Hunting with a drone

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Hunting with a drone

Post by Mitch » 02 Oct 2016, 6:39 pm

Depends on use I suppose.

For instance I don't go pig hunting, I go pig shooting. It is purely pest eradication on family farm. I don't care for a trek, or anything else, it is shoot as many of the bastards before they get away as you can.

In this use I think it would be a huge benefit, and one I intend to trial this coming sorghum season
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Oct 2016, 6:53 pm

Mitch wrote:Depends on use I suppose.

For instance I don't go pig hunting, I go pig shooting. It is purely pest eradication on family farm. I don't care for a trek, or anything else, it is shoot as many of the bastards before they get away as you can.

In this use I think it would be a huge benefit, and one I intend to trial this coming sorghum season

Absolutely fine for vermin, that's not hunting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jjb1608 » 03 Oct 2016, 11:07 am

I don't see it being any different from using a trail cam.
12G
jjb1608
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2016, 5:06 pm

jjb1608 wrote:I don't see it being any different from using a trail cam.

Trailcams usually aren't real time, though I'm sure there are some that can be viewed remotely these days. Trail cameras just tell you what animals are in the area, they don't tell you exactly where the animal is so you can simply wander over and shoot it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Oct 2016, 11:43 am

One of the downsides to this type of thing would be where you use it, ie ok on private property where you can leave it and then go after what you've found but I can't say I'd be landing a Drone on public land leaving it and heading off after whatever it is you've spotted using it. My mate has a few and they can be handy for diff sorts of things and I suppose they could be used to find deer and pigs etc in open lands but not sure I would race out and buy one for hunting purposes to be honest, I think its one of those "nice in Theory" but not in practice type things.

From memory my mate uses something like google earth to plot his routes that is drone takes, puts in way points etc and it automatically flies the course he's plotted for it, it's a clever bit of kit no doubt about it and we have used it on paddocks for a bit of fun and to check out some of the fire damage that was caused from fires that went through the property before we'd been there so we could send the vid to the owner but we never bothered with it for hunting type purposes as we were only spotlighting and they ain't no help in that situation without some fancy gear strapped to em.

Me I think I'd rather just go for a wander and see what I can see as walking around in the bush is part of the joy of getting out there with a rifle.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey