Which calibre for hunting wild dogs?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Which calibre for hunting wild dogs?

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Apr 2018, 12:04 am

Yes SCJ429 the 22-250 with 55gr vmax will do fine that's all I use and have done for years it knocks them down easily
If I haven't got the22- 250 I use the 7mm rem both do quiet well on dogs
And before the 7mm I had a 25-06 another capable dog gun
Member-Deleted

Post by tom604 » 29 Apr 2018, 5:59 am

223 if you head shoot the bunnys you can keep the back legs,maybe the backstraps :lol: he was a wild dog shooter, had a few dvd's out :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Apr 2018, 10:43 am

who did
Member-Deleted

Post by Conallin24 » 29 Apr 2018, 10:46 am

25-06, 7.62x39, 303-25, 30-30, any Gauge shotgun (12, 20, 28 or 410 normally) with #4 buckshot. There are so many choices.
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Apr 2018, 10:48 am

grandadbushy wrote:who did

Tom Varney sold dvds. I think his family still sells them on line.
Previews are available on utube
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Apr 2018, 10:54 am

Thanks Oldbloke I was wondering what Tom604 was on about
Never heard of Tom Varney will take a look and see
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Apr 2018, 11:19 am

Last edited by Oldbloke on 29 Apr 2018, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Apr 2018, 11:19 am

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Apr 2018, 4:15 pm

Yeah Oldbloke he seems to know a fair bit about hunting also a hard life as well
I could vision what he said about dog hunting as that's the way it is, no frills and long hours sitting for naught
then you have good days and knock a few over
That $ 25 a dog his mate said sounds ok but understand why they don't collect although $25 is better than nothing :)
I get absolutely nothing for my skins so I don't bother with them :thumbsdown:
The only thing that changes with wild dog hunting is the change in country and some people have their own little traits
that work :D

Thanks Oldbloke :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by tom604 » 29 Apr 2018, 7:49 pm

sorry should of put the quote in with my reply :oops:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by John » 09 Apr 2020, 2:20 pm

I really love my Brno fox 22K hornet with double set triggers it’s extremely effective on foxes and dogs out to the 150 mark very cheap to load leaves little skin damage not as sensitive to wind as a .17 all in all great gun if your chasing skins which is not really common now days but I still keep the better skins my self.
If you just want to kill them can’t go past a .243 very effective on longer ranges you will never look back in my opinion
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Apr 2020, 5:28 pm

No real life experience here. But from what I gather 22 Hornet is considered minimum. From there anything up to a 45-70. Lol Nothing wrong with being a little over gunned. Personally , if I get a crack at one it will be either 223 or 30-06. Because thats what I have.

When all this virus stuff has settled down I hope to get out.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 09 Apr 2020, 5:51 pm

Anything between 17hmr and .950jdm will do it.

Depends on the countryside and distances,

Plenty of yanks using 17wsm out to 400m on coyote, but then with wind and stubble/Spinifex etc ya probably better off with something at least 243 or higher.

If ya getting them in the clear often anything fast and light will be a laser beam on them for quick acquisition and execution, but if you're dealing with potential obstacles and so on maybe 243, 6mm, 25-06, 7mm08, 270, 6.5cm, 260, 257 rob, etc

If over larger distance with grassy obstacles maybe go 30cal. But again depends on skill and how much time ya have to line em up how slow/fast you go for, remembering that unless.youre seriously staunch in physique the magnum cartridges are harder to line up follow up shots.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 09 Apr 2020, 6:52 pm

I think I have shot 3 dogs with 223. One with 243 , and 3 with compound bow
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Apr 2020, 2:55 pm

As for the original question,,,,,,,,,,,
Without any doubt whatsoever,,, the BEST calibre to use on em is the one that you happen to have in the ute/tractor/or in hand
at the time you see one.

That being said, if your going out specifically after dogs,, my preference is 22/250
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Apr 2020, 4:04 pm

Yes, too true. The firearm in hand is the best by far...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Apr 2020, 5:35 pm

We seem to get tied up with having the ideal calibre for hunting game or pests. But given the narure of hunting is this sensible?

Perhaps the thread subject should have been.

"Whats the minimum calibre for hunting dogs"
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 10 Apr 2020, 5:37 pm

A common issue in WA as we have the most retarded means test for getting a gun licenced
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Apr 2020, 6:57 pm

ABC report on dingoes. Just out yesterday.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-09/ ... s/12132636
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 10 Apr 2020, 7:10 pm

Hear that clap trap plenty before OB, one station I went to not that long ago had 100s of donks, tonnes of other s**t and more dead cattle than alive, I will let you guess what they don't allow the shooting of there ........
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Apr 2020, 6:14 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 28 Apr 2020, 7:25 pm

I know a cattle grazier on the northern side of the fence that loves the fact that he has so many dingoes keeping the roo numbers in check. If 10 dogs turn up on your place , after a while you can shoot trap or poison 9 of them ... but if ten thousand Roos turn up for your fresh green pick thes nothing u can do about it but watch them eat it all
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 28 Apr 2020, 7:52 pm

We shouldn't forget that they are not talking about the pure bred dingo as they would like you to believe, as you would be hard pressed to find many left in the wild ,While these do-gooders stand around patting themselves on the back, and failing to explain the facts (1) the dingo-X far out numbers the pure dingo and the X will kill for the sake of killing after they've eaten ,(2) lets look at the ''explosion'' of roo's mentioned , years ago people ate roo ,it was a staple diet for those that couldn't afford or get meat thus reducing numbers, then in their own wisdom they protected the roo putting the roo shooters and leather producers out of business, then the roo meat industry began and was over before it developed into something worth while , the roo basically doesn't have a predator that can control the numbers because dogs will kill the easiest prey they can get and sheep and calves are those prey, roo are targeted by the dog when there are no other easy prey around as dogs are opportunists ,you can only shoot roo unless you are licenced( which today isn't worth while because of costs and returns) then there is the permit to shoot if in drought or it is deemed an over populated area then a permit can be applied for and even a limit is put on the amount of roo's you can cull , so lets not just blame the shooting of dogs for the explosion in roo numbers. I've trapped, shot and poisoned dogs since I was at primary school for the bounty then in later on I observed how damaging the dog was , they killed all the koalas around where I lived , stock, family pets, poultry you name it, it killed it , I also watched while growing up the change from the dingo to the more lethal X-breed and looking back on it as the change from pure to X-bred the killing took an up rise in numbers and the eating of the carcass didn't ''ie '' 1 out of 5 stock killed were eaten, all this stuff about the benefits of having the '' dingo'' has been looked into for years but what they have now is a more cunning and lethal animal in the Dingo-X they came to the conclusion that the cat and the dog were putting great pressure on the Quoll, ground birds, lizards, echidnas, and many more so I am at a loss to why they would keep costing the tax payer money when they just have to open their eyes and take notice , see how many farmers have been ruined by the dog, the kill rate per year ,It's very clear to most on the land ( where it matters ) that wild dogs are a threat to livestock, fauna, also domestic pets and poultry and last but not least humans. I've used whatever caliber I had at the time to shoot dogs with good success although I mainly use a 22-250 when targeting dogs but at times still what ever I have at the time in hand.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 02 May 2020, 11:12 pm

The .223 is fine for wild dogs but you will get the occasional failure regardless of bullet. The 22/250 is just better with more velocity and whack. The .243 is no doubt the best calibre for dogs - good range and plenty enough whack.

Sure, I use a 25/06 and can knock them flat at any range I can hit them. And it's not affected by the wind as much as the smaller calibres.

For foxes and the occasional dog, with cheaper shooting, my choice would be a .223.

It really depends on the ranges you want to kill them at.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control