"deer are a problem, but shooters a bigger problem"

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

"deer are a problem, but shooters a bigger problem"

Post by bladeracer » 12 Nov 2016, 12:39 pm

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: "deer are a problem, but shooters a bigger problem"

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Nov 2016, 1:37 pm

Just takes a few irresponsible people to stuff it for everyone. Just like fishing, there is aways a few who take undersized fish. (Dont seem to hear much about that in the news) Problem is there is only 5 officers perhaps for the whole state. What a joke.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Nov 2016, 4:23 pm

This is not a new thing.

Feral dogs have been following hunters in NE Vic for years. This is why I don't agree with trophy hunting. Sure, keep a trophy but leaving everything but the head, back straps and maybe a leg is just creating a habitual ideation problem with feral dogs and giving them a free feed so they can support a larger population of stronger animals.

I cringe every tin I hear or read some say, "I just took the head, cape and back straps". More often than not the same people can be heard complaining about the feral dog problem......
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Nov 2016, 5:03 pm

Gwion wrote:This is not a new thing.

Feral dogs have been following hunters in NE Vic for years. This is why I don't agree with trophy hunting. Sure, keep a trophy but leaving everything but the head, back straps and maybe a leg is just creating a habitual ideation problem with feral dogs and giving them a free feed so they can support a larger population of stronger animals.

I cringe every tin I hear or read some say, "I just took the head, cape and back straps". More often than not the same people can be heard complaining about the feral dog problem......

I agree. Waste not want not. Take it all out, even if just for the dogs at home.
    Hunt safe.
    Oldbloke
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Nov 2016, 5:40 pm

I've read lots of times about deer hunters in the US that gives hundreds of kilos of venison to homeless shelters - would we even be allowed to do that here?
    Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
    bladeracer
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by albat » 12 Nov 2016, 5:55 pm

Im hearing you guys about taking it all out but hey im sometimes 5ks or more from a vehicle out in the thick stuff in 35 degrees 2 round trips to recover the whole thing and you have to leave the guts out there anyway which the dogs feast on i can understand the backstraps and prime cuts scenario
    albat
    Corporal
    Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Nov 2016, 6:39 pm

albat wrote:Im hearing you guys about taking it all out but hey im sometimes 5ks or more from a vehicle out in the thick stuff in 35 degrees 2 round trips to recover the whole thing and you have to leave the guts out there anyway which the dogs feast on i can understand the backstraps and prime cuts scenario

I'm hearing you. But often in the past there have been reports of whole carcass being left beside tracks etc. No excuse.
    Hunt safe.
    Oldbloke
    Field Marshal
    Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by albat » 12 Nov 2016, 6:58 pm

Its common practice to see shot dogs hung from the fences here in qld often by the landowners its still rotting meat attracting ferals go figure that one?
    albat
    Corporal
    Corporal

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 12 Nov 2016, 9:50 pm

bladeracer wrote:I've read lots of times about deer hunters in the US that gives hundreds of kilos of venison to homeless shelters - would we even be allowed to do that here?

Not sure? (probably not considering the "Government" is not making a dollar off it :roll: ) but its a very good idea imo, that I doubt those in need would report you for btw.... :thumbsup:

:drinks:
    “Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
    darwindingo
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

-

Post by wrenchman » 13 Nov 2016, 3:23 am

in many parts of the country here is against the law to leave a dead game animal in the woods to rot that does not mean it dont happen but even in areas were it is not aginst the law it is higly frown appon by hunters.
    It is when some of you guys talk about shooting roos and you have leave them it is so wrong to me it is just the way we are here if you kill it you should eat it.
    vermin like yotes and other animals would not count .
    most food banks will take wild game and fresh garden produce
    wrenchman
    Warrant Officer C1
    Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Tiiger » 30 Nov 2016, 10:44 am

albat wrote:Im hearing you guys about taking it all out but hey im sometimes 5ks or more from a vehicle out in the thick stuff in 35 degrees 2 round trips to recover the whole thing and you have to leave the guts out there anyway which the dogs feast on i can understand the backstraps and prime cuts scenario

Bury it? Something to that effect.
    Tiiger
    Corporal
    Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 13 Dec 2016, 7:47 pm

I don't know,they sook about shooters leaving carcasses, but in south Australia at least the government is more than happy to pay "professional" shooters to kill them and leave them to rot at the tax payers expense.
    bigpete
    Colonel
    Colonel

South Australia

Post by coroboreeboy » 14 Dec 2016, 7:52 am

I accept that there are issues regarding deer hunters but the argument regarding carcasses being left on the ground seems a little forced. After all, if the deer isn't shot and killed, eventually it will die of old age, and it's carcass will be left to rot on the ground.
    coroboreeboy
    Recruit
    Recruit

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey