Map of all R licence NSW hunting state forests

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Map of all R licence NSW hunting state forests

Post by Sam45 » 09 Jan 2017, 7:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Sam45 wrote:So where do you leave the car lol.I wouldn't leave my rifle in the car either tbh.

At home with my girlfriend.

I have 2 hopes of my wife dropping me off lol :clap:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 09 Jan 2017, 7:56 pm

Never seen anyone in the state forests all the times i've been in nsw try to get in the far flung areas away from disturbances i always set the trail cam up on the car with a notice saying so on the dash!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by scotty87 » 11 Jan 2017, 5:17 am

Archie wrote:
scotty87 wrote:...I end up leaving the rifle in the car and focused on navigating by topo map and compass bearing.....

I guess it depends on your setup, how secure it is, but in state forests I always worry that some toerag is gonna find your car when you're out of camp for a few hours and you're going to have to explain to mr policeman how come you lost that rifle...

Bury it under enough dirty jocks you should be right, if you do the correct thing storage wise and having it out of sight and bolt and ammo locked up its just too bad if someone knocks it off. Where do you draw the line otherwise? Just leave the firearms at home in case someone else wants to be a criminal?

Its one of those things you take all reasonable measures. I am gonna put a lockable toolbox in down the track mainly to know I comply with all states laws when travelling.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by anacrolix » 07 Feb 2017, 8:10 pm

I typically go for 2-3 nights. No showers. After 3 nights it starts to get a bit tiresome. I go so far afield I don't worry about my car. I lock it up if I go out all day, but like someone else said, I've rarely seen anyone out there. And the people have I seen, (maybe 3 groups in 40-50 trips), it's always on tracks and in cars, and they're as surprised as me. Never ever seen anyone on foot. I take minimum 10L per person, probably 5L per person per day, for cooking and coffees and s**t. But I also use a life straw bottle, and use that whenever I can for drinking, including during hunts.

I'm not an expert, but there's only so much you can do for security for your firearms. I think it's more than acceptable to have it locked in your vehicle, if people are looking to steal firearms they'd have much better luck in the city than trying to find you in thousands of acres of bush. I don't think stalking armed and prepared hunters is a very good business model. I didn't find the far north forests very good. Too dry and hot, and then where they aren't, they're too wet and overgrown.
anacrolix
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by anacrolix » 07 Feb 2017, 8:14 pm

Sam45 wrote:
scotty87 wrote:
Sam45 wrote:
albat wrote::thumbsup: Good stuff sam 45 i go to the northern nsw forests from brisbane if youre keen anytime

Always keen and pretty much free every weekend :thumbsup: Will need some training in reading maps and a few other things lol. As this will be my first time doing this. :thumbsup: Have a basic understanding of course, just the finer details.

Its not too bad, went out for my first time in Girard last weekend, tips would be bring twice as much water as you'll think you'll need and never leave your map, frightened myself just 15mins in cos I left my pack to run back to the car quickly to get something I had forgot, I had a compass bearing to follow but got turned around easily and was without water, luckily my instincts were right and I managed to find the car.

As for the GPS requirement, just get a $100 android tablet, I have a Lenovo one, and use avenza maps it's free and you load the forestry maps in, this plus a printed map allows you find where you are so you can get and follow a compass bearing on your printed maps. I never used my dedicated GPS, Magellan 310, but it is a good backup as it takes AA batteries.

The avenza app while 4x4 through the park was invaluable in getting to the hunting locations and finding everything easily. You can screenshot the locations of places of interest too. She's a bit dry out there at the moment but I'm keen to get back out there after it cools off and the area has had a good dowsing of rain.

Yep I have a thousand questions lol.Water is probably one of the most important. I have a tablet with the avenza maps. So can you park close by, like where you camp and just do day runs and have a base so to speak? I'm a n00b to this for sure, @ 47 :crazy: In all honesty I have NFI what to expect nor what gear I really need.... Hard to get properties, so this is a great way to still hunt and have some fun camping :thumbsup:

Find a good spot to camp first, near where you want to hunt that evening and next morning, out of sight, reasonably clear, phone reception and access to main road if possible. Hunt until dark. Hunt next morning. Drive around when it's hot looking for your next area. Sometimes if an area is epicly good, the morning hunt extends into mid afternoon. It's rare that I've camped twice in the same spot consecutively.
anacrolix
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 08 Feb 2017, 6:32 pm

anacrolix wrote:
Sam45 wrote:
scotty87 wrote:
Sam45 wrote:
albat wrote::thumbsup: Good stuff sam 45 i go to the northern nsw forests from brisbane if youre keen anytime

Always keen and pretty much free every weekend :thumbsup: Will need some training in reading maps and a few other things lol. As this will be my first time doing this. :thumbsup: Have a basic understanding of course, just the finer details.

Its not too bad, went out for my first time in Girard last weekend, tips would be bring twice as much water as you'll think you'll need and never leave your map, frightened myself just 15mins in cos I left my pack to run back to the car quickly to get something I had forgot, I had a compass bearing to follow but got turned around easily and was without water, luckily my instincts were right and I managed to find the car.

As for the GPS requirement, just get a $100 android tablet, I have a Lenovo one, and use avenza maps it's free and you load the forestry maps in, this plus a printed map allows you find where you are so you can get and follow a compass bearing on your printed maps. I never used my dedicated GPS, Magellan 310, but it is a good backup as it takes AA batteries.

The avenza app while 4x4 through the park was invaluable in getting to the hunting locations and finding everything easily. You can screenshot the locations of places of interest too. She's a bit dry out there at the moment but I'm keen to get back out there after it cools off and the area has had a good dowsing of rain.

Yep I have a thousand questions lol.Water is probably one of the most important. I have a tablet with the avenza maps. So can you park close by, like where you camp and just do day runs and have a base so to speak? I'm a n00b to this for sure, @ 47 :crazy: In all honesty I have NFI what to expect nor what gear I really need.... Hard to get properties, so this is a great way to still hunt and have some fun camping :thumbsup:

Find a good spot to camp first, near where you want to hunt that evening and next morning, out of sight, reasonably clear, phone reception and access to main road if possible. Hunt until dark. Hunt next morning. Drive around when it's hot looking for your next area. Sometimes if an area is epicly good, the morning hunt extends into mid afternoon. It's rare that I've camped twice in the same spot consecutively.

Yep I just need to get out there. Buy a day pack and maybe setup a base camp like you said. Hanging to get out there that's for sure.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 08 Feb 2017, 9:02 pm

Yep been hanging out for a trip down to the forests for a while but its been too bloody hot just hanging out for a break in the heat , hopefully in the next week or two
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 14 Feb 2017, 7:57 pm

albat wrote:Yep been hanging out for a trip down to the forests for a while but its been too bloody hot just hanging out for a break in the heat , hopefully in the next week or two

I hear you there, the heat is crazy! The State forests were all out of bounds last weekend due to the heat and bushfires.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 14 Feb 2017, 8:23 pm

Sam45 wrote:
albat wrote:Yep been hanging out for a trip down to the forests for a while but its been too bloody hot just hanging out for a break in the heat , hopefully in the next week or two

I hear you there, the heat is crazy! The State forests were all out of bounds last weekend due to the heat and bushfires.

Yes sam45 i got an email from the dpi on friday morning about the closures good call on their behalf they are a really good with correspondence all the times i have delt with them , looking for a cooler weekend to get out soon , did you get your r licence sam45 ?
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 17 Feb 2017, 2:00 pm

albat wrote:
Sam45 wrote:

Yes sam45 i got an email from the dpi on friday morning about the closures good call on their behalf they are a really good with correspondence all the times i have delt with them , looking for a cooler weekend to get out soon , did you get your r licence sam45 ?

Yep I received the email too in regards to the forests being closed. Yep sure have mate. Received it about 8 days ago :)
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by anacrolix » 21 May 2018, 2:22 pm

Just a heads up that I've updated the maps and data for https://nsw-hunting.anacrolix.link/. The maps are second quarter 2018, and the species frequency is up to the end of 2017. I've added whether forests allow night-time pig hunting, and fixed incorrect species frequency for some forests sharing maps (like Maragle North/South). There are several new forests:

Avon
Boorabee
Lowes Mount
Nungatta
Sandgate
Tallegar

Some others may have also been added where their maps were missing or the data wasn't being processed correctly. Please report any errors you notice, missing or incorrect maps or species data. Recommendations for where else I might post the link is appreciated, or feel free to do it on my behalf. My email is anacrolix@gmail.com. Cheers! :ugeek:
anacrolix
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 21 May 2018, 7:03 pm

Best map ever. Was looking at it only last week when thinking about buying a new place. Nice work.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cuee » 07 Jun 2018, 8:11 pm

Does anyone else have trouble viewing the map by Anacrolix on an iPhone. It works great on my iPad but on the phone it is a tiny map and huge adds. I don’t think this happened with his old version. Any ideas ? Cheers
cuee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by DeadPool » 15 Sep 2018, 6:45 am

Hey mate, just stumbled upon this. Nice work. Where is the per species harvest data gathered from? Are you scraping that from DPI?
DeadPool
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by anacrolix » 17 Feb 2019, 3:45 pm

@DeadPool: Yeah all data is scraped from DPI info. @cuee I'm not sure, I don't have an iPhone, can you send me a screenshot? The site is already a really quick hackjob, I've not put much effort into it.
anacrolix
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey