What scope should I buy?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: What scope should I buy?

Post by deye243 » 29 Nov 2016, 8:45 pm

1426 yards to be precise
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Nov 2016, 6:32 am

deye243 wrote:trust me Scott if you are cranking up and down 45 plus moa cheap scopes are better left on the shelf .

cheers

That's what I said D :thumbsup: most don't bother with that side of things on hunting rifles so no need to pay for the higher quality scopes that are designed to do so with good repeatability.

I'd say the majority of hunters don't even touch their turrets once they are sighted in until such time as they change ammo type etc.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by JesseUSarmy » 09 Dec 2016, 5:25 pm

I have a Burris XTR II 5-25x50.

Rated up to 50 BMG. I use it on a Ruger precision 308. Have hit 550 yards (haven't gone to a range with more distance) with it, clear glass, holds up great. Overall no complaints
JesseUSarmy
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by tom604 » 09 Dec 2016, 6:03 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
deye243 wrote:trust me Scott if you are cranking up and down 45 plus moa cheap scopes are better left on the shelf .

cheers

That's what I said D :thumbsup: most don't bother with that side of things on hunting rifles so no need to pay for the higher quality scopes that are designed to do so with good repeatability.

I'd say the majority of hunters don't even touch their turrets once they are sighted in until such time as they change ammo type etc.

^^^^this ^^^^ a bit high at a 100 and your good for 150, aim a bit high and your good for 200, you dont normally have time to dial up 45 moa :shock: dont think my nikon has that much adjustment anyway :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Bosbefok » 09 Dec 2016, 6:44 pm

I vote Leupold. Lifetime warranty and great after sale service would be the reason. They are moderately priced too.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 09 Dec 2016, 6:52 pm

Bosbefok wrote:I vote Leupold. Lifetime warranty and great after sale service would be the reason. They are moderately priced too.

not any more over a grand for a vx3 4.5-14x50 they were good at $800 but they are not a good buy at a $1000 and yes I am a loopy fan I used to have 10 of them .

IMG_1486 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1486 (Medium).JPG (83.56 KiB) Viewed 5980 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bosbefok » 09 Dec 2016, 7:06 pm

deye243 wrote:
Bosbefok wrote:I vote Leupold. Lifetime warranty and great after sale service would be the reason. They are moderately priced too.

not any more over a grand for a vx3 4.5-14x50 they were good at $800 but they are not a good buy at a $1000 and yes I am a loopy fan I used to have 10 of them .

IMG_1486 (Medium).JPG

Get a vx 1 or 2. My bud has a Prostaff 4-12 or 14. I have a vx 1 4-12. Side by side comparison at dusk and the loopy was heaps clearer. The prostaff was very fuzzy. Vx1 is more than enough for a hunting rifle IMO.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2016, 8:13 pm

Bosbefok wrote:
deye243 wrote:

IMG_1486 (Medium).JPG

Get a vx 1 or 2. My bud has a Prostaff 4-12 or 14. I have a vx 1 4-12. Side by side comparison at dusk and the loopy was heaps clearer. The prostaff was very fuzzy. Vx1 is more than enough for a hunting rifle IMO.

Did you focus it for your eyes?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 09 Dec 2016, 8:20 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Bosbefok wrote:
deye243 wrote:

IMG_1486 (Medium).JPG

very important thing to do
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2016, 8:24 pm

deye243 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Bosbefok wrote:
deye243 wrote:

IMG_1486 (Medium).JPG

very important thing to do

Helps if u don't want a blurry image I find :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 09 Dec 2016, 8:28 pm

especially when you go up on the power ring 8-)
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2016, 8:34 pm

deye243 wrote:especially when you go up on the power ring 8-)

:thumbsup: I find as I'm getting older I have to focus them more often, I guess they eyes are starting to go. :cry:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 09 Dec 2016, 9:14 pm

mine have I can no longer use my sons rifles without changing focus .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Dec 2016, 4:27 am

deye243 wrote:mine have I can no longer use my sons rifles without changing focus .

Bloody annoying hey. I guess just another reminder time marches on - I dread the day I have to wear glasses to shoot! :cry:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 10 Dec 2016, 1:48 pm

yeah my arms are to short but I can still see a rabbit at 600+ if the grass is short enough and no mirage
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 10 Dec 2016, 4:40 pm

When I purchased my first centre fire rifle.A ruger in.222 with a 22 inch S/S knitting needle barrel I mounted a $98 nighteater 6x40 fixed scope and went out and head shot roos for years so it definiatly is all about what you need.Did the origional poster ever respond
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by ursus » 24 Dec 2016, 10:21 am

Hi, fellas. I am new to hunting. Went to hunt with my friends twice, and now am buying the rifle of my own. And - obviously - agonising over the scope. There is the usual rhetoric at the shop that the best scope I can afford will allow me to shoot a rabbit from a kilometer, at night and will last me forever. I am exaggerating of course, but not that much. While tempting to get something expensive, I have seen many times that folks good at something often use cheaper equipment to achieve it. One example - my friends who are involved in cycling: the best one has very average pushbike, while the weaker ones boast $20k machines.

Anyway. This thread has been a lot of help. I just have one question left: how important is an illuminated reticle? Some say it helps a lot, others - no big deal. I am planning to hunt both during the day and night time. This feature pushes the price of a scope quite a bit. Really, how important is it?
ursus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 26 Dec 2016, 12:17 pm

Personally I would say it is not at all important. There are 3 scopes I use at night, all pretty cheap and none with illuminated reticule.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by scotty87 » 28 Dec 2016, 10:07 am

Illuminated reticle scopes usually are a little heavier which adds up if the rifle is going to be hauled on long hikes. My .308 scope has an illuminated reticle and I can't say I've ever used it.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bosbefok » 28 Dec 2016, 11:37 am

I hate batteries in anything. I think you need to replace batteries if you have an illuminated reticle? I would say that it is not that important.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 28 Dec 2016, 12:30 pm

Bosbefok wrote:I hate batteries in anything. I think you need to replace batteries if you have an illuminated reticle? I would say that it is not that important.

There is a type that doesn't need batteries. You shine a torch down the tube for a moment and it holds the glow for a while, kid of like those old halloween toys.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 28 Dec 2016, 1:14 pm

I'm not a fan of illuminated reticles and as a rule I remove the batteries from the scopes so they don't corrode. For me it's just another thing to remember batteries for or to turn off. When spotlighting I have a HID light and have no problem seeing the cross hairs. Occasionally if the mood strikes I'll sit in the paddock corner and use a thermal sight which is very effective on pigs & giant bunnies.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by alan j » 28 Dec 2016, 2:23 pm

Leupold vx 1 for me. A mate buys 2nd hand kahles, I find the vx 1 clearer and better on low light. Plus they are a lot cheaper.
alan j
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 28 Dec 2016, 2:36 pm

Illuminated reticle is something you don't need that could maybe go wrong. Also, check the warranties. Some scopes that have lifetime warranty are excluded from this if they have an illuminated reticle, or at least they used to be
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ursus » 05 Jan 2017, 10:57 am

Continuing with the stupid questions: what kind of magnification should I get for my first scope. I plan to hunt mostly during the day.
ursus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 05 Jan 2017, 11:43 am

3-9 magnification is a common hunting recommendation.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 05 Jan 2017, 12:15 pm

It depends on what you're hunting, where, from how far and with what.
A big bore for short range would be best served by a low magnification, something small used at range against small targets would benefit from higher magnification, etc.

A very common and popular all rounder is 3-9. If you're going to be hunting a lot in low light, then a larger objective may be useful.

Target work would be best served by a target scope, where as most hunters want something light and "set and forget".

Personally, my go to hunting rifles both wear 3-9, one 40 and the other 42.

Edit: I know you said you plan to hunt mostly during the day, but you'll likely find yourself hunting around dusk, perhaps even spotlighting, so include this in your considerations.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Medic » 05 Jan 2017, 12:53 pm

I like a small fixed 3 power for almost everything. Check out vortex spitfire 3x, amazing little scope. I also really like my 1.5-5x
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by ursus » 05 Jan 2017, 3:14 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:It depends on what you're hunting, where, from how far and with what.
A big bore for short range would be best served by a low magnification, something small used at range against small targets would benefit from higher magnification, etc.

A very common and popular all rounder is 3-9. If you're going to be hunting a lot in low light, then a larger objective may be useful.

Target work would be best served by a target scope, where as most hunters want something light and "set and forget".

Personally, my go to hunting rifles both wear 3-9, one 40 and the other 42.

Edit: I know you said you plan to hunt mostly during the day, but you'll likely find yourself hunting around dusk, perhaps even spotlighting, so include this in your considerations.

If I may ask another one. Are scopes for daylight hunting different from those for the dark? I was under the impression that setting the spotlight on top of it is the only difference.
ursus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 05 Jan 2017, 5:45 pm

Better quality glass will transmit more light to your eye and so be better for low light. It will also have better coatings that filter the right spectrum. A larger objective lens will also transmit (or 'gather') more light.
That said, my Vortex diamondback scopes work fine at dusk and under lights. They have 40mm objective lens. Technically it's a ratio of objective lens diameter to magnification thing but you don't need to spend huge dollars for a usable scope.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey