Tassie Deer Season

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Tassie Deer Season

Post by Heckler303 » 23 Mar 2017, 4:05 pm

bigfellascott wrote:That's a shame mate, but at least you were out there learning the craft and getting among them. I've heard some of the land down that way is dense, I reckon a Lever Action with open sights would be the go or the Jungle Carbine would be fine too, not like you are taking long range shots, you just need something you can point quickly and take a shot with.

Exactly, the ranges there across open territory were never more than 100m, and by the 30-30 shells found there while camping, somebody else had the same idea.

The thick scrub warrants something that isn't about to stop halfway to the deer because it hit a tiny twig anyway. Up here in the north west though, some of the bushland is so overgrown and thick (Like the women :P ) you can't take anything else but a short carbine or even a pistol into it. Trying to drag a 28 inch Double barrel through scrub with no open spaces bigger than 4cm squared has been an experience, I'll say.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Mar 2017, 4:13 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:That's a shame mate, but at least you were out there learning the craft and getting among them. I've heard some of the land down that way is dense, I reckon a Lever Action with open sights would be the go or the Jungle Carbine would be fine too, not like you are taking long range shots, you just need something you can point quickly and take a shot with.

Exactly, the ranges there across open territory were never more than 100m, and by the 30-30 shells found there while camping, somebody else had the same idea.

The thick scrub warrants something that isn't about to stop halfway to the deer because it hit a tiny twig anyway. Up here in the north west though, some of the bushland is so overgrown and thick (Like the women :P ) you can't take anything else but a short carbine or even a pistol into it. Trying to drag a 28 inch Double barrel through scrub with no open spaces bigger than 4cm squared has been an experience, I'll say.

God love it that would of been a PITA big time I'd imagine :lol: I don't bother hunting in the think stuff anymore, just too hard for me to do now and half the time you spook more than you see so I'd rather find easier country to hunt in if I can and I do lot's of sitting and glassing more than walking, it works better for me (being a lazy bastard) sitting and waiting on a game trail suits me fine. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Heckler303 » 23 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

God love it that would of been a PITA big time I'd imagine :lol: I don't bother hunting in the think stuff anymore, just too hard for me to do now and half the time you spook more than you see so I'd rather find easier country to hunt in if I can and I do lot's of sitting and glassing more than walking, it works better for me (being a lazy bastard) sitting and waiting on a game trail suits me fine. :D

Unfortunately, I have come to learn wallabies love hiding in the thick stuff, and only will jump out if it suits them, so if I can wait in an open area and make little noises, they generally tend to run past and only see me at the last moment.

Playing in the thick stuff makes me want to bring a handgun to the forest for those short ranges, .357 hollowpoints would drop a wallaby no trouble.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by wrenchman » 24 Mar 2017, 8:24 am

that would be cool to see i like to hunt with hand guns if you get one post pics
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 24 Mar 2017, 9:29 am

wrenchman wrote:that would be cool to see i like to hunt with hand guns if you get one post pics

Just before you head off for a holiday at Risdon (state prison).
Hunting with a hand gun is not legal in Tas and blasting away at a pademelon with a 357 would be a total waste of ammo.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 24 Mar 2017, 12:25 pm

Gwion wrote:
wrenchman wrote:that would be cool to see i like to hunt with hand guns if you get one post pics

Hunting with a hand gun is not legal in Tas and blasting away at a pademelon with a 357 would be a total waste of ammo.

Somehow I had a feeling Captain Obvious would arrive. I've spoken to people who have used 38s and 357s, and they are in fact effective on pademelons and bennets. Handgun hunting has been something I've discussed before, regarding legalization at least
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by wrenchman » 24 Mar 2017, 12:27 pm

well damn thats no fun dont go breaking any laws
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 24 Mar 2017, 2:45 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
Gwion wrote:

Somehow I had a feeling Captain Obvious would arrive. I've spoken to people who have used 38s and 357s, and they are in fact effective on pademelons and bennets. Handgun hunting has been something I've discussed before, regarding legalization at least

That's Sir General Obvious, to you!

I never said the round would not be effective but firing a pistol in tight scrub at a small, fast moving target with a very limited window for target acquisition and you are in complete fantasy land.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 24 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

Gwion wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:
Gwion wrote:

That's Sir General Obvious, to you!

I never said the round would not be effective but firing a pistol in tight scrub at a small, fast moving target with a very limited window for target acquisition and you are in complete fantasy land.

I find wallabies over at state forest will tend to hop for a small bit then, then stop to look back, that is usually when I take the shot, however, I have managed to hit them down with the .22 Puma while hopping, and blasted them single handed with 12G (One arm was busy with a bennett's, had to fire mad-max style.) Once you move past the thicker stuff it generally tends to widen up enough for a steady swings. In fact, I've seen them stay still for a good 10 seconds, and I personally wouldnt have much trouble hitting one from a handgun. >25m being the most ideal of course.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 26 Mar 2017, 7:15 am

Totally dreamin'. :unknown: :silent:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 26 Mar 2017, 10:07 am

Gwion wrote:Totally dreamin'. :unknown: :silent:

Dreamers tend to be the best believers :lol: :lol:
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Supaduke » 26 Mar 2017, 5:34 pm

I once shot a roo at 1200m with a .22 pistol. Got him right in the noggin.....
True story.

I also have a bridge for sale in Sydney at a very reasonable price.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Mar 2017, 5:49 pm

Anyone watch Landline on ABC today at noon? Apparently Tassie is being overrun with Deer and even Bob Brown (Greens) got in on the interview. Very interesting.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 26 Mar 2017, 8:48 pm

Yes I watched that before the F1 started.Some say there is too many deer causing problems the deer farmers want the market to themselves.Be interesting to see the outcome
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 27 Mar 2017, 10:05 am

Yeah, seems a bit too complicated - too many players and all after a buck (sorry , no pun intended).
If the deer herds need to be reduced let the government open up closed land and issue more permits.
All the players can't have their cake and it it too...
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 27 Mar 2017, 12:25 pm

duncan61 wrote:Yes I watched that before the F1 started.Some say there is too many deer causing problems the deer farmers want the market to themselves.Be interesting to see the outcome

As mentioned above, i have a friend who owns a deer farm and is quite involved with this debate.

No-one in the venison industry has anything against hunters harvesting more wild deer. The issue is quality control and food safety.
If the deer farmers and processors have to adhere (and rightly so) to stringent quality and hygiene standards then any wild harvested meat would have to meet exactly the same standards. This would be very difficult to implement for harvesters and next to impossible to regulate for authorities.

We have discussed this quite a few times and, as my friend points out, while the kangaroo meat industry manages to regulate standards interstate, the logistics due to terrain and habitat for kangaroo is vastly different to that for fallow deer. Also, from an end user point of view, the restaurant trade have to be certain that the meat they purchase has been processed with the highest quality control standards. This would be impossible to guarantee when every Tom, Dick and Harry are trying to flog off whatever they gathered on their weekend hunt.

The venison industry is also quite small. So, is it really fair that some weekend warrior should be able to cut into the hard won market developed by people who have invested heavily in promoting the product as the mainstay of their livelihood?
Imagine how the beef industry would react if anyone could shoot scrub cattle and flog them off to the local butchers or restaurant trade?

A better solution to the overpopulation of deer in Tas is for the season to be changed to a closed season during and leading up to the rut and having an open season for the rest of the year with a vastly increased allowance for hunters to harvest. As in Victoria, as long as you have a license you can harvest as many deer as you can manage. As it stands, in Tas you can only shoot a max of 3 deer a year in a very short season; one with antlers and two without antlers.

As for utilising the harvest from crop protection culls, there is no reason they should not be able to go to the pet food industry.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RoginaJack » 27 Mar 2017, 3:58 pm

My thoughts are that all animal culling should be looked at, mainly this shooting/culling and leaving them in the paddock/forest/park to rot has to stop. The carcasses should be utilised to the full or not culled at all. Leaving carcasses in the paddock has the potential to increase other pests and spread disease.
Deer culled in Tassie should be guided by similar rules and regulations to Kangaroo harvesting on the mainland.
Anyway my 2 cents worth.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 27 Mar 2017, 5:11 pm

If it's a culling approach, there's no reason for a season or limit. If it's herd management, there needs to be a season and quotas. Regarding recreational hunters shooting deer and then selling meat, I'm not sure that can happen? Pretty sure I can't legally kill a sheep in my paddock and sell any product from it (animal has to go through licensed aboitoirs) but there is no restriction on me harvesting meat for my own consumption..... Maybe there's some quirky law in Tasmania that would allow that?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 27 Mar 2017, 5:42 pm

Proccessing plant built to health dept standards and buy the carcass of lic deer shooters just like the human consumption kangaroo industry or .Wild Deer carcass in good chiller will last 21 days best at 10 days so could be transported to Macro meats for Proccessing.Deer farmers still market to Restaruants trade as they already are.with farmed animals.Tag system just like kangaroos thats reveiwed and amount set annually.I think that may be to easy a solution
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2017, 6:29 pm

@ heckler303. (Was that senior or junior?)
I spotted 2. But the rifle was in the boot at the time. :thumbsdown: Murphies law is at it again.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 29 Mar 2017, 12:45 pm

The debate as it stands is that hunters and farming cull permit holders want to cash in on the venison trade and venison farmers don't like the idea for various reasons, as above. My view is that culled animals could be utilised for pet food but not for human consumption.
The Tassie deer herd had been very mismanaged. There are hunters paying $1000 a head to hunt on 'hunting properties' to bag one of their 3 allowed animals, while graziers and crop farmers are issued cull permits to protect their crops. Mean while, many of the deer shelter in protected areas. There is one farm near by that has deer on it all the time. You can see them daily but the owner will not allow any harvesting. Mean while, his neighbours are investing in deer fences to protect their grazing paddocks...,
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Diesel » 29 Mar 2017, 3:29 pm

Gwion wrote:
duncan61 wrote:Yes I watched that before the F1 started.Some say there is too many deer causing problems the deer farmers want the market to themselves.Be interesting to see the outcome

As mentioned above, i have a friend who owns a deer farm and is quite involved with this debate.

No-one in the venison industry has anything against hunters harvesting more wild deer. The issue is quality control and food safety.
If the deer farmers and processors have to adhere (and rightly so) to stringent quality and hygiene standards then any wild harvested meat would have to meet exactly the same standards. This would be very difficult to implement for harvesters and next to impossible to regulate for authorities.

We have discussed this quite a few times and, as my friend points out, while the kangaroo meat industry manages to regulate standards interstate, the logistics due to terrain and habitat for kangaroo is vastly different to that for fallow deer. Also, from an end user point of view, the restaurant trade have to be certain that the meat they purchase has been processed with the highest quality control standards. This would be impossible to guarantee when every Tom, Dick and Harry are trying to flog off whatever they gathered on their weekend hunt.

The venison industry is also quite small. So, is it really fair that some weekend warrior should be able to cut into the hard won market developed by people who have invested heavily in promoting the product as the mainstay of their livelihood?
Imagine how the beef industry would react if anyone could shoot scrub cattle and flog them off to the local butchers or restaurant trade?

A better solution to the overpopulation of deer in Tas is for the season to be changed to a closed season during and leading up to the rut and having an open season for the rest of the year with a vastly increased allowance for hunters to harvest. As in Victoria, as long as you have a license you can harvest as many deer as you can manage. As it stands, in Tas you can only shoot a max of 3 deer a year in a very short season; one with antlers and two without antlers.

As for utilising the harvest from crop protection culls, there is no reason they should not be able to go to the pet food industry.

Not quite right, there are quite a few of us that are licensed to shoot game meat for human consumption in conjunction with a properly licensed abattoir. It has been going on with wallaby as long as I can remember and wallaby are harvested under strict guidelines. Even to sell as pet meat you need to be licensed.Wild harvested Tasmanian wallaby meat has been available for years without complaint.

When it comes to wild harvested venison the only holdup is the current status of deer in the state, there are plenty of opportunities to harvest Deer for consumption and done at the right time of year the meat is good quality and can easily be in the abattoir by dawn. Stags(what most people call male fallow in Tasmania) are really only good for pet food anyway unless you trim fat religiously and avoid the rut but even dogs need to eat.

Using protection of the farmed deer industry as a reason to not allow human consumption of properly harvested and processed venison is very archaic and will only benefit a very few, I find the "wild Tasmanian Venison" label some already use as a bit of a joke. True, the current venison industry is small as once was the Tasmanian wine industry. There are reasons the wine industry didn't flourish until quantity improved, same goes for the venison to trade industry.

I am all for an open year round season on all deer, see where it leads, worse that can happen is we wipe them out in the state, after all they are an introduced pest. It needs to be looked at with an open mind.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Diesel » 29 Mar 2017, 3:41 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Well, I got back.

Nothing.

Me and pop have walked about 40km and drove a total of 450km and spent 3 nights on state forest land, and the only thing we saw was a single spiker just out of state forest. In fact, I wasn't the only one on the property having a bad week, a red ute that was leaving infront of us stopped to open the gate, asked him if he'd gotten anything, supposedly he managed to bowl a doe over down at the bottom of the hill. This is a hill that stretches up into the clouds mind you, he must spent a long time driving just for one not much bigger than a sheep!

Well, at least I know there was one hanging around. Honestly, the scrub was so thick, you didn't need to bring a full size rifle, a No.5 Jungle Carbine or any medium caliber carbine would have done the trick in there. Then again, tell that to the 'compensators' walking around with full size 338WM rifles loaded to the max.

In short, I still believe the whole deer culture in Tasmania is a huge wank.

And a quiet word of advice, from one of the big fat compensators who carries a dirty big heavy barrelled WM (when I am shooting across large paddocks, stalking it is a .243), when you are a big fat compensator with a huge rifle and year round access to crop protection tags you tend to not care too much about what pimpled, whiney, runts with sandy vaginas think.

Keep walking those km's for no result, it will stop you from becoming a big fat compensator.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Gwion » 29 Mar 2017, 4:28 pm

Diesel wrote:
Gwion wrote:

Not quite right, there are quite a few of us that are licensed to shoot game meat for human consumption in conjunction with a properly licensed abattoir. It has been going on with wallaby as long as I can remember and wallaby are harvested under strict guidelines. Even to sell as pet meat you need to be licensed.Wild harvested Tasmanian wallaby meat has been available for years without complaint.

When it comes to wild harvested venison the only holdup is the current status of deer in the state, there are plenty of opportunities to harvest Deer for consumption and done at the right time of year the meat is good quality and can easily be in the abattoir by dawn. Stags(what most people call male fallow in Tasmania) are really only good for pet food anyway unless you trim fat religiously and avoid the rut but even dogs need to eat.

Using protection of the farmed deer industry as a reason to not allow human consumption of properly harvested and processed venison is very archaic and will only benefit a very few, I find the "wild Tasmanian Venison" label some already use as a bit of a joke. True, the current venison industry is small as once was the Tasmanian wine industry. There are reasons the wine industry didn't flourish until quantity improved, same goes for the venison to trade industry.

I am all for an open year round season on all deer, see where it leads, worse that can happen is we wipe them out in the state, after all they are an introduced pest. It needs to be looked at with an open mind.

I'm not usually one to argue for industry protection but i can see why the venison industry are against the idea.

Properly harvested to strict guidelines, i can see benefits but in reality the product will then be devalued; even ignoring the potential issues with regulation and cowboy operators.

As for the analogy with the wine industry, there was also an issue with quality and not quantity.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey