Comprehensive Review of Many .22LR Ammos

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Comprehensive Review of Many .22LR Ammos

Post by Tomek » 28 Jul 2016, 11:21 pm

Just wanted to share this terrific review of many ammo varieties. They shot 5*5 groups of each ammo at 50,75 and 100 yards using a "highly-accurate Swiss-made Bleiker rifle, with a 2-stage trigger". Looks cool and expensive...

According to this, the Eley Match ammo is the best, and pretty good value. It's interesting how some more expensive ammo of teh same type like the Eley tenex is actually not as good as 2nd tier varieties.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

You can click though to the actual results to see the shot groupings themselves!

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8711043/m/9871088921

I added up the groupings for each ammo and ranked the top 15 here for you. The lower the better.

Eley Match 0.994
Lapua Midas M 1.059
Eley Tenex Ultimate EPS 1.068
Lapua Center X 1.119
Lapua Polar Biathlon 1.161
Lapua Midas Plus 1.209
Eley Match EPS 1.273
Lapua Master M 1.375
Lapua Midas L 1.387
Eley Tenex Semi Auto 1.39
Lapua Standard Plus 1.445
Lapua Master L 1.454
Eley Tenex 1.517
Eley Club 1.647
Eley Sport 1.725
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Comprehensive Review of Many .22LR Ammos

Post by Gwion » 29 Jul 2016, 6:40 am

That's great.... but the vagaries of rifles (especially 22lr) are such that it means little unless you are planning to buy the actual rifle the test was shot with. If the test were repeated with various rifles, I'd be will to bet that each rifle would return a different result.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jul 2016, 6:49 am

I agree with G on this, only way to really know what a good ammo is for your particular outfit is to buy some diff brands/types and see what works best in it, for hunting purposes tiny little groups aren't as important to me as projectile performance down the pointy end, by that I mean I'm not concerned so much of finding ammo that all goes in one hole. I just need them to shoot around the 1" or better at 50m with good consistency and killing rabbits etc reliably.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 29 Jul 2016, 7:20 am

I've found CCI segmented kills very well, even if it does give slightly larger groups in my rifle than others, like Win Power Point.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jul 2016, 9:43 am

Gwion wrote:I've found CCI segmented kills very well, even if it does give slightly larger groups in my rifle than others, like Win Power Point.

Yeah I think the Segmented shot well in the Savages too and kill well. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Tomek » 30 Jul 2016, 6:28 pm

Just out of curiosity, these measurements are in inches? If so, seems like even a 2 inch spread over 100m would be good enough to hit a rabbit in the head.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey