Late Notice Invite for Hunt.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Late Notice Invite for Hunt.

Post by brett1868 » 31 Dec 2016, 4:25 pm

Gents,
I'll be heading north either late tomorrow night or early Monday morning, returning Saturday 7/1 to do some work on my block and hunt Pilliga East & Bibblewindi State Forests. If anyone is keen tag along then book those 2 places on the DPI site from 1/1 till 7/1 and get in touch. All you'll need is a swag, riffle, ammo and put in for food the rest I'll supply in return for a little labour :) I anticipate hunting in the afternoon / evening and getting some work done during the mornings while the temps are low. I'll be based about 30km SSW from Narrabri in Jacks Creek. I had an offsider lined up but something came up and unfortunately he can no longer make it.

Regards
Brett
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Late Notice Invite for Hunt.

Post by Supaduke » 31 Dec 2016, 4:31 pm

I'm miles away and can't come, but that is certainly a generous offer Brett.
Unless of course that 'little bit of labour' means "Alright lads , just need to do 14km of fencing and we can go hunting" :)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by albat » 31 Dec 2016, 11:53 pm

Ah brett would love to get there you said new year in an earler post didnt think it would be this soon!! im back at work tuesday so unless i can get some more days off i cant get there what type of work needs doing mate as im a sparky and my young bloke is a chippy?
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bosbefok » 01 Jan 2017, 6:44 am

Wish I could Brett, I am very busy with work atm. Dog boarding means holidays are my busiest time.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 01 Jan 2017, 10:01 am

If I was a bit closer (google maps says its a 12 hr drive) and I had time available I reckon I probably take you up on the offer Brett. Would love to hunt some pigs in NSW, would be more than happy to provide some labour in return.

The Mrs would probably also pose a challenge... From her perspective - going on a shooting trip with blokes never met before on a block a long way from home = some tough convincing :lol:
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 01 Jan 2017, 12:28 pm

Darn; only doung my r license this Saturday!
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 01 Jan 2017, 5:09 pm

YoungBuck wrote:If I was a bit closer (google maps says its a 12 hr drive) and I had time available I reckon I probably take you up on the offer Brett. Would love to hunt some pigs in NSW, would be more than happy to provide some labour in return.

The Mrs would probably also pose a challenge... From her perspective - going on a shooting trip with blokes never met before on a block a long way from home = some tough convincing :lol:

:lol: at least you known they got no prior if they got a permit so tell your missus to relax, permit unfortunately doesnt have a F___wit section though :lol:
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 01 Jan 2017, 9:53 pm

albat wrote:Ah brett would love to get there you said new year in an earler post didnt think it would be this soon!! im back at work tuesday so unless i can get some more days off i cant get there what type of work needs doing mate as im a sparky and my young bloke is a chippy?

You and your young bloke are my new best mates :) This trip is more to get the footings in for the 40' Reefer so I can get it craned into place around Australia day so no need for your particular skills as yet but might get in touch in the future as I'll be building a deck. My cousin's pretty handy on the building front but he's a farmer pushing 60 so no good for any heavy work. I'm leaving around 5:30 in the morning so a Happy New Year to all and many thanks for the offer of help :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 03 Jan 2017, 3:19 pm

Bugger, I was in NSW and not too far off for the holidays. Wasn't online though to read this.

Busting out the big guns? :mrgreen:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 03 Jan 2017, 11:01 pm

Lorgar wrote:Bugger, I was in NSW and not too far off for the holidays. Wasn't online though to read this.

Busting out the big guns? :mrgreen:

Yep....put a few through the DTA this morning to reset zero after swapping from .375 Cheytac to 50BMG, then gave one of the neighbors a couple rounds to fire. He'll probably still be smiling when I head home on the weekend and I picked up another couple of properties to shoot on :) Got some work done on the block yesterday and smashed bunnies last night out the cousins with the .243. Spoke to the container guy today and working on organising a crane so I can get the reefer lifted onto the footings I haven't built yet, then smashed more bunnies tonight with the .243 (I'm loving this round, even if the bunnies don't). Tomorrow I'll be talking to 2 places about buying some precast concrete blocks cause I tried digging and made it 3" before hitting extremely hard ground. Providing I can get a 6t truck with a hi-ab to drop 4 blocks off by Friday morning the reefer should be in place by the weekend. The blocks are 2'x2'x3' and around a tonne each so they'll make perfect footings and faster then me digging / pouring concrete. I'll probably leave it that way till May / June when the weather cools a bit before I start on the deck and internal fit out. Hopefully I'll get out in the Pilliga proper on Thursday or Saturday, photos to be posted when I do :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Jan 2017, 8:50 pm

Gee Brett, I drove straight past on 23rd/24th Dec.
Wasn't checking things online myself either, so I'll join the line of everybody else that missed.
Cheers Mate.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Medic » 05 Jan 2017, 8:52 pm

I'd be in for this but sadly work has got me by the nurries
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 07 Jan 2017, 9:39 pm

Spent 4hrs last night busting bunnies then drove home, arrived 06:00 and after a snooze I've pretty well packed everything away as though I'd never left. Was a very quick 5 days away but I'm very happy with the progress made.

Managed to get a lot of work done on the block mainly because I didn't go hunting out in the Pilliga scrub.

4 x precast concrete blocks for the corners to keep it off the ground, aid cooling and prevent rusting. 3'x3'x2' @ 1000kg each were surprisingly cheap at $50 and the crane brought them out with him so I saved on delivery. Was 35c outside but a comfortable 25c inside.
IMG_2914.JPG
40' Reefer finally on site.
IMG_2914.JPG (239.95 KiB) Viewed 5540 times

Internal usable space of 38' x 7'6" - Enough for some bunk beds, Bathroom, Kitchen and living room. I'll model the fit out similar to a big caravan but done on a shoe string budget.
IMG_2910.JPG
Inside
IMG_2910.JPG (66.78 KiB) Viewed 5540 times

Took 4 rifles for busting bunnies and each rifle made at least 1 kill though the bulk was done with the Sako .243

L-R - Desert Tech HTI 50BMG, Desert Tech HTI .416 Barrett, Sako 85 .243 & Sako 85 .204
As an FYI the HTI's are fitted with identical S&B PMII 12-50x56 and both Sako's have a VX2 Leupold 4-12x50 - I like consistency across firearms.
IMG_2900.JPG
Bunny Busters
IMG_2900.JPG (197.28 KiB) Viewed 5540 times

Heading up again Australia Day Long weekend to get some flooring done and hopefully drop off the doors & windows so the cousin can get that work started. After that I'll focus on the 16'x40' deck, stairs and later this year the roof so I can start collecting some rain water. The cost to this point is just under $7k which isn't too bad but I expect the final cost to reach the mid 20's.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Jan 2017, 9:59 pm

Good pics Brett.
A possibility that you might not have thought of, but still could be done if you like the idea,,,,

A bloke that I'm doing a job for shortly has just located (2) 40 footers parallel to each other, and 40 foot apart.
He intends on putting trusses across both containers and therefore creating roofs over both, plus ending up with a massive undercover area between them.
Not sure what he intends on doing in between,,,, could be massive carport/shed, or build rooms.
Whatever,, he has good rainwater catchment from it at the very least, and so simple.
Cheers Mate,
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 07 Jan 2017, 10:40 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Good pics Brett.
A possibility that you might not have thought of, but still could be done if you like the idea,,,,

A bloke that I'm doing a job for shortly has just located (2) 40 footers parallel to each other, and 40 foot apart.
He intends on putting trusses across both containers and therefore creating roofs over both, plus ending up with a massive undercover area between them.
Not sure what he intends on doing in between,,,, could be massive carport/shed, or build rooms.
Whatever,, he has good rainwater catchment from it at the very least, and so simple.
Cheers Mate,

I had similar idea to use 2 containers and a roof between them same as the job you're doing. I don't need so much space and I'll be enclosing the deck with shade cloth / flyscreen so there'll be plenty of space for my needs. I've got another 20 footer coming for the back corner so I can store a slasher and shoot from the roof. It's little by little at the moment, I'll be scrounging around all the building material places for doors, windows and anything else that looks handy. The neighbor that came over and shot the 50 has a sawmill so I'll be getting the decking timber cut by him at mates rates which is a big help. Easter will be the next big work effort and hopefully some proper hunting in the Pilliga :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 08 Jan 2017, 9:19 am

Looking good, Brett. There are mobs that do prefab roofing specifically for containers. In Tas they are called 'port-a-roof'. Don't know if same in NSW but worth looking into. Was pretty affordable from the brief chat I had with them.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 08 Jan 2017, 9:23 am

By the way..... there are cheaper ways to bust bunnies, you know!!?!! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wylie27 » 08 Jan 2017, 9:27 am

not as fun though... converting Rabbits to pink mist....
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 08 Jan 2017, 9:30 am

Great spot for the Container there Brett. When its done its gonna look shmick. How was the access for the crane? bet he had no issues like i did the first time LOL.
Cant believe the difference it was this time. like driving on concrete.
Spewing about my poor dogs, couldnt handle the heat there, would have loved to catch up.

Gwion wrote:By the way..... there are cheaper ways to bust bunnies, you know!!?!! :lol:

Wylie27 wrote:not as fun though... converting Rabbits to pink mist....

Lol, no mess to clean up either :thumbsup:
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 08 Jan 2017, 9:30 am

Nice accomodation brett looks way more inviting than the dunga in the background reckon it would be rocking 40c in there!! Was hoping for a piliga report from ya though , but you certainly got to get your priorities in order , lets try to tee up a trip there with some forum blokes soon hey
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 09 Jan 2017, 11:29 am

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 09 Jan 2017, 9:18 pm

Mongrel wrote:Great spot for the Container there Brett. When its done its gonna look shmick. How was the access for the crane? bet he had no issues like i did the first time LOL.
Cant believe the difference it was this time. like driving on concrete.
Spewing about my poor dogs, couldnt handle the heat there, would have loved to catch up.

Gwion wrote:By the way..... there are cheaper ways to bust bunnies, you know!!?!! :lol:

Wylie27 wrote:not as fun though... converting Rabbits to pink mist....

Lol, no mess to clean up either :thumbsup:

You missed out getting a job on the shovel by a few days mate, I chose that spot cause it's East-West so gets the maximum amount of sunshine for the solar array. The container came in on a prime mover and the crane was a 12t flatbed with the mother of all Hi-Abs on it. Prime mover had a little trouble with traction turning off the main road onto the cross track but managed to get through. Took only 4 hours to collect the blocks, drive out, place the blocks / container and get back into town. Paid $440 inc for the crane truck which is dirt cheap for the time & effort required, I got his number and will get him to bring the 20 footer out later. The ruts are still in the track from your first visit, surprising how different the ground is with a bit of rain cause it's sloppy in the wet and like concrete when dry.
The Bunnies are not quite the rabbit variety but a 798gr Copper hollow point tends to do a good job of disassembling them :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 09 Jan 2017, 9:27 pm

albat wrote:Nice accomodation brett looks way more inviting than the dunga in the background reckon it would be rocking 40c in there!! Was hoping for a piliga report from ya though , but you certainly got to get your priorities in order , lets try to tee up a trip there with some forum blokes soon hey

Maybe Easter if you're keen, I think PeteMac is up for a hunt then as well. I'll see if he's back at work and work on a plan to score leave passes from our respective better halves. Hopefully flooring, windows and doors might be done by then and a start made on the deck. Need to get that much done before I can sort out the roof, solar, water and dunny.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 09 Jan 2017, 9:28 pm

pomemax wrote:http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0006-3013126/hire-plant-trans-bldgs-and-containers/strong-2016-unused-20ft-container-shelter-strong?spr=true
you looked at these brett1868

Interesting but by the time transport is factored in its not economically viable compared to building a roof myself.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Jan 2017, 10:14 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Maybe Easter if you're keen, I think PeteMac is up for a hunt then as well. I'll see if he's back at work and work on a plan to score leave passes from our respective better halves.

I've got a sticker on my ute that may inspire you blokes,,,,,, "Ditch the bitch,, and lets go huntin"

:lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey