Binoculars and deer hunting - do you use them?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Binoculars and deer hunting - do you use them?

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Mar 2017, 11:04 am

I do based on the situation. If it's fairly open I take them. If it's thick and intend walking a lot I don't. I have 7.x 20s. A tad small I reckon 8 x 30 are the go.

I like to travel light. Getting too old to lug stuff I don't use.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 08 Mar 2017, 3:14 pm

Well said Wyle27, no argument from me on that point and .45 too!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Mar 2017, 3:50 pm

I do use my scope if I don't bring my binos with me when out hunting (which is most of the time) but for deer bino's can be very important due to the fact you usually glass more than walk as a rule. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 08 Mar 2017, 8:00 pm

No disrespect intended, I am sure you all are very successful when you are hunting...... I bet you either walk past, spook, or walk away from a lot of game if you are not spending a lot of time looking through your bino's. I've lost count of the number of times I have found game and been able to stalk into them only because I spent the time looking rather than walking
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Mar 2017, 3:56 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Not sure I'd bother with 16x mag for glassing duties, much rather a 8x30 or similar (way too much movement detected through high mag scopes/binos and I'd imagine those wouldn't be real flash eye relief/comfort wise either and probably a bit ordinary in the shadowy stuff too but time will tell how well they go for you mate.

I bought a cheap 2nd hand set for $40 a while back 10x50 they are if memory serves me correctly, they are ok (not the best sharpness wise but good enough for the duties I bought them for (Whistling foxes) and general hunting duties but they are a bit heavy to be walking the hills with (which is an important thing to think about when doing long stalking duties) so reasonably compact and light is the way to go for those sorts of things in general (heavy is a PITA for long days walking) and you will soon get sick of having them around your neck so a harness is a good idea to have also.

I can report that the Tasco 16x32mm binoculars are terrible.

Just as you said the eye relief is so small that you need to open your eyes wide and press the binoculars almost hard against your eyeballs to see through them.
The high magnification amplifies the slightest hand tremble making the viewing picture look like a special effects scene from some kind of earthquake movie.

I rate them 0 stars :lol: but the kids think they're great :thumbsup:

Back to the drawing board.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Mar 2017, 4:12 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:No disrespect intended, I am sure you all are very successful when you are hunting...... I bet you either walk past, spook, or walk away from a lot of game if you are not spending a lot of time looking through your bino's. I've lost count of the number of times I have found game and been able to stalk into them only because I spent the time looking rather than walking

Not a truer word has been said... there's some good advice hiding in that statement :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2017, 6:05 pm

7 to 10 mag x 20 to 50mm

It's about compromise. Weight and light transmission
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Mar 2017, 8:29 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Not sure I'd bother with 16x mag for glassing duties, much rather a 8x30 or similar (way too much movement detected through high mag scopes/binos and I'd imagine those wouldn't be real flash eye relief/comfort wise either and probably a bit ordinary in the shadowy stuff too but time will tell how well they go for you mate.

I bought a cheap 2nd hand set for $40 a while back 10x50 they are if memory serves me correctly, they are ok (not the best sharpness wise but good enough for the duties I bought them for (Whistling foxes) and general hunting duties but they are a bit heavy to be walking the hills with (which is an important thing to think about when doing long stalking duties) so reasonably compact and light is the way to go for those sorts of things in general (heavy is a PITA for long days walking) and you will soon get sick of having them around your neck so a harness is a good idea to have also.

I can report that the Tasco 16x32mm binoculars are terrible.

Just as you said the eye relief is so small that you need to open your eyes wide and press the binoculars almost hard against your eyeballs to see through them.
The high magnification amplifies the slightest hand tremble making the viewing picture look like a special effects scene from some kind of earthquake movie.

I rate them 0 stars :lol: but the kids think they're great :thumbsup:

Back to the drawing board.

Yeah knew they would be, cheap high mag optics are never a good combo sadly and as you found out high mag often means every movement will be noticed and it makes them hard to use for the purpose you bought them for (get yourself something to sit them on like a tripod they may be slightly better to use then but I'd go around 8x 30 or 40/50mm depending on what you are wanting them for (smaller and lighter for doing long walks) heavier and bulkier is ok for sort walks and general use I find but lighter and compact for the long walks where weight becomes more of an issue. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 10 Mar 2017, 8:14 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:No disrespect intended, I am sure you all are very successful when you are hunting...... I bet you either walk past, spook, or walk away from a lot of game if you are not spending a lot of time looking through your bino's. I've lost count of the number of times I have found game and been able to stalk into them only because I spent the time looking rather than walking

Having a pair of binos around my neck reminds me to stop occasionally and slow down, catch my beath and look around.
For me at least I think that living a hectic 9-5 working life can have negative impacts on stalking technique.
Bigjobss

Post by Bosbefok » 18 May 2017, 4:58 pm

I just got a set of Vortex Talons 10x42 i think. From optics planet for around $350. Nice compact set with great glass. Very happy. Not the cheapest but definitely not the most expensive. I also grabbed a harness that attaches the binos to your chest. Way more comfy.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by d3driver » 19 May 2017, 9:29 pm

Got my Vortex New Diamondback in 10x42 delivered today for just under $300 from the US on eBay. Hope to have an opportunity to use them soon.
Currently:
Weatherby VG S2 in .223 in Boyds Thumbhole, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50
Sako Finnfire Hunter .22, Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (my old .22 bought back)
d3driver
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 19 May 2017, 9:33 pm

Very happy with my diamondback i reckon you will be too
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by discostu » 22 May 2017, 12:19 pm

I have 2 pairs 8x42 Bresser and new 10x42 Vortex Viper HD which are amazing. I have seen a lot more using Binos than walking through the bush.
discostu
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by P01ntman69 » 22 May 2017, 8:53 pm

Hi everyone,

New here and relatively new to deer hunting - though I have been out a few times. Last time I saw someone using their rifle to glass there was a person at the end of it. Admittedly the idiot was wearing a brown jacket with no blaze orange so binos are safer that your scope.

Most people I've hunted with swear by using binos - particularly if your hunting Sambar who can smell/hear you a mile off.

I use a small pair of Bushnell waterproof 10x25 which do the trick - so thats a yes from me.
P01ntman69
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey