Which calibre for hunting wild dogs?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Which calibre for hunting wild dogs?

Post by PoorShot300 » 20 May 2017, 7:59 pm

grandadbushy wrote:PoorShot300

thanks for that info on 1-8 twist
I checked the tag i have from the gunsmith and it confirms 1-8 twist
The original cal of the rifle was 30-06 the person who had it before me rebarreled it to 22-250 then after i bough it
found out the barrel was shot out so i rebarreled it to Ackley 22-250 with 26" s/s barrel and have had all sorts of
trouble trying to stablise bullets over 69gr

Thanks again

No worries,....sounds like there's more than just ammo at play in your circumstance. (Tags have been wrong before, perhaps you could check with the cleaning rod trick to confirm for yourself?)

Other's more knowledgeable may offer suggestions, i only offer what i have been able to come across in my research of the .223 for my next platform.

If the barrel you bought is of a reasonable maker, i wouldn't give up on it just yet... explore ballistics and the effects of outside forces (you may need a bedding job for eg...)

I might add,...from my readings, it does narrow the market down for projectiles the heavier you get...it just may be the brand/type your shooting that isn't right for your rifle..

Good Luck

0.02c
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 May 2017, 8:23 pm

Poorshot300

Mate its funny you should say that i was only fiddling with the cleaning rod a few hours ago so i decided to get the rifle out and check because
a bloke had told me he had a 1-7 which eventually after many months of heart ache found it to be 1-14 (22-250 also)
And guess what same gunsmith same problem turns out mine is 1-12 not 1-8 unfortunatly nothing can be done for he is no longer with us
The rifle was glass bedded after rebarreling
I'l still have it checked properly by our now gunsmith
It just goes to show that a little extra chit chat on this forum can be well worth it in the long run for some people

Thanks very much
Member-Deleted

Post by PoorShot300 » 20 May 2017, 9:43 pm

Happy days, i saved another rifle from getting bad press...lol.

Good to hear you sorted it, now you can focus on finding it's correct load for best fun for $$$...

or if serious to run 80gn'ers your up for a rebarrel...

I only came across the wrong tag thing on the Howa forum iirc....it was when they changed from 1:12 to 1:9 for heavier pills in the Varmint range...some thought they had the new twist and for the life of them could not get the heavies to fly...it came back to wrongly tagged rifles..
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 May 2017, 10:54 pm

Poorshot300

yeah mate happy days but it still remains why it sprayed the lighter bullets hopefully it was a bad batch,none left anyway
But i thought 1-12 would be too much to stabilise 69gr but she loves them,normally 1-12 will do all the lighter bullets

Now i think the problem could be solved i will stick with what she eats and leave well alone
Still to say its pretty poor when you pay $ 660 a few years ago for a 1-8 and end up with a 1-12 although its half my fault
for not checking it then and not putting all my trust in the gunsmith

Anyway cheers and thanks again
Member-Deleted

Post by PoorShot300 » 21 May 2017, 12:28 am

I hear that...in the end now tho, all you can hope for is it hits what your aiming at...
More is always better, so now you have your next project laid out for you...;)
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 May 2017, 12:41 am

PoorShot300

Yep but it will have to wait just had 2 new hinges put in where my knees used to be both done same operation
And i will attack the project with both eyes open this time

cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 May 2017, 12:09 pm

Hi sungazer

Yeah mate i could understsnd that, all sorts of problems could occur from how and where you obtained the barrel
Mine was ordered by the gunsmith , he notified me when it had arrived then the rifle was taken to him barrel fitted and bedded

One would have thought it would be done properly for the price they charge
Anyway i still have a rifle it shoots straight with 60-69gr bullets not what i was after but its my spare 22-250 now, in case my
other one breaks down

cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by animalpest » 21 Jun 2017, 2:32 am

25/06 then .243 then 22/250 then .223. And a few with the .308
I shot 130 dogs in 20 days with all the above. 75gn V-Max out of the 25/06 was the best by far. In the .243 the 87gn was fair. The .308 and 125gn hollow points was awesome for shorter ranges (<200m) no matter where they were hit they where just in bits. Used the 55gn Sierra BTSP as this is my bulk purchase bullet for everything starting with .22 and they have never let me down. Go for the plastic tips if you like and pay more than twice as much.

The 25/06 flattened them all without a yelp out to 400+m over a spotlight. Nothing else came even close.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chris » 21 Jun 2017, 8:04 pm

Yes Mate I totally agree with you , I use a 6x24 B&L scope ,Out to 400 yards
or more with the HB 25/06 rig .
Chris
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lumbajak » 15 Jan 2018, 4:05 pm

any if you fellas tried the vmax on the dogs? Namely the 53vmax from a 22 250. Or they no good on a heavy dog?
I’ve used the 50vmax on foxes out to about 200 from my Annie and it was bang flop.

Thanks fellas.
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Jan 2018, 9:16 pm

G'day Lumbajack yeah mate I only use vmax mainly 55 gr not 53 gr but I don't see why the
53gr shouldn't work
I said some where on this forum that I used amax but when I looked later they were actually vmax I was using
I have always used vmax 55gr on dogs in the 22-250 very lethal when you do your part

cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Lumbajak » 16 Jan 2018, 9:51 pm

Awesome mate thanks for that bushy, got some land out near leyburn to try and burn up some dogs so getting set up. Have you found the vmax at 250 velocities effective at 300-400 on solid dogs or need to bump up a caliber? Appreciate your wisdom fellas.
Cheers.
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jan 2018, 10:47 pm

Yeah Lumbajack I have knocked them down I think my best shot was about 420yds but that was a pushed shot
most of my shooting I try and get within at least 300yds or as close as you can without spooking the dog
If you are going to be shooting out to 300-400 you'll want to keep a check on the wind as they are pretty light projectiles at 55gr
I mostly used 25-06 for long shots where I could it was a bit more of a good thing :thumbsup:
I always try and keep in mind the ethical side of shooting I don't like wounding animals which is possible at those distances
with light bullets but you'll sort it out mate :thumbsup:
cheers :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Lumbajak » 17 Jan 2018, 8:51 am

That’s for sure, I consider 300-400 my max shot on a live animal on a calm day. I’m more of a stalker so I try to get as close as I can. The fella I’m giving a hand has advised these dogs have been hunted hard and we will struggle to get within 200 ?!
He uses a 243 almost exclusively so I’ll be bringing the 6.5 just in case but have a hankering for a big 22cal and if I can get it done with the 250 I’ll be happy.
Thanks again fellas this is a top site
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gibbo » 17 Jan 2018, 2:28 pm

Just the thread I was after, thanks guys. I am currently trying to decide between an 8 twist 223 and 243 for foxes and wild dogs.
I was set on a 223 shooting heavier 77gr bullets but reading the comments here re wind and stopping power etc I may need to rethink.
The rifle I am getting is available in 223, 243 and 260 (and 308). I am just getting into deer hunting too but a seperate 308 down the track prob the way to go for that.
In all honesty what percentage of shots would you guys take on wild dogs that would suit a 243 over a 223? The foxes on the farm here I reckon I could do with a 243 maybe 2 or 3 out of 10 shots, mainly mature ones. The pups are a 22 or shotty job as they usually come in pretty close.
My mate who is taking me wild dog hunting has a 22-250 and a 30-06 so he's covered for dogs and deer.
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2018, 2:35 pm

See the fox I hit with the 3006 two days ago.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4843&start=486

If you don't mind skin damage perhaps a 308 with 130gr or 150gr bullets is the answer. OK for deer too.

I was surprised at the damage, expected it to pencil through.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gibbo » 17 Jan 2018, 2:52 pm

Gee wiz, no chance of him getting up. I have seen them shot with a 270 and it is pretty similar result.
It is unfortunate that the 260 is just a smidge under Sambar legal in VIC or I would go the 260 I reckon and just shoot everything with it. To be honest I have never looked at the 308 performance compared to varmint calibres at say 3 or 4 hundred yards.
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2018, 3:15 pm

G'day Gibbo, Mate my personal opinion which is only my opinion is a 22-250 shoots comfortably with authority out to 250-300yds
now this is where the 243 steps up to the plate you can go heavier with similar speeds further out
I found it hard to get a 243 at the time and bought a 22-250 and a 25-06 I have never been sorry for doing so with the 250 but
found the 25 -06 was more than enough for dogs way out but lacking for other things I bought it for also
I had the chance to upgrade the 25-06 to 7mm and done so
But as Oldbloke said 308 with 130-150gr sounds like it would be a one gun solution it covers a wide range of animals
When you really get down to it there are many calibers that will do the job on dogs but my likes are 22-250, 243, 25-06
these are the ones I have always used but mainly the 22- 250 all are fast with average barrel life but keep the loads down
and you should be ok
Each rifle has its preference in projectiles so I run with that

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gibbo » 17 Jan 2018, 3:44 pm

Thanks grandadbushy, when you say 7mm do you mean 7mm-08? As the rifle I am looking at comes in 7mm-08 as well by the looks of it, which looks to be right for deer as well. If so how do you find the 7mm?
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2018, 4:23 pm

Gibbo wrote:Thanks grandadbushy, when you say 7mm do you mean 7mm-08? As the rifle I am looking at comes in 7mm-08 as well by the looks of it, which looks to be right for deer as well. If so how do you find the 7mm?

That is a very capable round.
To compare a few just look up the adi load data. You can easily compare a few rounds.
Look at,.
7x57
7-08
308. 130gr
3006. 130gr
22-250
25-06
And a few others.
I did it just recently, I just picked Bullet weight I thought suitable and use the mid range speed.
Then on a ballistics site like Hornady has punch in the data and you have some great info to help decide.

But if 2 rifles is getting a bit out of reach for you get one that is deer legal and use 2 loads. Heavy for deer, small for dogs etc.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 17 Jan 2018, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Jan 2018, 5:21 pm

7mm-08 gets :thumbsup: from me.
100gr hollow points @ 3300 f/s for light weight varmints and pink mist rabbits. :D
168gr - 175gr spitzers @ 2500 f/s for your larger game.
With plenty of options in between for goats, dogs, pigs,etc.
Also a good round for target shooting if you ever want to get into that.
Downside is, 7mm projectiles are relatively expensive when compared to similar ones in different calibers. :thumbsdown:
Factory loadings are apparently expensive and limited, wouldn't know, I only "roll my own". ;)
Last edited by Gamerancher on 17 Jan 2018, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2018, 5:29 pm

No Gibbo it's a sako in 7mm rem mag I wanted it for bigger stuff but will use it for dogs as well when needed
I don't play around with loads in my rifles I find a projectile and load it likes and that's it
22-250 @ 55gr vmax Benchmark 2 powder ,rem 91/2 large primers and rem brass from new
7mm rem mag 162gr ELD MATCH cci 250 mag primers AR2217 powder but on saying that I am thinking of
moving to 162gr ELD-X if all goes well
My knowledge in other areas of loading for comp shooting is all but nil but I do know my way around my rifles and loading for them
There are lots of people on this forum with loads of knowledge in those areas more than happy to help when its needed

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2018, 5:34 pm

Gamerancher wrote:7mm-08 :thumbsup:
100gr hollow points @ 3300 f/s for light weight varmints and pink mist rabbits. :D
168gr - 175gr spitzers @ 2500 f/s for your larger game.

Way to go. Can do same with 308 or 3006
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2018, 5:35 pm

Yeah Gamerancher they are expensive I just paid $89 for a box of 100 ELD-X 162gr and found them hard to get up here
as well just got to wait for them to arrive by mail

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Jan 2018, 5:49 pm

In reply to Oldbloke,
Yes you can, but the 7mm-08 is known for having less felt recoil than .308 Win, ( in a comparable rifle ) and you need a long action ( which some folks seem to avoid ) for 30-06.
That said, I do have a liking for the '06 though, there's still 2 in the safe. :D

Grandadbushy,
Yeah, it is a bit of a bummer. The Sierra Matchkings I shoot silhouette with went from $48 / 100 up to $90.
Another reason why I just built a 6.5 Creedmoor. I already had 3000 6.5mm Lapua projies on the shelf and can get the ELD's for around $50.
Plus it is definitely easier on post surgery shoulders. ;)
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2018, 6:36 pm

Yes, the main down side of the long action is additional weight. But the extra 1/2 inch is in reality is SFA when using.

Has never worried me.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lumbajak » 17 Jan 2018, 7:49 pm

grandadbushy wrote:No Gibbo it's a sako in 7mm rem mag I wanted it for bigger stuff but will use it for dogs as well when needed
I don't play around with loads in my rifles I find a projectile and load it likes and that's it
22-250 @ 55gr vmax Benchmark 2 powder ,rem 91/2 large primers and rem brass from new
7mm rem mag 162gr ELD MATCH cci 250 mag primers AR2217 powder but on saying that I am thinking of
moving to 162gr ELD-X if all goes well
My knowledge in other areas of loading for comp shooting is all but nil but I do know my way around my rifles and loading for them
There are lots of people on this forum with loads of knowledge in those areas more than happy to help when its needed

Cheers

God damn I’d hate to see poor old mr fox after you hit him with a 7mm mag! That 3006 was bad enough :lol:
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gibbo » 17 Jan 2018, 9:03 pm

Thanks all. Would the lower recoil and ballistic performance of 7mm-08 be worth the while compared to 308? Might have to do some research I am intrigued now!
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2018, 9:43 pm

Check em both out like I said. You will find the only real gain will be over about 250meter by the 7-08 over the 308. But yes bullets cost could come into the decision, 30cal will be a lot cheaper.

Ask around but I believe the 110fr bullets in 308 lack in the accuracy stakes. 125s r ok
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Jan 2018, 8:56 pm

My 2 cents worth is still for the 243W., Tikka preferably, you'r got the 22mag for bunnies, foxes and cats. The 243w will handle the pigs, foxes and small/medium deer if they cross your path.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control