New to NSW SF shooting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

New to NSW SF shooting

Post by 308cool » 15 Aug 2016, 12:31 pm

Hi,
I've been hunting quite a bit on our own private land, however we have now sold it so I'm now looking at attempting to shoot ferals in NSW state forests. At the moment I'm looking at millions of HA of state forests with no idea where to start. Not looking for any gps marks or anything but would anyone be able to give me a hand in a starting location or a couple of state forests that have had reasonable amounts of ferals in them over the past few months to years? Mainly looking at pigs and goats.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
- Browing X-Bolt .25-06 / Meopta Meopro 4-12x50
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: New to NSW SF shooting

Post by ItsMe » 15 Aug 2016, 9:02 pm

308cool wrote:Hi,
I've been hunting quite a bit on our own private land, however we have now sold it so I'm now looking at attempting to shoot ferals in NSW state forests. At the moment I'm looking at millions of HA of state forests with no idea where to start. Not looking for any gps marks or anything but would anyone be able to give me a hand in a starting location or a couple of state forests that have had reasonable amounts of ferals in them over the past few months to years? Mainly looking at pigs and goats.
Cheers.

You got your R licence?
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 15 Aug 2016, 10:03 pm

bentaz wrote:Come to Victoria

:lol: :lol: ,,you know its not that bad a place,,if they could just get rid of all those Victorians :twisted:

:welcome: 308 :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by 308cool » 15 Aug 2016, 10:34 pm

ItsMe wrote:
308cool wrote:Hi,
Cheers.

You got your R licence?

Sorry should of added that, yes I do.

Also I'm located in Sydney, so Victoria is a bit out of my range (hopefully I'll get down there once I gain more confidence in my tracking/hunting skills to bag a deer).

So far I've heard that a few of the SF west of the blue mountains such as jenolan, vulcan, hampton and dog rock hold some ferals however that was an old post and I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Cheers for all the replies and welcome. Much appreciated!
Last edited by 308cool on 16 Aug 2016, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 15 Aug 2016, 10:42 pm

If you're looking for a hunting partner then drop me a PM, I have my R license and my own 4wd. None of my friends have their R and I won't go alone so if you need some company I'm keen.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ItsMe » 16 Aug 2016, 12:16 am

The DPI have a report of the species reported as seen and or taken in all the different State Forests and Parks.
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2016, 6:15 am

All the SF you mentioned have Deer in them and usually goats and pigs - best thing to do if find out exactly where you can hunt and get out there doing a recky on em and see what signs you can find and go from there.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 308cool » 16 Aug 2016, 8:53 am

bigfellascott wrote:All the SF you mentioned have Deer in them and usually goats and pigs - best thing to do if find out exactly where you can hunt and get out there doing a recky on em and see what signs you can find and go from there.

That's good to hear.
Yeah I plan to do a little scouting trip when we go out that way for a family holiday in a few months. Then go back up there in January for an actual hunt (which is when I plan on going on my first SF hunt)
Thanks
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by 308cool » 16 Aug 2016, 8:54 am

ItsMe wrote:The DPI have a report of the species reported as seen and or taken in all the different State Forests and Parks.

I've heard of those reports but could not find any nsw ones. Does the dpi still publish them?
Thanks
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ItsMe » 16 Aug 2016, 6:24 pm

308cool wrote:
ItsMe wrote:The DPI have a report of the species reported as seen and or taken in all the different State Forests and Parks.

I've heard of those reports but could not find any nsw ones. Does the dpi still publish them?
Thanks

The species reports are produced quarterly.

I'll upload one once the site becomes available after the upgrade.
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigtone » 16 Aug 2016, 8:48 pm

Got some pigs and goats in forestland and Severn forests. Found heaps of sign of dogs but couldn't find the dogs. Think they were doing a better job of watching me.
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by 308cool » 16 Aug 2016, 11:01 pm

ItsMe wrote:
308cool wrote:

Thanks

The species reports are produced quarterly.

Ahh right,
Thanks a lot! It will be a very helpful/interesting read.
Cheers
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by 308cool » 16 Aug 2016, 11:04 pm

bigtone wrote:Got some pigs and goats in forestland and Severn forests. Found heaps of sign of dogs but couldn't find the dogs. Think they were doing a better job of watching me.

Ahh thanks a ton for that info. Definitely a starting point! Do you drive up from Sydney to hunt those forests or Live up there? You'd almost have to plan a 4 day holiday if you came from Sydney? Definitely an option I'll look at next year when I have a lot of free time. Thanks again.
Cheers
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ItsMe » 17 Aug 2016, 7:41 pm

ItsMe wrote:The species reports are produced quarterly.

Lets see if you can access this:

https://www.gamelicensing.nsw.gov.au/pd ... 202016.pdf
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 308cool » 17 Aug 2016, 10:32 pm

ItsMe wrote:
ItsMe wrote:The species reports are produced quarterly.

Lets see if you can access this:

https://www.gamelicensing.nsw.gov.au/pd ... 202016.pdf

Thanks! That is super helpful.
How did you actually find that though? When I try to go to the 'game licensing' website it just directs me to a general DPI page.
Thanks again
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ItsMe » 18 Aug 2016, 5:12 pm

308cool wrote:Thanks! That is super helpful.
How did you actually find that though? When I try to go to the 'game licensing' website it just directs me to a general DPI page.
Thanks again

Go to here: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting/online-services

Click on Logon Now

Enter your R licence # and password then click on the Public Land Species Harvest Reports link.
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 308cool » 19 Aug 2016, 11:45 am

Ahh right,
I don't know how I missed that.
Cheers.
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ItsMe » 19 Aug 2016, 3:51 pm

308cool wrote:Ahh right,
I don't know how I missed that.
Cheers.

All good.
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scotty87 » 19 Aug 2016, 6:31 pm

Anyone know a good club/range/organisation that does R licence accreditation on weekends in sydney? Thinking of planning a weekend trip down to do the course as I've not had much luck finding a provider in QLD.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 21 Aug 2016, 8:20 pm

In response to scotty87 if you live in brisbane the best weekend to do r licence testing is at the shot expo at rna showgrounds i think its on the weekend 26th 27th august nsw dpi had a stand there last year 20 dollar entry fee for show takes about a half hour to do the test from memory so plenty of time to look around the good stuff aferwards
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by scotty87 » 22 Aug 2016, 4:45 am

albat wrote:In response to scotty87 if you live in brisbane the best weekend to do r licence testing is at the shot expo at rna showgrounds i think its on the weekend 26th 27th august nsw dpi had a stand there last year 20 dollar entry fee for show takes about a half hour to do the test from memory so plenty of time to look around the good stuff aferwards

Cheers, will definitely do that if I haven't figured it out by this time next year. Going to contact Coffs Harbour SSAA to see if they do the course, would make for a nice weekend away at any rate.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey