State Forest hunting???

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

State Forest hunting???

Post by basil brush » 21 Feb 2017, 9:56 am

Hi All
I was very very lucky to win a ballot to hunt the Maragle state forest for four days April.
I never win anything so this is a gift from the hunting Gods.

I have never hunted a state forest before and never been to Maragle.

If anyone has a some experience in this patch any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I dont think I will have trouble seeing deer. I would like to make the most of the time with good information.

A PM would be great if you want to keep it secret!!!

cheers
Huntin fishin missin
basil brush
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: State Forest hunting???

Post by bladeracer » 21 Feb 2017, 3:32 pm

I'm not in NSW, but it seems weird to have a ballot to hunt State Forest. Is this forest normally out of bounds for some reason?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 21 Feb 2017, 4:38 pm

Far out we're lucky busterds in VIC, we can walk into any forest anytime and hunt away....

Good luck with your hunt.... :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Archie » 21 Feb 2017, 4:56 pm

bladeracer wrote:I'm not in NSW, but it seems weird to have a ballot to hunt State Forest. Is this forest normally out of bounds for some reason?

I've never been to that one personally, but supposedly this one was in high demand for the normal bookings so they put it on a ballot system instead between end of Feb and June to make it a bit fairer. I'm assuming the demand was because it has a lot of deer.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Feb 2017, 5:01 pm

Archie wrote:I've never been to that one personally, but supposedly this one was in high demand for the normal bookings so they put it on a ballot system instead between end of Feb and June to make it a bit fairer. I'm assuming the demand was because it has a lot of deer.

Do you mean that when you book a hunt in a state forest in NSW you can actually be knocked back?
I thought it was just a matter of having your name on a list before you go out.
Do you find out when you make the booking whether you're allowed to go?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 21 Feb 2017, 8:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Archie wrote:I've never been to that one personally, but supposedly this one was in high demand for the normal bookings so they put it on a ballot system instead between end of Feb and June to make it a bit fairer. I'm assuming the demand was because it has a lot of deer.

Do you mean that when you book a hunt in a state forest in NSW you can actually be knocked back?
I thought it was just a matter of having your name on a list before you go out.
Do you find out when you make the booking whether you're allowed to go?

Yeah, you do. The way it works is (and this is the normal system, not the balloted system - I have no idea how the ballot works) - so for starters you need to have your NSW DPI R Licence. You log onto their website, there is a list of forests and it tells you how many spots are free for each forest for a range of dates.

So for example, you and a mate might be looking to book a hunt for a specific forest for next weekend. You need to give them at least one clear day in advance of your start date so you couldn't book it on the Friday. You log on with your details and the website will tell you that for Saturday there are 5 spots free in that forest and Sunday there are 4. You and your mate need to two spots, so you book it and you're done. Website gives you a written permission letter which you need to print out and carry with you. So yeah, you know you're allowed to go, all sorted. Happy days. If, on the other hand, when you log on, there are no spots free for that forest for that date, then you're out of luck and you can't book it and have to pick another one.

My guess - and as I say, never looked into Maragle so it's only a guess - is that it was often busy and people couldn't get bookings. So they moved to a ballot.

I honestly don't know how they figure out the number of hunters allowed at one time in any given forest, but I would assume it's just based on the size of the forest. I hunted a very large forest late last year that had 20+ spots available; the forest was huge but given the amount of space inside that forest you were actually allowed to hunt in it would have been pretty crowded if 20 people had taken up the spots. But as near as I could tell I was the only person who actually had made a booking for the three days I was there, and I didn't see any people at all (or any living thing but wombats and kangaroos either but that was probably my fault).
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Feb 2017, 8:12 pm

Archie wrote:Yeah, you do. The way it works is (and this is the normal system, not the balloted system - I have no idea how the ballot works) - so for starters you need to have your NSW DPI R Licence. You log onto their website, there is a list of forests and it tells you how many spots are free for each forest for a range of dates.

So for example, you and a mate might be looking to book a hunt for a specific forest for next weekend. You need to give them at least one clear day in advance of your start date so you couldn't book it on the Friday. You log on with your details and the website will tell you that for Saturday there are 5 spots free in that forest and Sunday there are 4. You and your mate need to two spots, so you book it and you're done. Website gives you a written permission letter which you need to print out and carry with you. So yeah, you know you're allowed to go, all sorted. Happy days. If, on the other hand, when you log on, there are no spots free for that forest for that date, then you're out of luck and you can't book it and have to pick another one.

My guess - and as I say, never looked into Maragle so it's only a guess - is that it was often busy and people couldn't get bookings. So they moved to a ballot.

I honestly don't know how they figure out the number of hunters allowed at one time in any given forest, but I would assume it's just based on the size of the forest. I hunted a very large forest late last year that had 20+ spots available; the forest was huge but given the amount of space inside that forest you were actually allowed to hunt in it would have been pretty crowded if 20 people had taken up the spots. But as near as I could tell I was the only person who actually had made a booking for the three days I was there, and I didn't see any people at all (or any living thing but wombats and kangaroos either but that was probably my fault).

Thanks for taking the time to explain that Archie :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sasfish » 02 Mar 2018, 4:00 pm

Ya im interested in some info about the area too. I also got 4 days in april and just wondering where people camp and how it works with 5 hunters all at the same time? Cheers
sasfish
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by markm79 » 16 Mar 2018, 9:01 am

How did you go with some advice? I drew this years ballot & would be keen to hear about your experiences. I’ve never been into Maragle & mainly hunt around Bathurst area. PM is ok if you don’t wanna discuss publicly. Thanks in advance
markm79
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scoobs » 15 May 2018, 7:46 pm

markm79 wrote:How did you go with some advice? I drew this years ballot & would be keen to hear about your experiences. I’ve never been into Maragle & mainly hunt around Bathurst area. PM is ok if you don’t wanna discuss publicly. Thanks in advance

what slot did you draw? i got mine in a couple weeks :)
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Border Blades » 01 Mar 2019, 7:02 am

basil brush wrote:Hi All
I was very very lucky to win a ballot to hunt the Maragle state forest for four days April.
I never win anything so this is a gift from the hunting Gods.

I have never hunted a state forest before and never been to Maragle.

If anyone has a some experience in this patch any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I dont think I will have trouble seeing deer. I would like to make the most of the time with good information.

A PM would be great if you want to keep it secret!!!

cheers

Hey Basil
I have also drawn 4 days in April for the Maragle Ballot. I have not hunted Maragle before but driven past many times, every time seeing many brumbies. Lets hope there are plenty of deer as well. Should be an interesting experience, I noted someone asking why its balloted, Maragle is a known hot spot for Fallow (and hunters). The best way to manage both during the rut is to ballot the area, I think this is a good thing for both safety and sustainability of the deer (just sayin).
Good Luck
Border Blades
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey