for signs of animals and maybe do some howling to see if any mutts respond. ;)

If it looks like it's worth going back I'll speak to a mate that's keen and tee something up formally.

Cheers

Steve
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Willem van Heerden » 05 Sep 2016, 8:13 pm

Hi Steve, Just wondering if you managed to go out to putty SF a few months back?
Willem van Heerden
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by anacrolix » 13 Dec 2016, 12:03 am

I'm thinking of having a look. I'm worried it will be impenetrable bush like Comleroy and Coricudgy.
anacrolix
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ItsMe » 13 Dec 2016, 5:53 am

Willem van Heerden wrote:Hi Steve, Just wondering if you managed to go out to putty SF a few months back?

Apologies for the late response.

No I didn't make it out there, in fact I haven't been to any SFs for a hunt as yet. :cry:
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 13 Dec 2016, 6:43 am

If anyone's looking for an extra person for SF hunts around the Sydney area I'm keen to go. Had my R license for a while, Own a 4WD and all the usual gear for living rough in the bush.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bosbefok » 13 Dec 2016, 10:49 am

Not sure how many would be interested but we could do a forum meet for those with R licences. Way too hot now and too many flies around but sometime in winter next year might be the go. I'm in Sydney too. Was out west at a SF about 3 weeks ago and the heat/flies are unbearable. It was however a productive trip!
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Dec 2016, 3:13 pm

Pity I'm on the other side of the country.

But if we were to do a forum meet in a SF, surely it should be in Wombat :sarcasm:
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Sam45 » 13 Dec 2016, 3:48 pm

Pity me too doing my R licence in January. Located on the Gold Coast.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 13 Dec 2016, 4:10 pm

Sam45 wrote:Pity me too doing my R licence in January. Located on the Gold Coast.

Mate, Mongrel is somewhere in the Banana Republic and not adverse to jumping the border to camp out on my little block just out of Narrabri. Possibly we can stir him up into getting his 'R' license and we can book Pilliga East State forest and a few others surrounding Narrabri for a week of hunting when the weather cools down. Massive area around there and with a few people it'll be safer and cheaper then me wandering around out there on my own. Camp out at my place then explore the forests at will over several days :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by albat » 13 Dec 2016, 5:14 pm

That sounds awesome never done the piliga forests before would love to get out there and would be much safer in with a swag of blokes never know when ya going to bump in to a yowie or the piliga princess !!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 13 Dec 2016, 5:31 pm

albat wrote:That sounds awesome never done the piliga forests before would love to get out there and would be much safer in with a swag of blokes never know when ya going to bump in to a yowie or the piliga princess !!

I'll keep this on the back burner till the new year and see what we can organise. Pilliga is huge, should be a few piggies in there that need despatching or there's 400 acres of mine to plink away on.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by albat » 13 Dec 2016, 6:58 pm

Sounds like a plan its about 7 hours from brisbane so doable on a long weekend i guess i was in the process of working a trip out to there last week with a mate so new year sounds alright
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 13 Dec 2016, 8:37 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Sam45 wrote:Pity me too doing my R licence in January. Located on the Gold Coast.

Mate, Mongrel is somewhere in the Banana Republic and not adverse to jumping the border to camp out on my little block just out of Narrabri. Possibly we can stir him up into getting his 'R' license and we can book Pilliga East State forest and a few others surrounding Narrabri for a week of hunting when the weather cools down. Massive area around there and with a few people it'll be safer and cheaper then me wandering around out there on my own. Camp out at my place then explore the forests at will over several days :)

Mate, that would be awesome! No drama's from me at all, have car, willing to hunt. I can book more spots if needed that's for sure. ( R License) I asked a guy I work with for him and I to do it... 15 minutes later 5 of us are going to do it :thumbsup: Nothing like a quick border hop that's for sure. Count me in for sure shagger :thumbsup:

Just had a look at Google maps, ******, that state forest is massive :crazy:
Last edited by Sam45 on 13 Dec 2016, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 13 Dec 2016, 8:39 pm

albat wrote:That sounds awesome never done the piliga forests before would love to get out there and would be much safer in with a swag of blokes never know when ya going to bump in to a yowie or the piliga princess !!

Mate I have done Roo Culls on my own for a week at a time out in Central QLD Blackall, Barcaldine lol. Staying in old shearer's quarters :thumbsup: Had the time of my life. Of course the Farmer and his family are about. Don't really bother them. More the merrier though with a good base camp :drinks:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 15 Dec 2016, 6:18 am

brett1868 wrote:

That sounds like a plan for sure, i will have to speak to the mrs first(gonna cop s**t for that) but keeping her happy keeps me going out :)
Also R licence, will do some research now as to what is needed.
Thanks for the mention

Jamie
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 15 Dec 2016, 6:30 am

Ok after having a quick google search, my gun club im member of is already on the AHO list so i am halfway there i guess.
But after looking for a place to do my Restricted licence accreditation course i cant find anywhere listed.
Can i do it in QLD or only in NSW?
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 15 Dec 2016, 7:23 pm

Mongrel wrote:Ok after having a quick google search, my gun club im member of is already on the AHO list so i am halfway there i guess.
But after looking for a place to do my Restricted licence accreditation course i cant find anywhere listed.

Can be done at Ashmore for $20 if you are a SSAA member :thumbsup: $40 if not.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 15 Dec 2016, 10:45 pm

Sam45 wrote:
Mongrel wrote:Ok after having a quick google search, my gun club im member of is already on the AHO list so i am halfway there i guess.

Can be done at Ashmore for $20 if you are a SSAA member :thumbsup: $40 if not.

Cheers Sam, yeah im a ssaa member already... SSAA Yandina which is already on the aho list :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juandea » 03 Feb 2017, 7:42 pm

Hey, people.
I'm from Sydney area as well. Been to Comleroy and abouts doing some scout. The SF is thick and steep and very hard to move without making too much noise.
I use bow only, so if anyone is intersted in coming with me, just me know. The missus is too noisy!
juandea
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dingobiscuit » 21 Aug 2018, 11:00 pm

Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread but I just joined the forum and interested to see how many of the R-license holders have been exploring the forests?
I just got back from an overnighter in one of the blue mountain forests. Damn fresh in winter but still worth it. I few signs around but did not see anything other than wallabies and roos. Saw a few foxes on another trip a fortnight earlier in another forest.

Also up for joining/having a few tag-alongs with R-license's to liven up the campsite banter. Shift work is not the best with other shooting buds. Sydney based.
Dingobiscuit
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 22 Aug 2018, 3:26 pm

Dingobiscuit wrote:Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread but I just joined the forum and interested to see how many of the R-license holders have been exploring the forests?
I just got back from an overnighter in one of the blue mountain forests. Damn fresh in winter but still worth it. I few signs around but did not see anything other than wallabies and roos. Saw a few foxes on another trip a fortnight earlier in another forest.

Also up for joining/having a few tag-alongs with R-license's to liven up the campsite banter. Shift work is not the best with other shooting buds. Sydney based.

I went and checked out Hampton and parts of Vulcan a not too long ago, Hampton has a lot of clay/mud tracks and the tracks can get a bit slippery and boggy with not much rain especially the steeper tracks as they flow the creeks in the gully's and not the ridgeline, there was some pig sign about in Hampton but didn't come across much else

It snowed the day I checked them out and they had had light rain the day and night previous and there was still drizzle with the snow and a howling cold wind which didn't entice me to do many long treks

the part I checked out in Vulcan to start with was dicey in the damp conditions with the clay tracks turning in to red soap, you would slide from side to side with no control down the slopes and slip all over the place trying to get up them.... I abandoned that area for one which had gravel tracks and found a more sheltered area out of the icy wind and rain and walked some kms came across plenty of pig sign but again not much else

I head out to Roseberg getting firewood a bit but it cops and absolute flogging with the pig doggers of a night time, and rings with chainsaws and wankers on bikes during the day there must be at least 200 sheep in there all carrying atleast 3-4 yrs worth of wool that have escaped from the property next door if you can shear lol
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dingobiscuit » 25 Aug 2018, 10:59 pm

Jon79 wrote:
Dingobiscuit wrote:Hey guys,

I went and checked out Hampton and parts of Vulcan a not too long ago, Hampton has a lot of clay/mud tracks and the tracks can get a bit slippery and boggy with not much rain especially the steeper tracks as they flow the creeks in the gully's and not the ridgeline, there was some pig sign about in Hampton but didn't come across much else

It snowed the day I checked them out and they had had light rain the day and night previous and there was still drizzle with the snow and a howling cold wind which didn't entice me to do many long treks

the part I checked out in Vulcan to start with was dicey in the damp conditions with the clay tracks turning in to red soap, you would slide from side to side with no control down the slopes and slip all over the place trying to get up them.... I abandoned that area for one which had gravel tracks and found a more sheltered area out of the icy wind and rain and walked some kms came across plenty of pig sign but again not much else

I head out to Roseberg getting firewood a bit but it cops and absolute flogging with the pig doggers of a night time, and rings with chainsaws and wankers on bikes during the day there must be at least 200 sheep in there all carrying atleast 3-4 yrs worth of wool that have escaped from the property next door if you can shear lol

Hampton and Vulcan are the two forests I have checked out. Both times had snow too (which was fun till you start getting damp).
Definitely plan on heading back as the weather stabilizes. I think you need a few days or at least familiarity with the forest and areas of interest to get success, otherwise it's pot luck.
Dingobiscuit
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey