Rabbit Hunting, RHDV1-K5 Release date 1st March 2017

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Rabbit Hunting, RHDV1-K5 Release date 1st March 2017

Post by Corn » 28 Feb 2017, 9:50 am

Hey guys
I have just read on the Herald Sun's website (a Melbourne based newspaper) that the K5 strain of RHDV1 will be released tomorrow.
Here is the link:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/sout ... 2b7708f226

The article doesn't inform us about the consumption of an infected rabbit (for those who choose to eat a wild rabbit).

Cheers
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Rabbit Hunting, RHDV1-K5 Release date 1st March 2017

Post by Elmer » 28 Feb 2017, 4:44 pm

Hey Corn,
the knock down rate of the K5 is from 0-40% depending on environment...the K5 will be more effective in cool moist environs as opposed to drier ones. It will not have the devastating affect as the first Calici back in 95 which was released on a "naive" population. Yes we will loose some but it will not be like 95.
cheers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Corn » 28 Feb 2017, 4:51 pm

Cheers Elmer, kinda new to this.

To me, 0-40% doesn't seem effective enough for the effort being put in to releasing K5.
Or am I just expecting too much?
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 28 Feb 2017, 5:09 pm

Your right mate, the K5 does seem a little anemic compared to the current K2 thats making the rounds. Whatever the case, they will bounce back .
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 01 Mar 2017, 6:42 am

Is there a map of the areas the new release is taking place?
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Elmer » 01 Mar 2017, 11:23 am

happyhunter wrote:Is there a map of the areas the new release is taking place?

Yes there is mate, go to this site https://www.feralscan.org.au/rabbitscan/default.aspx go to the bottom REPORT RABBIT DISEASE map click on that then
go to the index on side of page and click on the release site box (the site will come up as a small orange star), this will show up all the k5 release sites.
I have counted 46 in South Oz.
cheers,
Sean.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by jordy » 01 Mar 2017, 12:50 pm

Corn wrote:To me, 0-40% doesn't seem effective enough for the effort being put in to releasing K5.
Or am I just expecting too much?

Downward is the only way the trend has been going, Google and do some reading for the numbers but you'll see the population gets more resistant every time.

Population goes into a dip, then will climb without resistance.

Reads a lot postponing the problem the way I look at it.
jordy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 03 Mar 2017, 1:32 pm

On the subject of eating wild rabbit, I did a little research recently: https://hoffos.wordpress.com/2017/02/15 ... australia/
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 03 Mar 2017, 2:03 pm

in2anity wrote:On the subject of eating wild rabbit, I did a little research recently: https://hoffos.wordpress.com/2017/02/15 ... australia/

Thanks for that mate, very interesting :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Mar 2017, 2:14 pm

in2anity wrote:On the subject of eating wild rabbit, I did a little research recently: https://hoffos.wordpress.com/2017/02/15 ... australia/

Good link, I'm going to steal it and add that link to the Rabbit Recipes thread.
It's definitely something that some people worry about.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 03 Mar 2017, 2:25 pm

I am against creating viruses and other types of biological controls, I believe they're cruel and inhumane.

Those who believe shooting is cruel should have a close look at what these viruses do.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sbd3927 » 15 Mar 2017, 9:13 pm

Local ag newsletter on virus release
Great vector, there's hardly any flies around at the moment, if there are any, the wasps get them. I'm outside all the time atm, there's an occasional blowie around in the morning, and the little <in your eyes> black sods haven't been seen for weeks.

New Calicivirus Boost K5 strain released at Silvan

The Wabbit Action Group Silvan-Wandin (WAGS) was one of 600 groups or landholders across Australia to release the new Korean strain of the RHDV rabbit calicivirus during the first week of March 2017.

Prior to the release, WAGS held an information session to update local landholders on the plans for the release. To make the session even more spectacular, there was a demonstration of a Rodenator R3, a device for exploding warrens. The information session and the destruction of a rabbit warren were filmed by Yarra Ranges Life TV. Use the following link to view all of the videos in their Calici VirusPlaylist: https://www.youtube.com/watchv=sZO1StBB ... H3Vtbzu_sG

In preparation for the release, the WAGS committee did spotlight counts in early February to get an indication of the current rabbit population at about 10 sites within our Group’s area. The sites were chosen because of evidence of active rabbit populations or inhabited warrens.

Members of the committee then put out free feeds of carrots at each site on 3 consecutive evenings in late February, to encourage the rabbits to eat the carrots. On the fourth evening, the carrots were laced with the Boost K5 virus prior to distribution. When the uneaten carrot pieces were collected the following morning, over 70% of the carrots had been consumed or chewed. At several sites, all of the carrots had been consumed.

In early April, the spotlight counts will be repeated to measure the impact on local rabbit populations of the release of the rabbit-specific deadly disease. WAGS are hoping to collect some carcasses of rabbits that have died from Calicivirus Boost K5. These will be distributed to interested landholders to assist with increasing the spread of the Calicivirus. The virus is spread by flies from infected carcasses to live rabbits.

For more information on the release of the Calicivirus, visit the PestSmart website:
http://www.pestsmart.org.au/boosting-ra ... al-release
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 17 Mar 2017, 10:03 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:I am against creating viruses and other types of biological controls, I believe they're cruel and inhumane.

Those who believe shooting is cruel should have a close look at what these viruses do.

:thumbsup: But some dumb ass told me shooting was inhumane, with its instant dispatching of pest animals ? :wtf: I guess suffering from a virus is different and way more acceptable in the minds of the anti shooting cok smackers... :wtf: :crazy: :problem: when will they learn that we care for the environment and use our talents in a positive way ??? :crazy:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control