Bowhunting laws?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Bowhunting laws?

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2017, 11:42 am

I went into Frankston last week and noticed paddocks alive with rabbits.
It'd be difficult to organise shooting them as they seem to stay within the "100m of a road" firearm exclusion zone :-)
But I wondered about bowhunting them.
I haven't been able to find anything other than the "discharging into a public place" stuff which would require keeping your arrows out of the road reserve.
Anybody know of any other reason they couldn't be controlled with bows?
Anybody aware of an instance where commissioner's approval has been granted to allow shooting pest animals in close proximity to roads?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Bowhunting laws?

Post by bigpete » 25 Jan 2017, 6:39 pm

I would think as long as you had the land owners permission you should be alright.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RealNick » 17 Feb 2017, 10:44 am

Unless I'm mistaken I think a bow is basically treated like a firearm as far as hunting goes. Just without the license to buy one or storage requirements.

As far as use goes it's the same though.

Need a game permit for game, nothing for pests.

Can hunt in state forests, not in national parks. Can hunt on private property.

Distance to the road though, I'm picturing telephone calls about the "madman with a bow" on the side of the road if you're closer.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Feb 2017, 8:34 pm

RealNick wrote:Unless I'm mistaken I think a bow is basically treated like a firearm as far as hunting goes. Just without the license to buy one or storage requirements.

As far as use goes it's the same though.

Need a game permit for game, nothing for pests.

Can hunt in state forests, not in national parks. Can hunt on private property.

Distance to the road though, I'm picturing telephone calls about the "madman with a bow" on the side of the road if you're closer.

Yeah, you can use a bow to hunt pests and game. Just check out this year's GMA hunting booklet.

Hunting close to a road though would be a game of Russian roulette. I would suggest 400 meters but it's just a wild guess.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 18 Feb 2017, 10:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:I went into Frankston last week and noticed paddocks alive with rabbits.
It'd be difficult to organise shooting them as they seem to stay within the "100m of a road" firearm exclusion zone :-)
I haven't been able to find anything other than the "discharging into a public place" stuff which would require keeping your arrows out of the road reserve.
Anybody aware of an instance where commissioner's approval has been granted to allow shooting pest animals in close proximity to roads?

so when was this brought in , do you have a link to the regs
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2017, 10:31 pm

deye243 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I went into Frankston last week and noticed paddocks alive with rabbits.

so when was this brought in , do you have a link to the regs

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_reg/fr2008211/s22.html
Technically, I think it's specific related to target shooting rather than hunting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 18 Feb 2017, 10:39 pm

yes I would think it was a lot safer to have your back to the boundary fence and shooting towards

the inner part of the property rather than the other way around when all is well around here we are

out 3 to 4 nights a week and the 1st to do is drive right down the boundary fence so you push what

ever you are shooting for away from that direction and have at it .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 19 Feb 2017, 1:01 am

not interested in trapping or ferreting
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 19 Feb 2017, 1:05 am

duncan61 wrote:not interested in trapping or ferreting

narh I like loud pizza ;)

that and trapping rabbits is a sick bird here in vic
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 19 Feb 2017, 1:15 am

can you hide and tap them with subsonics.great way to spend an afternoon
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 19 Feb 2017, 1:32 am

duncan61 wrote:can you hide and tap them with subsonics.great way to spend an afternoon

I tend to shoot more of what your avatar is than rabbits as there are not many around here :( so I use a 223 a lot

but I used to love my 243 and 65g vmax at 3800fps it was poison out to 600 yards .

and yes I must admit I love the 22 and subs especially with the varmint hunters rec , I think I'm up to 35 odd rabbits

since I got my LA101 which I'm sad to say is not bad going around here since the dropped the calicivirus bomb :evil:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey