Goats in VIC State Forests

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Goats in VIC State Forests

Post by shapeshifter » 07 Jan 2017, 6:14 am

Makes sense Gwion... Now I don't know who would get bitten... Might have to bring two mates to lead the way...

Oh wait.... just counted my mates... umm... anyone here wanna come out on a hunt soon :P
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

I was born with nothing and at 45, I still have most of it left!
shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 07 Jan 2017, 6:31 am

Haha... :D

Just keep an eye out, move slow, you'll be fine.

Look around on and beside the path.
Take a few steps.
Stop and scan for game.
Repeat.

I nearly took a leak on a tiger snake on Xmas day. Was just about to let it go and notice the snake's tail was in the line of fire. I readjusted my aim and relieved myself while keeping a ver close eye on the snake. It was facing away from me with just its tail out of the ground cover. It was trailing downhill into a culvert. Just as I finished and was zipping up, it shot forward about 6" and I saw it coiling up around what ever little critter was its latest victim.
I warned everyone else that the snake was around and locked the dogs inside. It was about 20m from our backdoor.

Really. You have little to worry about. Just take care and be prepared in case the worst happens.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 07 Jan 2017, 6:37 am

darwindingo wrote:
ALSO, damn I feel like eating some goat now...... :x :)

Jeff

Got a couple ready to put in the freezer if you wanna come help process them! :lol: :drinks:

Also sighted the first deer on my property on NYE. A Doe and its faun! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jan 2017, 8:07 am

I can honestly say I have shot a few in wombat. But must be 25 yrs now. They r still there but in the no go areas.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Jan 2017, 12:44 pm

Gwion wrote:Haha... :D

Just keep an eye out, move slow, you'll be fine.

Look around on and beside the path.
Take a few steps.
Stop and scan for game.
Repeat.

Really. You have little to worry about. Just take care and be prepared in case the worst happens.

Gwion,,,,,,, He's now either gonna have nightmares,,, or won't go hunting till the frosts set in for winter.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by shapeshifter » 07 Jan 2017, 3:38 pm

I will get out there on before that... my itch to walk in in the midst of the bush and try to spot game is to strong not to scratch...whether I am still alive when the frost sets in winter is another thing :o

Like Gwion said, be prepared. Have my boots, compression bandages, investing in PLB, ambulance subscription is in date, one mate already hooked up to come out with me... now just need the good cool weather to time in with a free day ;)
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 07 Jan 2017, 5:41 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 21 Feb 2017, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Jan 2017, 10:17 pm

I see tonite on the net, the report of the bloke and his disadvantaged son that were both bitten by a tiger snake in their house.
The son was bitten twice on the foot, and the father was bitten once on the calf muscle.
I think it was on the outskirts of Melbourne.
Luckily all bites proved to be "dry bites"

Watch out SS,,,,, they are a comin for yer,,,,,,, :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 07 Jan 2017, 11:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take the missus with ya, no one left to tell you when you can go hunting then... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by shapeshifter » 08 Jan 2017, 12:49 am

:lol: thats insane... wow... anyone wanna buy my guns... gotta find a new interest.... scared the bejeezus out of me :lol:
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Jan 2017, 10:30 am

Darwin Dingoe,,,,,,,,,,,

Absolute GOLD mate,,,,,,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 08 Jan 2017, 11:36 pm

shapeshifter wrote::lol: thats insane... wow... anyone wanna buy my guns... gotta find a new interest.... scared the bejeezus out of me :lol:

Hey, look just to keep you safe N all :D I'll take em of ya hands for free ( You can "owe me one" for saving ya the hassle of selling them and stuff ) I'll help ya out just cause I'm a nice Dingo :lol: :P

Hey Gwion, good news about the deer on your place :thumbsup: should put out some feed to help the numbers grow :thumbsup: ..

Ps.. I'm tempted to come help process the Goats and try a few hundred L of ya brew... :D May as well kill two birds with one stone.. :drinks: :drinks: :D

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by shapeshifter » 10 Feb 2017, 6:54 pm

Had a day off work today with nothing to do, so thought I would get of my back side and drive through a couple of state forests Happy Hunter recommended... Just to check out the track conditions, terrain, and type of vegetation. Just my luck I have a day off work when its leaning on the heavy side of 30 degrees

I went to Rushworth SF in the morning and Strathbogie SF in the afternoon.... they are two very different types of environments!

Rushworth is fairly flat and easy enough to get around. Got out for a walk and saw some roo's by no signs of goats. No pellets or stripped shrubbery. Checked around a waterhole.... just roo prints :?

If I was a goat I would live in the Strathbogie SF... but as a hunter it would be tough going... chest height bracken and shrubs everywhere in the areas I drove around.

I am going to give both these places a good ol' scout when it cools down a bit.... and see if i can't find some signs of goat life.

OH! Good news... no snakes... maybe next time :silent: :silent: :silent:
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Aug 2017, 3:56 pm

shapeshifter wrote:Had a day off work today with nothing to do, so thought I would get of my back side and drive through a couple of state forests Happy Hunter recommended... Just to check out the track conditions, terrain, and type of vegetation. Just my luck I have a day off work when its leaning on the heavy side of 30 degrees

I went to Rushworth SF in the morning and Strathbogie SF in the afternoon.... they are two very different types of environments!

Rushworth is fairly flat and easy enough to get around. Got out for a walk and saw some roo's by no signs of goats. No pellets or stripped shrubbery. Checked around a waterhole.... just roo prints :?

If I was a goat I would live in the Strathbogie SF... but as a hunter it would be tough going... chest height bracken and shrubs everywhere in the areas I drove around.

I am going to give both these places a good ol' scout when it cools down a bit.... and see if i can't find some signs of goat life.

OH! Good news... no snakes... maybe next time :silent: :silent: :silent:

An old thread. But just wondering how you got on there Shapeshifter?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 09 Sep 2017, 3:45 pm

Around Tallarook a good herd around there.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 10 Sep 2017, 11:54 pm

Just saw a mob of about 10 today all white, seen mostly black ones there before, tried to get the dogs to chase them but it was the first time out after an hour and a half drive and they just wanted to run around, no gun to use at the time ( not sighted in)
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by shapeshifter » 23 Sep 2017, 7:12 pm

I have been out a few times with the 30.06 I picked up at the shot show. I figured if I can scout both deer and goats at the same time.

I have been out around Woods Point a couple of times... sheesh its steep country! I saw fresh sign of deer but no animals.

Just came back from around Carey State Forest. Just sae birds and aged deer scat.

Oh well, i will have to keep on trying to bag my first Victorian deer or goat
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by shapeshifter » 23 Sep 2017, 7:16 pm

@Hugh @rsj223

I would really appreciate it if you guys could pm me some coordinates of the area where you guys saw the goats.

Iwould love to go and have a look for them!
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by shapeshifter » 24 Sep 2017, 1:45 pm

rsj223 wrote:Just saw a mob of about 10 today all white, seen mostly black ones there before, tried to get the dogs to chase them but it was the first time out after an hour and a half drive and they just wanted to run around, no gun to use at the time ( not sighted in)

I couldnt resist. I drove out today. In fact I am here now having a bite to eat before I move on to another gully.

Where did you se them rsj223. South of Freemans Camp?
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 02 Oct 2017, 12:08 am

Well here go's, it was north of alien camp dam
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by DPKY 06 » 21 Oct 2019, 11:46 pm

Hi, Please can someone tell me where to hunt for goats in Melbourne area? Am new to this forum.
I am also new in Victoria just relocated from NSW about 3 years ago. Hope someone could help with my question.
Dpky06.
DPKY 06
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control