How Many Roos ?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: How Many Roos ?

Post by Gwion » 20 Oct 2016, 6:37 am

Can't say for sure about the difference between eastern and western greys but the biggest eastern gre I have seen (a lot of them where I grew up) was significantly smaller than the big reds I saw up through SA/NT outback.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deadkitty » 20 Oct 2016, 6:27 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
deadkitty wrote:....starts taking notes....save tail.....marinade first........backstrips seared in hot pan......stop it!, you're making me hungry!

Should a 'greenie' be heard to talk about enjoying the thought of eating our national faunal symbol .... a protected species ?

If it has been legally obtained, and speaking as a confirmed carnivore, yes! 8-) Unless you think all greenies are all dreadlocked vegans living of tofu :unknown: Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 20 Oct 2016, 6:43 pm

deadkitty wrote:
MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
deadkitty wrote:....starts taking notes....save tail.....marinade first........backstrips seared in hot pan......stop it!, you're making me hungry!

Should a 'greenie' be heard to talk about enjoying the thought of eating our national faunal symbol .... a protected species ?

If it has been legally obtained, and speaking as a confirmed carnivore, yes! 8-) Unless you think all greenies are all dreadlocked vegans living of tofu :unknown: Cheers

He be gone DK :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deadkitty » 20 Oct 2016, 6:51 pm

brett1868 wrote:
deadkitty wrote:
MR. WINCHESTER wrote:

:shock: Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Oct 2016, 7:56 pm

brett1868 wrote:
deadkitty wrote:
MR. WINCHESTER wrote:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
What?
Noooooooooooo

Oh
YAY :drinks:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Oct 2016, 7:56 pm

hang on....
so deceased feline is still around?

oh.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Oct 2016, 8:00 pm

duncan61 wrote:My picture is a large western grey.you can see how furry and muscular they are.One that size would not cook up real well.My largest weighed in was 68Kg dressed.My biggest red was 43Kg.Up north you struggle to get large roos but down south they are deceptively heavy.I nearly passed up a doe last year but at 20 feet away and in front of a tree I took it and it went 22Kg.You lose 1/3 of the live weight when done for pet food and 1/4 when done for human consumption so that big buck was about 102Kg standing when I dropped it.They get bigger as you go further south and most shooters down south have a hydraulic crane set up on there utes.

Seriously? 102kg? Holllllly far out..
We have a mob of Eastern Grays that have moved in, we had Swamp Wallabies that seem to have been displaced by the roos.... wish I could drop of few...I'm not reallt happy with them getting the confidence of moving so close to the house (40 - 80m)...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 20 Oct 2016, 9:34 pm

Yeah, they get big.
Attachments
bigboy.jpg
bigboy.jpg (43.32 KiB) Viewed 5685 times
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 20 Oct 2016, 9:39 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
duncan61 wrote:My picture is a large western grey.you can see how furry and muscular they are.One that size would not cook up real well.My largest weighed in was 68Kg dressed.My biggest red was 43Kg.Up north you struggle to get large roos but down south they are deceptively heavy.I nearly passed up a doe last year but at 20 feet away and in front of a tree I took it and it went 22Kg.You lose 1/3 of the live weight when done for pet food and 1/4 when done for human consumption so that big buck was about 102Kg standing when I dropped it.They get bigger as you go further south and most shooters down south have a hydraulic crane set up on there utes.

We have a mob of Eastern Grays that have moved in, we had Swamp Wallabies that seem to have been displaced by the roos.... wish I could drop of few...I'm not reallt happy with them getting the confidence of moving so close to the house (40 - 80m)...

We've had a couple incidents over the years in town. Both times it was elderly folk that were beaten up. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but keep an eye on any kids or elderly when the mobs hanging around.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by duncan61 » 21 Oct 2016, 12:06 am

That red is a lot bigger than 43 Kg
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 21 Oct 2016, 5:41 am

What they'll is that Buck doing carrying a bucket around!???! :shock:

:wtf:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deadkitty » 21 Oct 2016, 5:51 am

Gwion wrote:What they'll is that Buck doing carrying a bucket around!???! :shock:

Probably cleaning up after messy campers...... :lol: ..sorry couldn't resist
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 21 Oct 2016, 6:01 am

deadkitty wrote:
Gwion wrote:What they'll is that Buck doing carrying a bucket around!???! :shock:

Probably cleaning up after messy campers...... :lol: ..sorry couldn't resist

That's usually me.

Mostly head out with more rubbish than I generate and a few spare tent pegs.

Some people just treat the bush as their tip!
There is a spot near by here where that is exactly what tightarsed local do!

Anyway, back to skippy...

Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wylie27 » 21 Oct 2016, 7:07 am

last time i was up the farm, about 2 months ago every day in the middle of the day we would see mobs of roos and they were active, They were just everywhere. Even stood there while we were bunny shooting.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 21 Oct 2016, 7:47 am

He crushed that bucket to make a point. I'll try find that story and post a link.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 21 Oct 2016, 7:53 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinati ... aroo-Roger
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 21 Oct 2016, 8:24 am

Cool!
I pinched the pic for the 'no dumping' thread! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 21 Oct 2016, 8:26 am

happyhunter wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:

We've had a couple incidents over the years in town. Both times it was elderly folk that were beaten up. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but keep an eye on any kids or elderly when the mobs hanging around.

Not that I'm concerned about the safety, more so about our 'human' domain becoming a de facto native animal conserve...
Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 21 Oct 2016, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 21 Oct 2016, 9:20 am

Got this big grey last year on a cull, around 5'6" and maybe 50-60kg. One of the biggest I've seen in years of shooting up there.

IMG_1066.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG (181.82 KiB) Viewed 5184 times

IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG (151.32 KiB) Viewed 5184 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 21 Oct 2016, 9:57 pm

Good back scratcher, Brett.

There are s few students at LaTrobe (Uni) that have a run in each year. Usually internationals (or maybe vegans who think all wild life are their pets).
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Deco » 23 Nov 2016, 2:57 pm

Bugger me.

Forget kicking you, you wouldn't want a slap from that fella.
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Nov 2016, 6:16 pm

I read a story about that roo somewhere.
It's "owner" gives him buckets to take his frustration out on. He literally crushes em like beer cans.

I've shot a few BIG boomers lately with paws every bit as big as my own and heavy enough that they can't be dragged by hand

EDIT ; Found a story on him ..
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour ... 47Msg8x0dQ
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Nov 2016, 6:47 pm

Poor old Roger :(
Yes he's lookin' kind of jaded
And his sight is not the best
And the hair around his muzzle's turnin' grey ....

Ripped Roger the kangaroo is now an old man suffering arthritis - Yahoo7 - News
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour ... X2vkPHxXOw
57df545366bc9_dapper_1btuknr-1btul2j.jpg
57df545366bc9_dapper_1btuknr-1btul2j.jpg (55.26 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey