The release of RHDK5 and a few facts.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: The release on RHDK5 and a few facts.

Post by Archie » 13 Feb 2017, 1:51 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
happyhunter wrote:Clearing land for farming is what created the perfect environment for ferals to breed and spread. Introduction wasn't the only contributing factor. Once you kill the ferals in an area the only way to stop them breeding up again is to reestablish the native landscape.

That's not exactly true.

Land clearing has had a negligible affect on rabbit population. Yes they love cleared land and the pastures associated with it but If you're well traveled you might have noticed that most of Australia has not been cleared.
The Simpson Desert, The Strzelecki Desert and The Great Victoria Desert are just some examples of land that hasn't been cleared yet they're great spots for rabbits, cats, dogs , foxes, horses, donkeys, camels and more. Rabbits are plentiful in these parts.

Almost anywhere that a rabbit can dig is a good habitat for rabbits with the exception of tbe tropical zones, funnily enough they don't like having their burrows flooded.

As a city boy I've often wondered the impact that land clearing for pasture had on the roo population. I assume with more wide open grass (and not much hunting to keep them in check) the roo population would have to be much larger than pre 1788? I guess back then they didn't have foxes or feral cats either but I assume those would only impact on the smaller animals than roos...
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: The release on RHDK5 and a few facts.

Post by deye243 » 13 Feb 2017, 10:16 pm

Archie wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
happyhunter wrote:Clearing land for farming is what created the perfect environment for ferals to breed and spread. Introduction wasn't the only contributing factor. Once you kill the ferals in an area the only way to stop them breeding up again is to reestablish the native landscape.

That's not exactly true.

Land clearing has had a negligible affect on rabbit population. Yes they love cleared land and the pastures associated with it but If you're well traveled you might have noticed that most of Australia has not been cleared.
The Simpson Desert, The Strzelecki Desert and The Great Victoria Desert are just some examples of land that hasn't been cleared yet they're great spots for rabbits, cats, dogs , foxes, horses, donkeys, camels and more. Rabbits are plentiful in these parts.

Almost anywhere that a rabbit can dig is a good habitat for rabbits with the exception of tbe tropical zones, funnily enough they don't like having their burrows flooded.

As a city boy I've often wondered the impact that land clearing for pasture had on the roo population. I assume with more wide open grass (and not much hunting to keep them in check) the roo population would have to be much larger than pre 1788? I guess back then they didn't have foxes or feral cats either but I assume those would only impact on the smaller animals than roos...

you got that right and don't forget the permanent water as well
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: The release of RHDK5 and a few facts.

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Feb 2017, 10:06 am

In the 15 years since buying "the Ranch" I have seen a population of Red-necked wallabies displaced by Wallaroos and Eastern greys. During drought years we have even seen Red kangaroos move in. ( they should be at least an hour west of here ) All of this with no "pressure" from me.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey