The release of RHDK5 and a few facts.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

The release of RHDK5 and a few facts.

Post by Elmer » 08 Feb 2017, 9:36 pm

Well guys its almost upon us, Autumn and the release of the new RHD K5 virus. According to the scriptures the release will be in the first week of Autumn which according to Rabbitscan there have been up to 1000 expressions of interest from property owners and 600 proposed release sites.
You can check out the areas buy going to the Rabbitscan website, lucky for me the release sites are not too close to where I shoot.
I have been keeping track of the developments of this new "Wonder virus" and according to the Leading scientist Dr Bugs Bunny (sorry guys I dont know his name) this virus will have a knock down rate of UP TO 40%.
So you can see it wont be as devastating on our beloved bunnies as the first calici in 95 which had what they called a naive population to wipe out.
But what gets me is our so called intellectual ones were warned against releasing this virus or any other calici strain into our environment by prominent Professors of virology from several European countries...sheesh whats wrong with our Government and its scientists? do they think THEY know better.
How many more viruses will our environment stand before something nasty and unexpected happens?, we already have 3 different strains of calici and of course good ol myxo already circulating.
At the moment RHDK2 has raised its ugly head in most if not all of our states, this one is particularly nasty as it will kill kits as young as 3 weeks old and recently has been discovered in several deceased Hares(which they said wasn't supposed to happen). BUT on a happier note , the scientists are pissed off because they say if an area has been hit with the K2 strain and there are still survivors hopping around well this could have a adverse affect on the potency of the new K5. :clap: :drinks:
So fingers crossed , lets hope this new strain is NOT going to be as effective as what the scientists are hoping for....oh by the way, they also said that the new virus will be more effective in wetter regions opposed to the older calici being more effective in dryer arid regions.
According to latest reports, the scientists are already working on more effective RHD for future release :thumbsdown:
In other words Gentlemen, enjoy your Bunny hunting while we still have them.
cheers,
Sean
Last edited by Elmer on 09 Feb 2017, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: The release on RHDK5 and a few facts.

Post by deye243 » 08 Feb 2017, 11:08 pm

I will say this if it is the same as the virus they released here last year 40% is bull s**t as it has been 75% at least.

on the average 3000h property here if you drive around it now you will be very lucky to see 10 rabbits a night .

there are now 4 x the roo numbers than rabbits .

funny thing is the previous virus's released here did bugger all but the last one has done amazing damage to the

rabbit population
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 08 Feb 2017, 11:46 pm

No mate its not the same, the one your talking about is the K2 which was discovered in Canberra around the beginning of 2015, K5 is yet to be released... the K2 is a French strain which yes does have an incredibly high knockdown rate...thats why the Scientists I think are pissed off about the K2 because if the bunnies survive K2 they will have a good chance of surviving K5. They chose K5 because unlike K2 which is known to kill Hares also the k5 will not (so they reckon )touch them. According to the Scientists K5 is only European Rabbit specific.
We shall wait and see though....I just wish they would not use these viruses, they are living organisms which will mutate to better suit there hosts and conditions.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 09 Feb 2017, 12:00 am

yeah I'm no fan of viral warfare and that explains why I have only seen one hear in 8 months
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Feb 2017, 8:12 am

Iv'e seen some prety funky lookin myxo rabbits lately in my district . Nasty and slow way to go. Atleast calici is much faster.

I lookrd into the rhdk5 program but was surprised at how difficult they made it to become a part of it. Whats wrong with just giving a property owner a vile of the new strain and letting the go and spread it ? They would have had a far greater uptake of the program.
Counting, estimations, record keeping ... its almost like joining some kind of club ... screw that just crop dust the country wit it and be done with it. Get Jetstar to add it to their chemtrails :crazy:

Personally as much as I love popping rabbits I'd love to see them confined only to our history books.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 09 Feb 2017, 8:47 am

Yes, the "so we've got something to shoot" way of thinking is why they were introduced in the first place.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Re: The release of RHDK5 and a few facts.

Post by gazza » 09 Feb 2017, 2:56 pm

Viruses must surely be risky and scientists have made a lot of mistakes in the past. I think carp are getting herpes soon and they are worse than rabbits but it still seems like something that could backfire one day. Might have to wear some rubber when I go carp shooting.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 09 Feb 2017, 4:37 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Iv'e seen some prety funky lookin myxo rabbits lately in my district . Nasty and slow way to go. Atleast calici is much faster.

I lookrd into the rhdk5 program but was surprised at how difficult they made it to become a part of it. Whats wrong with just giving a property owner a vile of the new strain and letting the go and spread it ? They would have had a far greater uptake of the program.
Counting, estimations, record keeping ... its almost like joining some kind of club ... screw that just crop dust the country wit it and be done with it. Get Jetstar to add it to their chemtrails :crazy:

Personally as much as I love popping rabbits I'd love to see them confined only to our history books.

Yup you can count on the Government to complicate things...I dont reckon the bunny problem is as bad as what they think, well not in my area anyway, sure there are areas where they have run rampant (Flinders ranges etc) but I seriously dont believe the whole of Oz deserves another and different viral bombing.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 09 Feb 2017, 4:42 pm

gazza wrote:Viruses must surely be risky and scientists have made a lot of mistakes in the past. I think carp are getting herpes soon and they are worse than rabbits but it still seems like something that could backfire one day. Might have to wear some rubber when I go carp shooting.

I agree mate, take the RHDK2 virus that started of in Canberra, that is one nasty bug, Scientists have no idea as to how it got there and the bloody thing has spread to all states.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 10 Feb 2017, 3:04 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Iv'e seen some prety funky lookin myxo rabbits lately in my district . Nasty and slow way to go. Atleast calici is much faster.

Totally with you.
Even though 'rabbiting' is seen as a traditional Australian thing to do, people seem to forget how bad the rabbit problem can get if left unaddressed.
They should be eradicated in the wild if at all possible. Just like foxes and cats, as well as pigs.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Cooper » 10 Feb 2017, 6:17 pm

Elmer wrote:
gazza wrote:Viruses must surely be risky and scientists have made a lot of mistakes in the past. I think carp are getting herpes soon and they are worse than rabbits but it still seems like something that could backfire one day. Might have to wear some rubber when I go carp shooting.

I agree mate, take the RHDK2 virus that started of in Canberra, that is one nasty bug, Scientists have no idea as to how it got there and the bloody thing has spread to all states.

It's rather scary that RHDK2 got here and and they have no idea how it got here. One would think it would have being better the keep the strains separate. To maximise the effectiveness of the virsuses. I guess they may never have got the approval to release the RHDK2 virsus? I would have they would have waited to see how the RHDK2 played and save the RHDK5 for a future release? But after hearing the RHDK5 maybe only 40% effective maybe they need both strains??
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 11 Feb 2017, 1:17 am

RHDK2 got there the same way RCD was first introduced to Australia after it escaped field trials at a quarantined area in SA during 1995
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Feb 2017, 8:43 pm

Carp, just don't mention CANE TOADS!! The greatest threat to native wildlife!!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 12 Feb 2017, 7:03 am

Gwion wrote:

Totally with you.
Even though 'rabbiting' is seen as a traditional Australian thing to do, people seem to forget how bad the rabbit problem can get if left unaddressed.
They should be eradicated in the wild if at all possible. Just like foxes and cats, as well as pigs.

Clearing land for farming is what created the perfect environment for ferals to breed and spread. Introduction wasn't the only contributing factor. Once you kill the ferals in an area the only way to stop them breeding up again is to reestablish the native landscape.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Feb 2017, 7:31 am

happyhunter wrote:Clearing land for farming is what created the perfect environment for ferals to breed and spread. Introduction wasn't the only contributing factor. Once you kill the ferals in an area the only way to stop them breeding up again is to reestablish the native landscape.

That's not exactly true.

Land clearing has had a negligible affect on rabbit population. Yes they love cleared land and the pastures associated with it but If you're well traveled you might have noticed that most of Australia has not been cleared.
The Simpson Desert, The Strzelecki Desert and The Great Victoria Desert are just some examples of land that hasn't been cleared yet they're great spots for rabbits, cats, dogs , foxes, horses, donkeys, camels and more. Rabbits are plentiful in these parts.

Almost anywhere that a rabbit can dig is a good habitat for rabbits with the exception of tbe tropical zones, funnily enough they don't like having their burrows flooded.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Feb 2017, 8:26 pm

Sorry, but I don't agree that clearing the land created the perfect environment. After the English climate, Australia with it's wide open spaces, small population and dry climate must've felt like heaven to the Bunnies!

Walking around the bush at Cootamundra way, way back was like trying to walk on Swiss Cheese; there was that many warrens! All you did was clap ya hands and the ground moved!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 13 Feb 2017, 10:52 am

I'm just going by the control program that happens in this area, gassing, ripping and land restoration. It's the only way to stop the bunnies breeding up again. Everybody has their opinions. I'm stating what the enviro dept is doing.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Elmer » 13 Feb 2017, 12:30 pm

...best way to do it mate, keep the viruses in the vials :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Archie » 13 Feb 2017, 1:51 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
happyhunter wrote:Clearing land for farming is what created the perfect environment for ferals to breed and spread. Introduction wasn't the only contributing factor. Once you kill the ferals in an area the only way to stop them breeding up again is to reestablish the native landscape.

That's not exactly true.

Land clearing has had a negligible affect on rabbit population. Yes they love cleared land and the pastures associated with it but If you're well traveled you might have noticed that most of Australia has not been cleared.
The Simpson Desert, The Strzelecki Desert and The Great Victoria Desert are just some examples of land that hasn't been cleared yet they're great spots for rabbits, cats, dogs , foxes, horses, donkeys, camels and more. Rabbits are plentiful in these parts.

Almost anywhere that a rabbit can dig is a good habitat for rabbits with the exception of tbe tropical zones, funnily enough they don't like having their burrows flooded.

As a city boy I've often wondered the impact that land clearing for pasture had on the roo population. I assume with more wide open grass (and not much hunting to keep them in check) the roo population would have to be much larger than pre 1788? I guess back then they didn't have foxes or feral cats either but I assume those would only impact on the smaller animals than roos...
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 13 Feb 2017, 10:16 pm

Archie wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

That's not exactly true.

As a city boy I've often wondered the impact that land clearing for pasture had on the roo population. I assume with more wide open grass (and not much hunting to keep them in check) the roo population would have to be much larger than pre 1788? I guess back then they didn't have foxes or feral cats either but I assume those would only impact on the smaller animals than roos...

you got that right and don't forget the permanent water as well
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Feb 2017, 10:06 am

In the 15 years since buying "the Ranch" I have seen a population of Red-necked wallabies displaced by Wallaroos and Eastern greys. During drought years we have even seen Red kangaroos move in. ( they should be at least an hour west of here ) All of this with no "pressure" from me.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey