0-20% is it worth the hassle?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

0-20% is it worth the hassle?

Post by Elmer » 02 Mar 2017, 3:09 pm

Have just watched the latest Landline interview with the Leading Scientist? of the K5 release , now they are saying that it will have a knock down rate of only 0- 20% compared to the 0-40% which was stated in previous
documents. He is also (by the sound of it) not sure if the virus can be contacted through other methods (ie mossies flies etc) other than direct consumption of virus laced baits. :homer: hence the need for recounting of rabbits a week and a month after baiting.
For such a pathetic knock down, is it really worth releasing a new virus into our environment?, especially after leading European experts in the field of virology have advised against it.
Gotta love our Guv.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: 0-20% is it worth the hassle?

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Mar 2017, 5:42 pm

G'day Elmer,
I feel every bit helps. As for releasing a "new" virus into the environment, you should know it is very specific and as for the European "experts" I would back our own against them anyday. This from one who now works for Veterinary Pathology, and has discussed the issue with our top Pathologist who is recognized as one of the best in the world in his field. The K5 strain, by the way, is not that new, and has already been used in Korea but I haven't bothered to check their results as I don't feel the environmental background compares well to ours. Perhaps Calici is reaching the end of it's effectiveness, but Myxo has had it and we need to try something.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 02 Mar 2017, 6:36 pm

It certainly isn't worth the risk. No "expert" can guarantee that an extremely virulent hemorrhagic disease that kills mammals won't jump species and using it as a pesticide is reckless at best. Viruses can an do mutate.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Elmer » 02 Mar 2017, 8:01 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Elmer,
I feel every bit helps. As for releasing a "new" virus into the environment, you should know it is very specific and as for the European "experts" I would back our own against them anyday. This from one who now works for Veterinary Pathology, and has discussed the issue with our top Pathologist who is recognized as one of the best in the world in his field. The K5 strain, by the way, is not that new, and has already been used in Korea but I haven't bothered to check their results as I don't feel the environmental background compares well to ours. Perhaps Calici is reaching the end of it's effectiveness, but Myxo has had it and we need to try something.

Hi mate,
I hope hes right, as you know there are only so many environments a Lab can replicate and being a living organism it can and possibly will mutate to better suit potential new (or different ) hosts and environments. As stated it is a Korean virus,who knows maybe that doesn't matter, but it has evolved in a different environment which may or may not boost or negate its effectiveness in Oz.
No one can be absolutely sure this wont happen , there simply has not been enough time to explore all possible outcomes being positive or negative, they have even changed their minds with the knock down rate this virus is supposed to have.
Myself I will stick to 55gn Ballistic silvertips :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 02 Mar 2017, 8:07 pm

happyhunter wrote:It certainly isn't worth the risk. No "expert" can guarantee that an extremely virulent hemorrhagic disease that kills mammals won't jump species and using it as a pesticide is reckless at best. Viruses can an do mutate.

Agreed mate :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 03 Mar 2017, 2:35 pm

I think these viruses are cruel and inhuman, much better to have our Elmer Fudds hunting wabbits.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 03 Mar 2017, 5:10 pm

Here's a picture of a poor rabbit that caught a nasty dose of the new 25-06 virus a few days ago
Attachments
_20170228_203228.JPG
_20170228_203228.JPG (163.03 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 13 Mar 2017, 2:25 am

Maybe we should bring back the rabbit fur industry ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Mar 2017, 9:16 am

Bent Arrow wrote:Here's a picture of a poor rabbit that caught a nasty dose of the new 25-06 virus a few days ago

Hope I am only ever a carrier of virus. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 13 Mar 2017, 12:25 pm

bigpete wrote:Maybe we should bring back the rabbit fur industry ?

That wont happen, the greens made sure of that :evil:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by gazza » 13 Mar 2017, 12:39 pm

Not worth it. Scientists are often wrong and even reckless. Lab tests can't predict 50 or 100 years into the future. Where the hell are all these rabbits anyway?
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 13 Mar 2017, 5:42 pm

gazza wrote:Not worth it. Scientists are often wrong and even reckless. Lab tests can't predict 50 or 100 years into the future. Where the hell are all these rabbits anyway?

:unknown: Not in my area thats for sure.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 14 Mar 2017, 8:06 am

Despite the mixo and pindone drops there are high numbers of bunnies around here. We have had good rain and the grass stayed green throughout summer. Plenty of young ones running around too.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey