Could we get more areas for deer hunting in Vic?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Could we get more areas for deer hunting in Vic?

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Aug 2016, 9:01 pm

I just spotted this today. Seems there is another push for hunters to have additional access to areas for the purpose of sambar hunting. Hopefully they have the sense to include ferals.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-14/c ... nvironment
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Could we get more areas for deer hunting in Vic?

Post by AusTac » 18 Aug 2016, 9:26 pm

I doubt it in todays political arena, but hey you never know, would be great
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by happyhunter » 18 Aug 2016, 9:56 pm

Unfortunately the VNPA has too many people fooled into believing they are some type of authority when it comes to park management when in reality they are a fanatical anti group that would lock every man woman and child out of NPs if they
had their way.

If Ingamells thinks more research, professional culls and bio control (ie. 1080) is the answer then he is pi55ing in the wind because
those methods have been employed for years and the deer population continues to grow. When you consider the damage that just one deer causes in it's life time only a zealot like Ingamells would dismiss the positive result of the many thousands of deer ground shot by amateur hunters every year.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by juststarting » 19 Aug 2016, 12:00 am

Someone posted this article on Reddit a little back... I read it and realised that it will never get better in Australia with guns... I wondered, why isn't the ADA (supposedly a big body) going absolutely mental over the mention of biological control? It seems to me that this is THE time to get on it and start lobbying and advocating. Making noise, publicly and loudly; making an argument that demonstrates to the public that the government could solve this solved for free, humanely (I imagine dying from baiting is somewhat more uncomfortable than a well placed shot or even a poorly placed shot), yet they are wasting my money... Make it a win win situation that cannot be neglected by the government. Start calling radio stations, etc. Yet, not a peep from them. Pathetic. If this was Greens or PETA - this would be all over the news. F*cking sad.

Okay, rant over.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 19 Aug 2016, 7:07 am

Just starting... Humans hunting deer IS a biological control. It is natural predation.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 19 Aug 2016, 7:18 am

You know what I mean.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 19 Aug 2016, 8:11 am

I do. I am just saying that this is an angle to take in convincing 'the powers' that hunting can be a viable, ethical and legitimate form of biological control for certain feral species.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 19 Aug 2016, 8:14 am

"In my dreams....."
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 19 Aug 2016, 8:37 am

If deer wasen't hunted, at least in vic anyway they would out of control, and i highly doubt the environment would be able to sustain such an over population
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 19 Aug 2016, 9:20 am

bentaz wrote:You only need to check to "hunt reports" from wombat SF to see that hunting is a great control measure! As for the concerns about hunters scaring of other park users, just set hunting seasons or dont allow hunting on school holidays when most others want to camp.

What??? Two sensible and simple solutions... that can't be right.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Aug 2016, 10:45 am

bentaz wrote:You only need to check to "hunt reports" from wombat SF to see that hunting is a great control measure! As for the concerns about hunters scaring of other park users, just set hunting seasons or dont allow hunting on school holidays when most others want to camp.

That has worked for about 20 years in the Eildon State Park. The stupid bit is you can shoot deer but not ferals.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 19 Aug 2016, 11:52 am

SSAA were helping control goats in the Murray-Sunset National Park and that seemed to work so don't see whats wrong with hunters controlling feral animals in areas of the national parks where tourists and bushwarkers arn't. Even if its open for a couple of months it helps keep numbers down

SSAA article.
http://ssaa.org.au/news-resources/hunti ... g-programs

Landline
https://youtu.be/mKqxMznwbhI
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Seik » 19 Aug 2016, 3:06 pm

Vic shooters need to fight for it or you'll only get less and the antis push on with their crap.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Aug 2016, 4:48 pm

The green(s) in Vic parliament are fighting to get most of the state forest around melbourne locked up at the moment, they say to save the leadbeaters possum....when that of course BS, they just want rec out of the bush, including all shooters..... so I'd be very surprised if more NP and SP areas were opened up.

Agenda 21 = return the wilds to nature, get the people out, no tinfoiling there.

Yes. Hunters will help keep the numbers down, but honestly, if the numbers were to increase unabated, or with little control other than non-pro culling/baiting.... nature tends to balance stuff out. Yes, they will destroy more crops and represent a higher danger on roads.....

The result will be more money thrown at bating/pro cullers/ aerial BEFORE they let John Citizen into more parks....

As far as numbers shot, if hunters took 58,000 deer.....sheesh, there must be stacks more than the 200,000 they claim...I doubt hunters took a third of the pop.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Aug 2016, 5:57 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I just spotted this today.

More areas for deer hunting in Victoria ????

No, I think you've already got as much as you can have,,, unless you can make Victoria grow bigger than a parking lot.
:silent:
:unknown:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Aug 2016, 7:30 pm

We actually got more areas for deer hunting TODAY !! (Yeah I know)

Sorry all of Australia that's not Vic :lol:

Whatju talkin but willis?? Hog deer hunting for Snake island...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by RoginaJack » 24 Aug 2016, 5:04 pm

Yes, I think there are a few in Vic. working really hard to get access to more areas. Here's a couple of threads I can across.

http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/la ... isis-point

http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/la ... ake-island

Might help if all interested parties got behind and offered to help too. Just a thought.

I'm not a fan of aerial culling or culling where the carcasses are just left in the field.IMO, ALL carcasses should be removed and not left as a ready food supply for the other ferals like cats, pigs, foxes, wild dogs etc. This results in a population increase and next we have them expanding and descending on farmers and graziers crops and stock, not to mention the native species.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Aug 2016, 5:20 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Yes, I think there are a few in Vic. working really hard to get access to more areas. Here's a couple of threads I can across.

http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/la ... isis-point

http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/la ... ake-island

Might help if all interested parties got behind and offered to help too. Just a thought.

I'm not a fan of aerial culling or culling where the carcasses are just left in the field.IMO, ALL carcasses should be removed and not left as a ready food supply for the other ferals like cats, pigs, foxes, wild dogs etc. This results in a population increase and next we have them expanding and descending on farmers and graziers crops and stock, not to mention the native species.

Got my name in for a Hog Deer ballot through ADA.
And waiting on the next course for CPM accreditation through SSAA to get into these places and put some hurt on the ferals.
When I was working in the Kimberly they were regularly culling donkeys from choppers (those pilots are crazy). Pretty sure the blackfella's made use of some of the carcasses, but certainly not all of them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 25 Aug 2016, 6:03 pm

Hay Bladeracer, if you need someone to carry ya rifle and pack on the Hog Deer hunt, I'm your porter - no charge!
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Aug 2016, 6:50 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Hay Bladeracer, if you need someone to carry ya rifle and pack on the Hog Deer hunt, I'm your porter - no charge!

That's not a bad idea at all :-)

These ballots are an awesome way to stick it to the Greens that keep wanting "professional" culls purely to push their agenda that recreational shooters are yahoos and criminals that can't be trusted. Get you name in and do your bit to make this scheme work!

I entered the ballot organised by Blonde Bay Hog Deer Advisory Group for next year.
Snake Island is way closer for me but I haven't seen anything so far about ballot entries.
I know nothing at all about how the system works except that I'll be told where and when to be there, and I'm assuming my deer will be told how to recognise me - should I take a corsage?

Plenty of other deer around though so I'm not waiting just for that one :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Aug 2016, 4:58 pm

Yes, Bladeracer, well done...cheers
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey