Hunting properties Victoria

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting properties Victoria

Post by kurl » 28 Nov 2013, 8:34 am

Hi guys,

Newbie hunter/shooter here living in Victoria.

I know I can hunt in either the state forests or on private property with permission. Does anyone operate properties for outsider hunters to use though?

Googling for "Hunting properties Victoria" took me to a hunting properties website but they only had listings for NSW and QLD.

Is this not something that's done/allowed here in Victoria?

Thanks.
kurl
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Hunting properties Victoria

Post by Aster » 28 Nov 2013, 10:09 am

Organised shoots/camping do pop up from time to time.

A couple of guys on the forum here have done it a few times in fact, but it's typically on a bit of a limited basis.

As you can imagine, I'm sure most property owners aren't keen to have strangers shooting on their property who could do something foolish and cause them trouble...
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Lorgar » 28 Nov 2013, 3:47 pm

They do organised deer hunting on Sunday island in SE Vic.

That's the only place I know of that does it in a 'business' type setup where you can book and go.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Red Dog » 18 Jan 2014, 9:47 pm

Welcome to Victoria...
and there are many places to hunt , but for starters one needs to actively become a member of a local Hunting club or similar , SSAA , Field and Game Club, Deer Hunters Club etc. or attend the local rifle range and get involved even if only once a month. This will give you opportunities to meet new people with similar interests, opens doors for organised hunts, or culls, and properties that are open to hunters who will do the right thing etc, etc.

I came down from Qld over 20 years ago, and now have places where I hunt etc all over Vic. I took up the SSAA offer of a course for vermin control several years back and many doors from this have opened as well, and have found many new friends and landowners alike, and opportunities for the sport I love, hunting.

Where ever you live, and work, there will be someone who like you has a desire to or is already a hunter and will clue you up etc. Maybe even give you a phone number of someone who might be able to help.

Hope this might help... Cheers Red Dog.
Red Dog
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Marfit » 19 Jan 2014, 4:39 pm

yes on the ssaa website you can find a template of the letter you require. http://ssaavic.com.au/images/doc/permis ... teland.pdf
Last edited by Marfit on 19 Jan 2014, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marfit
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Hercl » 20 Jan 2014, 8:07 am

Red Dog wrote:...for starters one needs to actively become a member of a local Hunting club or similar...

There's definitely merit in that.

A wealth of knowledge to be had with the right people.

It's tough to find a spread of good spots completely by yourself.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by kurl » 20 Jan 2014, 3:00 pm

Marfit wrote:yes on the ssaa website you can find a template of the letter you require. http://ssaavic.com.au/images/doc/permis ... teland.pdf

Thanks mate, that's perfect.
kurl
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey