What scope should I buy?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: What scope should I buy?

Post by scotty87 » 28 Dec 2016, 10:07 am

Illuminated reticle scopes usually are a little heavier which adds up if the rifle is going to be hauled on long hikes. My .308 scope has an illuminated reticle and I can't say I've ever used it.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bosbefok » 28 Dec 2016, 11:37 am

I hate batteries in anything. I think you need to replace batteries if you have an illuminated reticle? I would say that it is not that important.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 28 Dec 2016, 12:30 pm

Bosbefok wrote:I hate batteries in anything. I think you need to replace batteries if you have an illuminated reticle? I would say that it is not that important.

There is a type that doesn't need batteries. You shine a torch down the tube for a moment and it holds the glow for a while, kid of like those old halloween toys.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 28 Dec 2016, 1:14 pm

I'm not a fan of illuminated reticles and as a rule I remove the batteries from the scopes so they don't corrode. For me it's just another thing to remember batteries for or to turn off. When spotlighting I have a HID light and have no problem seeing the cross hairs. Occasionally if the mood strikes I'll sit in the paddock corner and use a thermal sight which is very effective on pigs & giant bunnies.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by alan j » 28 Dec 2016, 2:23 pm

Leupold vx 1 for me. A mate buys 2nd hand kahles, I find the vx 1 clearer and better on low light. Plus they are a lot cheaper.
alan j
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 28 Dec 2016, 2:36 pm

Illuminated reticle is something you don't need that could maybe go wrong. Also, check the warranties. Some scopes that have lifetime warranty are excluded from this if they have an illuminated reticle, or at least they used to be
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ursus » 05 Jan 2017, 10:57 am

Continuing with the stupid questions: what kind of magnification should I get for my first scope. I plan to hunt mostly during the day.
ursus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 05 Jan 2017, 11:43 am

3-9 magnification is a common hunting recommendation.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 05 Jan 2017, 12:15 pm

It depends on what you're hunting, where, from how far and with what.
A big bore for short range would be best served by a low magnification, something small used at range against small targets would benefit from higher magnification, etc.

A very common and popular all rounder is 3-9. If you're going to be hunting a lot in low light, then a larger objective may be useful.

Target work would be best served by a target scope, where as most hunters want something light and "set and forget".

Personally, my go to hunting rifles both wear 3-9, one 40 and the other 42.

Edit: I know you said you plan to hunt mostly during the day, but you'll likely find yourself hunting around dusk, perhaps even spotlighting, so include this in your considerations.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Medic » 05 Jan 2017, 12:53 pm

I like a small fixed 3 power for almost everything. Check out vortex spitfire 3x, amazing little scope. I also really like my 1.5-5x
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by ursus » 05 Jan 2017, 3:14 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:It depends on what you're hunting, where, from how far and with what.
A big bore for short range would be best served by a low magnification, something small used at range against small targets would benefit from higher magnification, etc.

A very common and popular all rounder is 3-9. If you're going to be hunting a lot in low light, then a larger objective may be useful.

Target work would be best served by a target scope, where as most hunters want something light and "set and forget".

Personally, my go to hunting rifles both wear 3-9, one 40 and the other 42.

Edit: I know you said you plan to hunt mostly during the day, but you'll likely find yourself hunting around dusk, perhaps even spotlighting, so include this in your considerations.

If I may ask another one. Are scopes for daylight hunting different from those for the dark? I was under the impression that setting the spotlight on top of it is the only difference.
ursus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 05 Jan 2017, 5:45 pm

Better quality glass will transmit more light to your eye and so be better for low light. It will also have better coatings that filter the right spectrum. A larger objective lens will also transmit (or 'gather') more light.
That said, my Vortex diamondback scopes work fine at dusk and under lights. They have 40mm objective lens. Technically it's a ratio of objective lens diameter to magnification thing but you don't need to spend huge dollars for a usable scope.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2017, 8:52 pm

ursus wrote:If I may ask another one. Are scopes for daylight hunting different from those for the dark? I was under the impression that setting the spotlight on top of it is the only difference.

Quality of the glass dictates how well it works in low light. Cheap Chinese stuff generally sucks in anything less than good daylight.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2017, 9:11 pm

ursus wrote:Continuing with the stupid questions: what kind of magnification should I get for my first scope. I plan to hunt mostly during the day.

Depends on what you want from it really.

Four-power was the "standard" years ago and is still a good choice, not too high for close-range moving shots, not too low for a reasonable view out to 200m or so.
Nowadays though, variables are much more precise than they used to be. I lean toward 4-12x but once I tried Bushnell's 4.5-18x40 I've now gone to those exclusively. Got six so far and more to come I'm sure. If you're only shooting out to 200m max then something in the 3-9x range might work better.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ursus » 06 Jan 2017, 1:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:
ursus wrote:If I may ask another one. Are scopes for daylight hunting different from those for the dark? I was under the impression that setting the spotlight on top of it is the only difference.

Quality of the glass dictates how well it works in low light. Cheap Chinese stuff generally sucks in anything less than good daylight.

I am assuming known brands should have good quality glass - Leopold, Nikon, Bushnell etc.?

After reading this thread I am leaning towards Leupold VX, Nikon Prostate or Vortex Diamondback. I will probably lean towards the bigger objective - over 40 mm, maybe even 50mm. These brands seem to have what I am thinking of for under $1000.
ursus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Jan 2017, 4:32 pm

ursus wrote:After reading this thread I am leaning towards Leupold VX, Nikon Prostate or Vortex Diamondback. I will probably lean towards the bigger objective - over 40 mm, maybe even 50mm. These brands seem to have what I am thinking of for under $1000.

Make sure you take a pair of latex gloves with you when you go to check the Nikon Prostate...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by tom604 » 06 Jan 2017, 5:17 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:
ursus wrote:After reading this thread I am leaning towards Leupold VX, Nikon Prostate or Vortex Diamondback. I will probably lean towards the bigger objective - over 40 mm, maybe even 50mm. These brands seem to have what I am thinking of for under $1000.

Make sure you take a pair of latex gloves with you when you go to check the Nikon Prostate...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jan 2017, 7:18 am

My mate had a look through my Nikon prostaff 3-9x50 (he didn't know what it was at the time) and first thing he said was "f*** that's good glass, clear as" he said what is it I said it's that $200 Nikon :D He loves his Nightforce and VX6 Leupolds but was blown away with how good the Nikon is, we've done heaps of comparisons with diff scopes in all sorts of light conditions from daylight to last light and cloudy etc that little Nikon don't give SFA away to the better quality stuff and in some cases it was better than one of his Leupolds, it had better contrast/definition etc and was a little sharper looking to my eyes (Can't remember the model of that particular leupold now but was a fairly good version not their base version)

One thing I will say is I won't buy a scope that doesn't have at least a 50mm Objective now, I just find them to be better for me than the 40's etc :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sam45 » 08 Jan 2017, 11:48 am

brett1868 wrote:I'm not a fan of illuminated reticles and as a rule I remove the batteries from the scopes so they don't corrode. For me it's just another thing to remember batteries for or to turn off. When spotlighting I have a HID light and have no problem seeing the cross hairs. Occasionally if the mood strikes I'll sit in the paddock corner and use a thermal sight which is very effective on pigs & giant bunnies.

Giant Bunnies :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That would definitely require the .50 cal
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey