Binoculars and deer hunting - do you use them?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Binoculars and deer hunting - do you use them?

Post by juststarting » 06 Mar 2017, 12:21 am

So, like the title suggests - wondering who uses binos when deer hunting. To date, I haven't. I either sit down or prop myself against something and slowly glass the area with my scope. But lately I've been thinking, this is somewhat uncomfortable. But, the flip side is that it saves on weight and stuff I need to carry. I have Vortex binos, which are not too heavy, but not that small either, which makes me think twice about lugging them around.

Thoughts? Pros & cons? What do you do...
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Binoculars and deer hunting - do you use them?

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Mar 2017, 6:18 am

Yep much easier to use bino's than a scope to scan the country side properly.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by juststarting » 06 Mar 2017, 8:11 am

My use case is generally hills, with perhaps 100m - 300m visibility at the very extreme best. Not so much open country side.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 06 Mar 2017, 8:17 am

Plenty of reasons why using binos is a better idea. Larger field of view, easier to scan due to size and ergonomics and you aren't sweeping the entire country side with your rifle.
Just another thing I need to save for. Bought a monocular a few years ago but it is just Shyte quality so I never use it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Archie » 06 Mar 2017, 8:18 am

Apart from the comfort side - depends where you are, and I'm probably being paranoid, but I get nervous when people start initially scanning wide areas with the pointy end of a rifle. Maybe I'm over cautious. But where I hunt there are a lot of small farms and if someone sees me checking out some movement with the rifle scope rather than binoculars, I don't think it'd go down too well.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 06 Mar 2017, 10:08 am

Yes Archie, you make a good point, especially from the safety aspect, not only for your shooting partner but from the small farms around.
It looks super cool too, with rifle over shoulder and binos up to the eyes - professional!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 06 Mar 2017, 10:12 am

Safety, good point. Super cool - but what if there's nobody to see you? Does it mean you've blended in well, but you're not cool :( Damn decisions! Also when I am walking, I am on my own, so there's no issues with hunting buddy having a barrel swung around them.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Mar 2017, 10:16 am

Bino's always. Waving rifles around is a bad habit to fall into, and just makes you more obvious to your game anyway.
Scopes suck for glassing, unless you only have one eye of course.
Mine are strapped to the left side of my chest.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allen-Binocular-Ready-Pouch/17175612
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Mar 2017, 10:18 am

juststarting wrote:Safety, good point. Super cool - but what if there's nobody to see you? Does it mean you've blended in well, but you're not cool :( Damn decisions! Also when I am walking, I am on my own, so there's no issues with hunting buddy having a barrel swung around them.

You might think you're alone, but what if there are half a dozen other hunters concealed and watching you through their scopes because they didn't bring binoculars either?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 06 Mar 2017, 10:20 am

Then I failed at concealment :cry:
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Mar 2017, 10:30 am

I just picked up a set of tasco binoculars on ebay. I was going to ask for advice on what brand / size to get but I couldn't go past these. Hopefully they're ok.

It should be much esier to scan the country side using binoculars instead of swinging my rifle around for a look .

Screenshot_2017-03-06-10-55-23.png
Screenshot_2017-03-06-10-55-23.png (215.73 KiB) Viewed 6498 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Mar 2017, 4:36 pm

Not sure I'd bother with 16x mag for glassing duties, much rather a 8x30 or similar (way too much movement detected through high mag scopes/binos and I'd imagine those wouldn't be real flash eye relief/comfort wise either and probably a bit ordinary in the shadowy stuff too but time will tell how well they go for you mate.

I bought a cheap 2nd hand set for $40 a while back 10x50 they are if memory serves me correctly, they are ok (not the best sharpness wise but good enough for the duties I bought them for (Whistling foxes) and general hunting duties but they are a bit heavy to be walking the hills with (which is an important thing to think about when doing long stalking duties) so reasonably compact and light is the way to go for those sorts of things in general (heavy is a PITA for long days walking) and you will soon get sick of having them around your neck so a harness is a good idea to have also.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 06 Mar 2017, 7:02 pm

I've really had no use for them in my Vic hunting adventures so far, i've been in mostly thick bush and generally can't see more than 50-100 metres ahead, however if i was up in the high country i'd be glassing with binos rather than my rifle scope, easier on the eyes and a much better field of view, it depends on your hunting environment
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 Mar 2017, 9:21 pm

Bino's every time. I couldn't imagine not using them when looking for game. I also bow hunt, and not every rifle I like to hunt with has a scope, so I couldnt go down the "scoping for game" path anyway. It would also make a mockery of the rules I am embedding in to my kids head of only pointing the rifle at things you are intending to shoot. 8-10 power is plenty. Get a good harness, it makes a very big difference to how comfortable it is to carry binos
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 06 Mar 2017, 9:43 pm

You never know who's out there, so -

"Never point a gun at the Phantom (Old Jungle saying)" :problem:

"The Phantom has a thousand eyes and ears."
:o

use the Binos, not the rifle! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 08 Mar 2017, 9:05 am

The phantom also wore a purple leotard , with undies on the outside and knee high boots. Nothing suss going on there. I would value his opinion ;)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 08 Mar 2017, 9:38 am

But the phantom carried 2x1911's so he had something going for him..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 08 Mar 2017, 10:55 am

binos i have bushnell 10x25 compact fold them up and fit them in my pocket
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Mar 2017, 11:04 am

I do based on the situation. If it's fairly open I take them. If it's thick and intend walking a lot I don't. I have 7.x 20s. A tad small I reckon 8 x 30 are the go.

I like to travel light. Getting too old to lug stuff I don't use.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 08 Mar 2017, 3:14 pm

Well said Wyle27, no argument from me on that point and .45 too!
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Mar 2017, 3:50 pm

I do use my scope if I don't bring my binos with me when out hunting (which is most of the time) but for deer bino's can be very important due to the fact you usually glass more than walk as a rule. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 08 Mar 2017, 8:00 pm

No disrespect intended, I am sure you all are very successful when you are hunting...... I bet you either walk past, spook, or walk away from a lot of game if you are not spending a lot of time looking through your bino's. I've lost count of the number of times I have found game and been able to stalk into them only because I spent the time looking rather than walking
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Mar 2017, 3:56 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Not sure I'd bother with 16x mag for glassing duties, much rather a 8x30 or similar (way too much movement detected through high mag scopes/binos and I'd imagine those wouldn't be real flash eye relief/comfort wise either and probably a bit ordinary in the shadowy stuff too but time will tell how well they go for you mate.

I bought a cheap 2nd hand set for $40 a while back 10x50 they are if memory serves me correctly, they are ok (not the best sharpness wise but good enough for the duties I bought them for (Whistling foxes) and general hunting duties but they are a bit heavy to be walking the hills with (which is an important thing to think about when doing long stalking duties) so reasonably compact and light is the way to go for those sorts of things in general (heavy is a PITA for long days walking) and you will soon get sick of having them around your neck so a harness is a good idea to have also.

I can report that the Tasco 16x32mm binoculars are terrible.

Just as you said the eye relief is so small that you need to open your eyes wide and press the binoculars almost hard against your eyeballs to see through them.
The high magnification amplifies the slightest hand tremble making the viewing picture look like a special effects scene from some kind of earthquake movie.

I rate them 0 stars :lol: but the kids think they're great :thumbsup:

Back to the drawing board.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Mar 2017, 4:12 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:No disrespect intended, I am sure you all are very successful when you are hunting...... I bet you either walk past, spook, or walk away from a lot of game if you are not spending a lot of time looking through your bino's. I've lost count of the number of times I have found game and been able to stalk into them only because I spent the time looking rather than walking

Not a truer word has been said... there's some good advice hiding in that statement :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2017, 6:05 pm

7 to 10 mag x 20 to 50mm

It's about compromise. Weight and light transmission
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Mar 2017, 8:29 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Not sure I'd bother with 16x mag for glassing duties, much rather a 8x30 or similar (way too much movement detected through high mag scopes/binos and I'd imagine those wouldn't be real flash eye relief/comfort wise either and probably a bit ordinary in the shadowy stuff too but time will tell how well they go for you mate.

I can report that the Tasco 16x32mm binoculars are terrible.

Just as you said the eye relief is so small that you need to open your eyes wide and press the binoculars almost hard against your eyeballs to see through them.
The high magnification amplifies the slightest hand tremble making the viewing picture look like a special effects scene from some kind of earthquake movie.

I rate them 0 stars :lol: but the kids think they're great :thumbsup:

Back to the drawing board.

Yeah knew they would be, cheap high mag optics are never a good combo sadly and as you found out high mag often means every movement will be noticed and it makes them hard to use for the purpose you bought them for (get yourself something to sit them on like a tripod they may be slightly better to use then but I'd go around 8x 30 or 40/50mm depending on what you are wanting them for (smaller and lighter for doing long walks) heavier and bulkier is ok for sort walks and general use I find but lighter and compact for the long walks where weight becomes more of an issue. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 10 Mar 2017, 8:14 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:No disrespect intended, I am sure you all are very successful when you are hunting...... I bet you either walk past, spook, or walk away from a lot of game if you are not spending a lot of time looking through your bino's. I've lost count of the number of times I have found game and been able to stalk into them only because I spent the time looking rather than walking

Having a pair of binos around my neck reminds me to stop occasionally and slow down, catch my beath and look around.
For me at least I think that living a hectic 9-5 working life can have negative impacts on stalking technique.
Bigjobss

Post by Bosbefok » 18 May 2017, 4:58 pm

I just got a set of Vortex Talons 10x42 i think. From optics planet for around $350. Nice compact set with great glass. Very happy. Not the cheapest but definitely not the most expensive. I also grabbed a harness that attaches the binos to your chest. Way more comfy.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by d3driver » 19 May 2017, 9:29 pm

Got my Vortex New Diamondback in 10x42 delivered today for just under $300 from the US on eBay. Hope to have an opportunity to use them soon.
Currently:
Weatherby VG S2 in .223 in Boyds Thumbhole, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50
Sako Finnfire Hunter .22, Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (my old .22 bought back)
d3driver
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 19 May 2017, 9:33 pm

Very happy with my diamondback i reckon you will be too
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey