Tassie Deer Season

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Tassie Deer Season

Post by Gwion » 22 Feb 2017, 11:36 am

Saturday (25th Feb) is opening of deer season (antlered deer) in Taswegia.

Our club is having a sight in session and a (venison) sausage sizzle on Saturday morning before we do our usual TR/F-class shoot.

If you are in the Nth of the state and want to get your zeros at 100 & 300yd for your hunting rifle, PM me for details.

We will have f-class targets as well as a life sized deer target.

We are a small club and the range is on private land so we prefer if you contact us before just rocking up; hence the PM. Also good to get an idea for numbers so i can contact my mate who owns a deer farm and organise the venison sausages for lunch.

Hope you can make it. :thumbsup:

PS: If you bag a deer and get a pic, post it here!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: Tassie Deer Season

Post by Heckler303 » 22 Feb 2017, 5:40 pm

Ahh, Tasmania deer season, where property prices will send all those but the well-set with light wallets for hunting big fluffy vermin, the bag limit is smaller than the fish limit, and fat blokes carry around elephant rifles for tiny fallows. :crazy:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 22 Feb 2017, 6:34 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Ahh, Tasmania deer season, where property prices will send all those but the well-set with light wallets for hunting big fluffy vermin, the bag limit is smaller than the fish limit, and fat blokes carry around elephant rifles for tiny fallows. :crazy:

Oh well.... better than nothing. Not a lot better than nothing but still better! ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by zobster » 09 Mar 2017, 12:55 pm

Tasmaian fallow is only reserved for the privileged few that have access to private land where they all seem to be grazing on. Or Mr MoneyBags that is willing to spend $3500++ to shoot a trophy! Rant over!
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 09 Mar 2017, 2:26 pm

There are forestry tracts that can be hunted as well.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2017, 3:03 pm

Are they rutting yet? Must be getting close.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Mar 2017, 3:59 pm

Close but no cigar as yet. Were shedding felt a couple of weeks ago on a friend's farm.
I guess it will all happen soon.
Doesn't make much sense to open the season prior to the rut so all the best bucks get shot before they breed for the year.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tripod » 09 Mar 2017, 5:26 pm

Gwion wrote:Doesn't make much sense to open the season prior to the rut so all the best bucks get shot before they breed for the year.....

My thoughts too, If they changed the Stag season to after the rut then nature would take it's course and herds and antlers would naturally improve. By shooting the biggest stags before the rut our herds and antlers will continue to get worse.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 09 Mar 2017, 6:59 pm

zobster wrote:Tasmaian fallow is only reserved for the privileged few that have access to private land where they all seem to be grazing on. Or Mr MoneyBags that is willing to spend $3500++ to shoot a trophy! Rant over!

^ Zobster speaks the truth here. Good to see you slink back on this crazy place too.

The amount of money that people want you to pay for one of the smallest and lightest deer in the entire country is far beyond ridiculous. Take a trip up north to VIC and you can go mad for Sambos- err...sambar, all you want.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 14 Mar 2017, 8:12 am

Good to be back!

When would be the best time to harvest a couple for best eating quality? Some tells me June, some tells me Dec.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 14 Mar 2017, 8:42 am

During the anterless deer season:

Deer
Adult Male:
Season runs from 25/02/2017 to 02/04/2017

Antlerless:
​Season runs from 11/03/2017 to 02/04/2017 and from 13/05/2017 to 02/07/2017

Anyone suggesting to harvest in Dec is either breaking the law or has a crop protection cull permit.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 14 Mar 2017, 9:32 am

Yeah yeah, having the season open when a lot of young deer still haven't grown up into full size stags with antlers is great isn't it. :sarcasm:

Doesn't bother me though, I'm only after the does. If I see a buck however, I'll take one.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 14 Mar 2017, 9:49 am

Assuming crop protection tags, when would be the best time for eating quality?
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 21 Mar 2017, 8:46 am

Well, today is the day for myself to toddle down to a property to hunt for the finicky fallow deer. Wish me the best of luck chaps, I'll hope to bring back a 20 pointer, but i'll settle for anything except spikies at this rate.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2017, 9:46 am

Good luck, hope you bag one!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 21 Mar 2017, 10:45 am

dont pass on monday that you would be happy with on friday good luck
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Heckler303 » 23 Mar 2017, 1:33 pm

Well, I got back.

Nothing.

Me and pop have walked about 40km and drove a total of 450km and spent 3 nights on state forest land, and the only thing we saw was a single spiker just out of state forest. In fact, I wasn't the only one on the property having a bad week, a red ute that was leaving infront of us stopped to open the gate, asked him if he'd gotten anything, supposedly he managed to bowl a doe over down at the bottom of the hill. This is a hill that stretches up into the clouds mind you, he must spent a long time driving just for one not much bigger than a sheep!

Well, at least I know there was one hanging around. Honestly, the scrub was so thick, you didn't need to bring a full size rifle, a No.5 Jungle Carbine or any medium caliber carbine would have done the trick in there. Then again, tell that to the 'compensators' walking around with full size 338WM rifles loaded to the max.

In short, I still believe the whole deer culture in Tasmania is a huge wank.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Mar 2017, 3:59 pm

That's a shame mate, but at least you were out there learning the craft and getting among them. I've heard some of the land down that way is dense, I reckon a Lever Action with open sights would be the go or the Jungle Carbine would be fine too, not like you are taking long range shots, you just need something you can point quickly and take a shot with.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Heckler303 » 23 Mar 2017, 4:05 pm

bigfellascott wrote:That's a shame mate, but at least you were out there learning the craft and getting among them. I've heard some of the land down that way is dense, I reckon a Lever Action with open sights would be the go or the Jungle Carbine would be fine too, not like you are taking long range shots, you just need something you can point quickly and take a shot with.

Exactly, the ranges there across open territory were never more than 100m, and by the 30-30 shells found there while camping, somebody else had the same idea.

The thick scrub warrants something that isn't about to stop halfway to the deer because it hit a tiny twig anyway. Up here in the north west though, some of the bushland is so overgrown and thick (Like the women :P ) you can't take anything else but a short carbine or even a pistol into it. Trying to drag a 28 inch Double barrel through scrub with no open spaces bigger than 4cm squared has been an experience, I'll say.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Mar 2017, 4:13 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:That's a shame mate, but at least you were out there learning the craft and getting among them. I've heard some of the land down that way is dense, I reckon a Lever Action with open sights would be the go or the Jungle Carbine would be fine too, not like you are taking long range shots, you just need something you can point quickly and take a shot with.

Exactly, the ranges there across open territory were never more than 100m, and by the 30-30 shells found there while camping, somebody else had the same idea.

The thick scrub warrants something that isn't about to stop halfway to the deer because it hit a tiny twig anyway. Up here in the north west though, some of the bushland is so overgrown and thick (Like the women :P ) you can't take anything else but a short carbine or even a pistol into it. Trying to drag a 28 inch Double barrel through scrub with no open spaces bigger than 4cm squared has been an experience, I'll say.

God love it that would of been a PITA big time I'd imagine :lol: I don't bother hunting in the think stuff anymore, just too hard for me to do now and half the time you spook more than you see so I'd rather find easier country to hunt in if I can and I do lot's of sitting and glassing more than walking, it works better for me (being a lazy bastard) sitting and waiting on a game trail suits me fine. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Heckler303 » 23 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

God love it that would of been a PITA big time I'd imagine :lol: I don't bother hunting in the think stuff anymore, just too hard for me to do now and half the time you spook more than you see so I'd rather find easier country to hunt in if I can and I do lot's of sitting and glassing more than walking, it works better for me (being a lazy bastard) sitting and waiting on a game trail suits me fine. :D

Unfortunately, I have come to learn wallabies love hiding in the thick stuff, and only will jump out if it suits them, so if I can wait in an open area and make little noises, they generally tend to run past and only see me at the last moment.

Playing in the thick stuff makes me want to bring a handgun to the forest for those short ranges, .357 hollowpoints would drop a wallaby no trouble.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by wrenchman » 24 Mar 2017, 8:24 am

that would be cool to see i like to hunt with hand guns if you get one post pics
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 24 Mar 2017, 9:29 am

wrenchman wrote:that would be cool to see i like to hunt with hand guns if you get one post pics

Just before you head off for a holiday at Risdon (state prison).
Hunting with a hand gun is not legal in Tas and blasting away at a pademelon with a 357 would be a total waste of ammo.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 24 Mar 2017, 12:25 pm

Gwion wrote:
wrenchman wrote:that would be cool to see i like to hunt with hand guns if you get one post pics

Hunting with a hand gun is not legal in Tas and blasting away at a pademelon with a 357 would be a total waste of ammo.

Somehow I had a feeling Captain Obvious would arrive. I've spoken to people who have used 38s and 357s, and they are in fact effective on pademelons and bennets. Handgun hunting has been something I've discussed before, regarding legalization at least
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by wrenchman » 24 Mar 2017, 12:27 pm

well damn thats no fun dont go breaking any laws
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 24 Mar 2017, 2:45 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
Gwion wrote:

Somehow I had a feeling Captain Obvious would arrive. I've spoken to people who have used 38s and 357s, and they are in fact effective on pademelons and bennets. Handgun hunting has been something I've discussed before, regarding legalization at least

That's Sir General Obvious, to you!

I never said the round would not be effective but firing a pistol in tight scrub at a small, fast moving target with a very limited window for target acquisition and you are in complete fantasy land.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 24 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

Gwion wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:
Gwion wrote:

That's Sir General Obvious, to you!

I never said the round would not be effective but firing a pistol in tight scrub at a small, fast moving target with a very limited window for target acquisition and you are in complete fantasy land.

I find wallabies over at state forest will tend to hop for a small bit then, then stop to look back, that is usually when I take the shot, however, I have managed to hit them down with the .22 Puma while hopping, and blasted them single handed with 12G (One arm was busy with a bennett's, had to fire mad-max style.) Once you move past the thicker stuff it generally tends to widen up enough for a steady swings. In fact, I've seen them stay still for a good 10 seconds, and I personally wouldnt have much trouble hitting one from a handgun. >25m being the most ideal of course.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 26 Mar 2017, 7:15 am

Totally dreamin'. :unknown: :silent:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 26 Mar 2017, 10:07 am

Gwion wrote:Totally dreamin'. :unknown: :silent:

Dreamers tend to be the best believers :lol: :lol:
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Supaduke » 26 Mar 2017, 5:34 pm

I once shot a roo at 1200m with a .22 pistol. Got him right in the noggin.....
True story.

I also have a bridge for sale in Sydney at a very reasonable price.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey