How Many Roos ?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

How Many Roos ?

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 17 Oct 2016, 8:35 am

Here in coastal N.S.W. the bloody things are everywhere ?

Had one jump in front of my car last night, on a busy street in the 'burbs.

Are they as plentiful in other parts of the country ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: How Many Roos ?

Post by gazza » 17 Oct 2016, 9:58 am

Some huge mobs around. Plenty of dead on the road already. When it dries out and some of the best grass is roadside, open the crash repair shop.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 17 Oct 2016, 10:05 am

Yep there's millions around and when this flooding and the following glut of food sees numbers triple we'll be waist deep in them. We drive home from the Riverina to Sydney yesterday and at some stretches you could see 6-10 dead roos at anyone time on the road, sometimes 5 within 50m

There's talk about changing the permit system in NSW to help control numbers and I believe pet food trials are already underway one vic. One issue is in nsw a lot of pro callers s**t up shop after the prices fell a few years back and the chillers shut down too

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 17 Oct 2016, 10:06 am

Well gee, jolly gosh. You saw a kangaroo in Australia. There must be bazillions of them.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by wrenchman » 17 Oct 2016, 10:12 am

i hope you didnt get hurt any or mess you car up to bad i no deer can be real hard a good size roo has got to be like hiting one
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 17 Oct 2016, 10:31 am

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
happyhunter wrote:

Well gee, jolly gosh. You saw a kangaroo in Australia. There must be bazillions of them.

Apologies, forgot about you !

Will endeavour to talk more slowly in the future.

My point was: unusual place to tangle with a roo.
(suggesting numbers are very high ?)

A "bazillion of'em", explains it quite nicely .... thank you.

Last edited by MR. WINCHESTER on 17 Oct 2016, 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Oct 2016, 10:31 am

No shortage of em in the paddocks and on the sides of the roads around my joint, often see mobs of 50 or more in the same paddocks day after day. Not so many dead on the roads at the moment due to plenty of green feed in the paddocks but once that starts to die off again I'm sure we will be playing Russian Roulette as we drive at night. (mind you there are about 20 dead on the sides of the road on one 40km journey I do regularly but that's not as bad as it can get with them at times.

And wombats, don't get me started on those stupid bloody things, we see em regularly on the sides of the road, alive and dead or standing in the middle of the roads waiting to die, dumb as dog s**t they are. :silent:

And no shortage of deer around here either, occasionally you'll see one dead on the side of the road after being hit by a car or truck, often see them standing on the side of the roads coming back from cutting wood out near the pines (fallow).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 17 Oct 2016, 10:36 am

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
happyhunter wrote:

Apologies .... I forgot about you !

Will endeavour to talk more slowly in the future, Gee Whiz !

Maybe in NSW it's a fresh new thing to see a Kangaroo. They have been around the suburbs for decades.. or maybe it has something to do with suburbs appearing where kangaroos already live?

There's no evidence that suggests there are more skippies now than a few years ago. The numbers fluctuate with conditions and there has always been heaps of them in Australia.. cos it's 'Stralia mate!
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Chronos » 17 Oct 2016, 1:49 pm

happyhunter wrote:
MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
happyhunter wrote:

Apologies .... I forgot about you !

Will endeavour to talk more slowly in the future, Gee Whiz !

Maybe in NSW it's a fresh new thing to see a Kangaroo. They have been around the suburbs for decades.. or maybe it has something to do with suburbs appearing where kangaroos already live?

There's no evidence that suggests there are more skippies now than a few years ago. The numbers fluctuate with conditions and there has always been heaps of them in Australia.. cos it's 'Stralia mate!

Roo numbers in western QLD and western NSW exploded after the floods of 2011 and 2012. Dry spells in the last few years saw huge numbers of roos invade towns searching for food, turns out they love the irrigated lawns and gardens residents of these towns conveniently provide. Councils were issuing warnings to residents and many farmers were saying they've bbeen ver seen roos in those numbers.

Yes environmental factors can see numbers double and even triple in one or two seasons but controlling them is becoming more and more difficult and expensive and the collapse of the Russian roo meat export market had a huge effect on the number of shooters and processing operations in nsw.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by deadkitty » 17 Oct 2016, 5:14 pm

Which species guys?, are they roo's or Wallabies?. I live in a largish nature reserve and Eastern Grey Kangaroo's have become a rare sight. ditto Wallaroo's and several species of Wallabies. Before someone jumps on me. yes I do know that Western Reds do breed up out west to unsustainable numbers... i.e. culling IS required occassionally. Why have my local Roo's and Wallabies disappeared?.... dogs and idiots with guns who see them as little more than a cheap source of dog food (illegal by the way) or a target to shoot at. It's threads like this that make me cringe, simplistic statements followed by simplistic "solutions". i.e. Oh look I saw some roo's they must be out of control.... we need to start shooting them. Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 17 Oct 2016, 6:39 pm

I was in Tassie a couple weeks ago and there were wallabies freaking everywhere, went for a hike up near Lake St Clair and stupidly drove around dusk (had to get to the pub for dinner) and over 5km I had half a dozen jump in front of the car, I knew they would be about so never got over 40km but they were unbelievable scenes
Bigjobss

Post by Noisydad » 17 Oct 2016, 7:01 pm

In Nth East Vic, Lady Noisy's Xtrail was being hit by Eastern Grey's and /or wallabies every 8-10 days! She got so ticked off she even tried driving at walking pace and one smashed into the Xtrail's rear door! I was gunna get a roo shaped stencil for her so she paint a roo shape on the drivers door every time one of the bloody jumping rats committed suicide.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by deadkitty » 17 Oct 2016, 7:05 pm

Noisydad wrote:In Nth East Vic, Lady Noisy's Xtrail was being hit by Eastern Grey's and /or wallabies every 8-10 days! She got so ticked off she even tried driving at walking pace and one smashed into the Xtrail's rear door! I was gunna get a roo shaped stencil for her so she paint a roo shape on the drivers door every time one of the bloody jumping rats committed suicide.

My wife calls roo dents "character marks" the old Nissan was full of them :lol: New car...nice and neat....touch wood..... (noting not to drive fast at dusk or dawn :ugeek: ) Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 17 Oct 2016, 7:07 pm

'my wife'...

Is that a euphormism ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deadkitty » 17 Oct 2016, 7:31 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:'my wife'...

Is that a euphormism ?

If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you really are. :P
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 17 Oct 2016, 7:43 pm

When I was out at Barcaldine/Longreach last Christmas before all the rains came. They were everywhere. Mobs of up to 100. Eating whatever food was left in the paddocks. Was a Roo cull and we could not even put a dent in the buggers. Sadly now I think they will explode again with all the winter rain in Central QLD. Probably have to head out again to lend a hand. Mostly greys, the odd big red, not many though.

A lot of suburbs in Nth Brisbane and the Gold Coast I see Roo's. Not an unusual sight to be honest as a lot of their land is being developed into housing estates.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deadkitty » 18 Oct 2016, 3:06 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:I just report the facts ,,, you dirty liitle f**k.

What's your problem ?, you like to dish it out but can't handle it and resort to abuse if it boomerangs on you?. A few corrections while I'm here, firstly you report your opinions, these are not facts, please refer to a dictionary if you cannot understand the difference. Secondly, I am neither dirty or little, a fact that unfortunately , from my point of view, you won't get to see for yourself, because someone needs to teach you a few lessons in civility and manners. If you can't handle it, stop dishing it out, it's a simple enough lesson. :lol: :lol: :lol: Won't be responding to your abusive posts from this point on. :silent:
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 18 Oct 2016, 5:18 pm

I'm heading north in a couple weeks to test some ammo and assist with culling activities. I've been shooting in the same area up there for almost 41 years now and have never seen as many Roo's as I have the past couple years. When I was younger we generally left the Roo's alone cause there wasn't many and we were more interested in making some money on fox skins. They are definitely breeding faster and I believe that with all the mining and destruction of native forest they are running out of places to hide so we see greater numbers. Definitely a waste of a natural resource that has potential commercial value for both meat and leather.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deadkitty » 18 Oct 2016, 5:49 pm

brett1868 wrote:I'm heading north in a couple weeks to test some ammo and assist with culling activities. I've been shooting in the same area up there for almost 41 years now and have never seen as many Roo's as I have the past couple years. When I was younger we generally left the Roo's alone cause there wasn't many and we were more interested in making some money on fox skins. They are definitely breeding faster and I believe that with all the mining and destruction of native forest they are running out of places to hide so we see greater numbers. Definitely a waste of a natural resource that has potential commercial value for both meat and leather.

I agree Brett, Kangaroo's breeding is determined by the avilability of permanent water, build bores and dam and numbers will keep on increasing in those areas. I'd like to see Kangaroo farming as a start up industry, supplimented by the roo's taken from culls like the one you're about to undertake. Cheers.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 18 Oct 2016, 10:07 pm

Kangaroo leather is highly valued for it's resistance to abrasion and light weight compared to cow hide, many of the top MotoGP racers have leathers made from skippy. No matter how valuable Roo products could be there is a psychological barrier of killing our national symbol that's difficult to overcome before large scale commercial farming could be done. I've eaten skippy burgers, sausages and even a kebab and don't mind it one bit, tastes good and very healthy when compared to other red meats. Possibly it can't be Halal taxed which is why we don't see more of it on the shelves?
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Oct 2016, 11:41 pm

Noisydad wrote:In Nth East Vic, Lady Noisy's Xtrail was being hit by Eastern Grey's and /or wallabies every 8-10 days! She got so ticked off she even tried driving at walking pace and one smashed into the Xtrail's rear door! I was gunna get a roo shaped stencil for her so she paint a roo shape on the drivers door every time one of the bloody jumping rats committed suicide.

Spot on there matey,,
It's amazing how many people say, "I hit a roo last night"
Whereas in fact, I would say that 99% of the time the mongrels jump, and hit the vehicle.

It's a wonder the greentards haven't tried to ban cars Aus wide.

And yes,, they are at almost plague level out my way, and breeding like b#ggery.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 19 Oct 2016, 1:08 am

I thought macro meats ran the whole eastern seaboard from SA to NTH Queensland.We have human consumption meat here in woolies and coles from over east.Our main human consumption processor was King river but as someone mentioned the Russian and satellite states of russia died when South american beef cleared for export and flooded Europe with cheap beef.I was in the office when an order for 3 full seatainers came in and it took 30min for the boss to explain he just has not got that amount to sell.It closed down the industry here and we now have 6 lic processers which only one will regularly buy carcasses
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by happyhunter » 19 Oct 2016, 8:04 am

I'd like to see Kangaroo farming as a start up industry, supplimented by the roo's taken from culls like the one you're about to undertake. Cheers.

There are reasons skippy isn't farmed.
1. It's a wild animal.
2. There is a large enough wild population to sustain an industry without the need for farming.
3. They develop a disease of the central nervous system if stressed, by actions like by being rounded up into holding yards.

4.Overseas markets have disappeared and professional shooters are having to leave the industry. There's no money in it.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 19 Oct 2016, 8:20 am

So why did the OS market dry up?

Surely it was not just sold as a cheap beef substitute???
Maybe a bit of targeted marketing could kick start it again?

Come to think about it, I haven't seen it in supermarkets for a while, either.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 19 Oct 2016, 8:28 am

Gwion wrote:So why did the OS market dry up?

Surely it was not just sold as a cheap beef substitute???
Maybe a bit of targeted marketing could kick start it again?

Come to think about it, I haven't seen it in supermarkets for a while, either.

It's in the Coles super markets here in the game meat section, along with some pretty ordinary looking vac packed wild rabbit.

Not sure what slowed the exports. There was some nature nazis banging on about it and creating a negative vibe and California put a ban on importing, but not sure how that ended.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 19 Oct 2016, 8:52 am

Rarely use Coles.

Can't say I've seen it once since moving to Tas.

Mind you, I rarely look in the meat case as we have a big freezer full of our own.

Use to see it all the time in Vic supermarkets.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2016, 8:59 am

I'd like to see a Masterchef challenge featuring Roo, Croc & Emu dishes, maybe that'll increase awareness / demand :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deadkitty » 19 Oct 2016, 9:39 am

brett1868 wrote:I'd like to see a Masterchef challenge featuring Roo, Croc & Emu dishes, maybe that'll increase awareness / demand :)

That's a brilliant bit of lateral thinking Brett! :clap: , don't like roo much or Emu but Croc....mmmmmm yum!.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 19 Oct 2016, 9:46 am

Roo on its own isn't the tastiest of meats. It is a very lean meat and needs to be treated right so that it doesn't dry out. Marinate almost any meat in the right goodies for the right amount of time and you can make a very tasty meal!

Master Chef and other cooking comp shows would make a great platform for alternative Australian meats to be marketed..... what about Tree Rabbit??? :lol: Plenty of those need thinning out in places!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Chronos » 19 Oct 2016, 4:00 pm

Gwion wrote:Roo on its own isn't the tastiest of meats. It is a very lean meat and needs to be treated right so that it doesn't dry out. Marinate almost any meat in the right goodies for the right amount of time and you can make a very tasty meal!

Master Chef and other cooking comp shows would make a great platform for alternative Australian meats to be marketed..... what about Tree Rabbit??? :lol: Plenty of those need thinning out in places!

I have tpo disagree G, Roo backstrap with a little salt and pepper seared in a HOT pan and served rare is one of the tastiest meals around. other roo cuts make excellent pies and curries as well as sausages if you add the right amount of pork fat to keep them from drying out

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey