Haven't seen one of these for about 20 years

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Haven't seen one of these for about 20 years

Post by deye243 » 15 Feb 2017, 10:03 pm

Haven't seen one of these for about 20 years I actually thought about letting him go 8-)

until he turned and started to run in the opposite direction so I let him have one . :lol:

IMG_3760 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3760 (Medium).JPG (141.06 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Haven't seen one of these for about 20 years

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Feb 2017, 10:30 pm

I saw one recently on the side of the road which was a real surprise as I hadent seen one for a good 5yrs at least. Supposed to be a sign of inbreeding or something like that.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rsj223 » 15 Feb 2017, 11:05 pm

There is one not far from me that has the top of its head and ears black
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Feb 2017, 11:19 pm

deye243 wrote:Haven't seen one of these for about 20 years I actually thought about letting him go 8-)

until he turned and started to run in the opposite direction so I let him have one . :lol:

IMG_3760 (Medium).JPG

So are you still happy with the rifle overall D, I know the triggers a bit of a let down to you but everything else ok with it?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 15 Feb 2017, 11:40 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
deye243 wrote:Haven't seen one of these for about 20 years I actually thought about letting him go 8-)

IMG_3760 (Medium).JPG

So are you still happy with the rifle overall D, I know the triggers a bit of a let down to you but everything else ok with it?

I would say "expletive" out standing Scott it is by far the best 22 I have ever used by quite a margin a good trigger job

will fix it right up and after going on a walking bunny bash with the trigger sticks today (longest shot = dead rabbit

was 181 yards 8-) ) it needs to lock the bolt handle down when the safety is on this is the only time I use safety's

and stoping all the time to pick up a 22 round up off the ground is getting old , so I will just have to start leaving the

bolt open when I use a sling ;) .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 16 Feb 2017, 5:01 am

the only ones i have seen are domestic but we u have these running around all over
Attachments
635876982933064877-blacksquirrel2.jpg
635876982933064877-blacksquirrel2.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 16 Feb 2017, 5:05 am

if any one ties flys i will post the next time i get some tails
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Pythonkeeper » 16 Feb 2017, 6:24 am

Nice black bunny.......have to agree with the you on the point you bought up about the bolt not locking, I've knocked mine open several times now when carrying on my left hand side.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Feb 2017, 6:45 am

deye243 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

IMG_3760 (Medium).JPG

I would say "expletive" out standing Scott it is by far the best 22 I have ever used by quite a margin a good trigger job

will fix it right up and after going on a walking bunny bash with the trigger sticks today (longest shot = dead rabbit

was 181 yards 8-) ) it needs to lock the bolt handle down when the safety is on this is the only time I use safety's

and stoping all the time to pick up a 22 round up off the ground is getting old , so I will just have to start leaving the

bolt open when I use a sling ;) .

Thanks for that D, that is a bit of a PITA about the bolt being easily knocked open. What is it like if the bolt isn't cocked does it still get knocked open easily? And I'm pretty sure the triggers were easy enough to mod to get them working right (spring change if memory serves me correctly). Either way it is a well machined bit of gear no doubt about it and the lam stock versions look sensational as does the walnut.
Might go there one day myself who knows.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Feb 2017, 12:26 pm

Yo Wrenchman, I've got plenty of these running around too! :clap:
turkey.jpg
turkey.jpg (179.1 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 17 Feb 2017, 7:48 am

i bet they are better to eat to
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Supaduke » 17 Feb 2017, 9:59 am

I wonder if it's the offspring of a domesticated black rabbit that escaped (set free?) and bred with the locals.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 17 Feb 2017, 12:26 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I saw one recently on the side of the road which was a real surprise as I hadent seen one for a good 5yrs at least. Supposed to be a sign of inbreeding or something like that.

I was going to say they must stick out like a sore thumb to predators.

A herd of rabbits with one glossy black guy on the side... who's a fox going to eat? :lol:

I'd guess they get picked off so fast/often as to not be able to carry on the black colouring trait often.

*Takes off David Attenborough hat*
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 17 Feb 2017, 2:54 pm

Be a bit hard to spot in the dark, wouldn't they?
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 17 Feb 2017, 3:15 pm

At the moment there's a pair with 2 chicks wandering round the back yard. very busy little things, scratching the garden wood chips all over the place...great to see but.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 17 Feb 2017, 8:37 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Be a bit hard to spot in the dark, wouldn't they?

nope they stick out like dogs balls on a cat ............ it's the normal ones that are hard to see ATM as the grass is dead .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 18 Feb 2017, 1:03 pm

Ive seen ginger,black, white grey and black and ones with a white stripe down the nose...supposed to be a sign of a healthy population. :)
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Jeff303 » 20 Feb 2017, 9:29 am

I must be spoilt. I hunt 5000 acres near ebor nsw.
We have paddocks in certain areas where the whole warren is black, others are a patchwork of every combination imaginable. Theres millions of em at different times of the year.
We fill a meat bucket & after that dont even bother getting out of the car
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Feb 2017, 1:20 pm

Used to have a few black rabbits here at "The Ranch" but haven't seen any for a few years now. Never shot at them much, the seasonal mixo and foxes keep the numbers down. Sorry BFS, I'm a bit slack on the foxes, don't have sheep, it does mean my Taswegian mates get to have a go at them when they visit though. :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 21 Feb 2017, 12:40 am

Elmer wrote:Ive seen ginger,black, white grey and black and ones with a white stripe down the nose...supposed to be a sign of a healthy population. :)

yeah we normally get ginger's here but black is rear as a politician that don't lie :lol:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 21 Feb 2017, 8:09 am

Lots of black rabbits around here. Surprised the hell outta me when I first saw one. Bunnies were all the same normal fawn colour where I grew up. There's even a white one I have been tempted to pop but my neighbour claims it is her 'pet'.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey