New to fox whistling/shooting... help ?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

New to fox whistling/shooting... help ?

Post by Stirlo » 09 Mar 2017, 6:21 am

Hey guys,

New to the fox hunting game have Been reading a few guides and watching a lot of videos. Was wondering if any one had any tips, must do's or even must watch videos/guides.

Cheers
Stirlo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New to fox whistling/shooting... help ?

Post by happyhunter » 09 Mar 2017, 6:30 am

Try and stay down wind. That's real important. Don't move around. Don't miss the shot.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Noisydad » 09 Mar 2017, 11:51 am

Resist the temptation to keep blasting away on the whistle - it's meant to sound like an injured rabbit. Less whistling is often better.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2017, 5:25 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 09 Mar 2017, 5:39 pm

Personally I actually have more luck coming across foxes when I go on foot (stalk) rather than whistling.
edit - Watch the youtube vid in my post and see what I mean: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4843&p=109728#p109728

Advice from me - other than what had already been said, if calling try to get in a position where the bugger can't come in from behind you. It's a real pain when you hear one approaching from somewhere behind you or over your shoulder.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2017, 6:10 pm

:lol:
, "if calling try to get in a position where the bugger can't come in from behind you. It's a real pain when you hear one approaching from somewhere behind you or over your shoulder."

Often happens. I think movement is critical too.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Mar 2017, 8:22 pm

1. Try and get in a position where the wind is in your face as best as possible (I've had plenty of the come from the wrong direction and stand next to me) so don't assume that they won't come from behind you just because the wind is in your face.

2. Try and find structure where they are likely to be - ie blackberry patches as great places for them to hide and feed etc at diff times of the year (summer they love fruit and what do blackberry bushes have plenty of in summer? Blackberries of course) foxes have a sweat tooth and are often found where fruit trees are. Rocky hillsides are often great places for foxes to sun themselves on cold wiinter days where the sun hits the mountains early and warms the rocks so worth whistling where those sorts of structures are too. Foxes also love scrubby country - anywhere where they can hide and feel safe (shot plenty laying in tussocks too where they were bedded up having a arvo knap whilst keeping warm and concealed.

3. I usually call for about 20-30 sec then give it a rest for a few mins, whist waiting I'm scanning all around me to see if anything is coming in from all directions (make sure you sit in front of a bush or tree etc to break your outline up and to reduce the movements you make down where they aren't easy to detect. I use all manner of diff types of callers and whistles as often one won't work but something else will get them coming in.

4. I usually stay at a stand for about 15-20mins then move 300-400 or so along until I find somewhere where they might show up from again. I like creeklines where they branch off in 2 or 3 diff directions, foxes love creeklines for their highways and concealing their movements when responding to whistles.

5. It's not unusual for the smart ones to circle around type thing trying to test the wind for any unusual smells that might warn them that something isn't right so just keep scanning around 360deg type thing (as best you can) cos they are predictable but unpredictable in what they will or won't do. I usually have a CF rifle and Shotgun with me when whistling to help with those times when foxes want to just appear out of nowhere and just stand next to you (handy to have a 12g in those situations for the close action run offs) and I definitely prefer a CF over a Rimfire as it gives you more flexibility for the ones who want to hang out far and refuse to come in no matter what whistle or caller you use (why limit yourself with a Rimfire)

6. Mating season (seems to start around April-May you will often get pairs showing up so be ready) and latter on in the season they are less responsive to the whistle as they are more interested in mating. The cubs usually start coming out around the beginning of summer and are easy to shoot and are completely stupid (had them come right up to me and just stand there wondering what the hell I am (had two do exactly that a few years back when the wife and I were having a BBQ, I thought I'd have a whistle as it looked like a good spot and it sure was.

7. Listen for the birds, often when a fox is coming in you will hear the birds sounding the alarm to warn other birds that danger is near and in that case pay close attention that general direction to see if you can spot the danger.

That's all I can think of for now - good luck and get stuck into em. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Elmer » 09 Mar 2017, 8:59 pm

Good advice Scott, do you wear gloves and a face net?
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Mar 2017, 9:22 pm

Elmer wrote:Good advice Scott, do you wear gloves and a face net?

No mate, just a t-shirt and shorts or trackies when it's a bit cool (occasionally I wear my camo outfit but a lot of the time I don't bother) just depends on how I'm feeling as to whether I want to get dressed up for em or not :D

If I'm doing my part right they don't get close enough to be concerned about what I'm wearing anyway.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stirlo » 10 Mar 2017, 9:33 am

Thanks for all the tips guys. On another note worth using subsonic to be quiterer or Just us high volecity?
Stirlo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Mar 2017, 10:05 am

Wouldn't recommend sub-sonic .22's for fox shooting. High velocity 40gr solids as a minimum and you'll be needing good accurate head shots for best results.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Stirlo » 10 Mar 2017, 10:16 am

Gamerancher wrote:Wouldn't recommend sub-sonic .22's for fox shooting. High velocity 40gr solids as a minimum and you'll be needing good accurate head shots for best results.

Cheers mate been using Winchester Power Points so they will be good, cheers
Stirlo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Mar 2017, 1:13 pm

You don't have anything bigger than a 22 do you Stirlo? If not definitely take head shots if you can to ensure a better outcome, I find the 22 marginal with chest shots on foxes (had too many run offs using em to bother taking them out on foxes now) much rather a CF or shotgun (usually both come with me) when whistling.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by YoungBuck » 10 Mar 2017, 3:01 pm

bigfellascott wrote:You don't have anything bigger than a 22 do you Stirlo? If not definitely take head shots if you can to ensure a better outcome, I find the 22 marginal with chest shots on foxes (had too many run offs using em to bother taking them out on foxes now) much rather a CF or shotgun (usually both come with me) when whistling.

I normally take a head shot as preference, but the last couple of foxes I have shot with the .22mag have been in the chest and they dropped on the spot. That said I am more hesitant to take a fox with the .22LR, would definitely want to be a head shot.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stirlo » 10 Mar 2017, 3:19 pm

No only have my first rifle which is a .22 am using Winchester power points which are a 40grain 1280fps copper plated hallow points.
Stirlo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Mar 2017, 4:26 pm

Stirlo wrote:No only have my first rifle which is a .22 am using Winchester power points which are a 40grain 1280fps copper plated hallow points.

Just do headshots and you will be fine.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stirlo » 10 Mar 2017, 7:20 pm

Yet another arvo/night and another property whistled away and still nothing. Starting to think I'm doing something wrong
Stirlo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Mar 2017, 8:07 pm

It happens - keep at it mate.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by gazza » 10 Mar 2017, 8:17 pm

A bit of free baiting can help if you're looking for foxes rather than trying to deter them.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 10 Mar 2017, 8:23 pm

YoungBuck wrote:

Advice from me - other than what had already been said, if calling try to get in a position where the bugger can't come in from behind you. It's a real pain when you hear one approaching from somewhere behind you or over your shoulder.

Had that happen more than once over the years..

On most occasions I have seen it, I would suspect It relates to what Noisy said..

"Resist the temptation to keep blasting away on the whistle - it's meant to sound like an injured rabbit. Less whistling is often better."

Seen quite a few circle in to see whats what in my experience, perhaps a way of triangulating in on the sound and possibly the wise checking for danger on the way (by way of scenting the breeze) ;) Just a suspicion :unknown: Not always the case though, perhaps Its dependent on what has been learned from experience or taught...?

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Mar 2017, 8:57 pm

What whistle/s are you using mate?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Mar 2017, 9:34 pm

Have you got a tenterfield style whistle. They do perform well.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stirlo » 10 Mar 2017, 9:38 pm

Have a Tenterfield and a button whistle. But having no luck with ethier
Stirlo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 10 Mar 2017, 10:41 pm

Shoot some rabbits and replicate any sounds you hear mate pay close attention all the way to their last breath...

The whistles do work well, but only you can make it sound somewhat convincing ! It does make a difference.. :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2017, 5:44 am

If you do call one in and it winds you or sees you and runs off keep tracking it in the scope and call out Oih or make a sheep noise and often they will stop for one final look back - then bang flop em! :drinks:

They are inquisitive creatures and usually stop to have a look back so definitely keep tracking them in your scope because they will give you one last change to bang flop em.

They respond to all sorts of noises - I use Styrofoam on the mirror or side of the door (wet the foam) them just rub it madly and it makes a squeaky sound like a mouse which often gets their attention when nothing else does.

Foxes are opportunistic so if they think they can get an easy quick meal they are only too keen to do so most of the time.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 11 Mar 2017, 9:07 am

You dont always get foxes when you start whistling around my area i have had a whole pack of wild dogs roll in real close so if they are in your area be aware
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 11 Mar 2017, 10:11 am

bentaz wrote:
Stirlo wrote:Yet another arvo/night and another property whistled away and still nothing. Starting to think I'm doing something wrong

Dont give up mate.
I remember the first time i went fox whistling, first spot, couple of blows on the button and bam got one first try. I thought to myself piss easy i can do this every day!
I reckon my next 5-6 trips not a bloody thing, lol!
Time, practice and heeding the advice of blokes like BigfellaScott will yeald results.

Ha! I had the same thing, I think the first 2 times I went out I got one on each day but then saw bloody nothing for like the next 6-8 hunts. And yes it makes you start questioning yourself.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Mar 2017, 12:23 pm

Bentaz & youngbuck just put a smile on my dial. I seem to get one every third or forth trip.

And I thought my whistling sucked. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 11 Mar 2017, 1:09 pm

Funny how some days I can get a great sound out of the old tin whistle and yet other days it sounds terrible
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gun-nut » 11 Mar 2017, 9:00 pm

Can anyone help me out, I know this is probably a stupid question, but I too am new to fox hunting (and whistling for that matter). I have a fox whistle (so I was told when it was gifted to me) which looks identical to this:

My issue is quite simple, I have no bloody clue how to use it! :lol:
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control