hunting skills

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

hunting skills

Post by duncan61 » 23 Mar 2017, 11:20 pm

After shooting a the farm on Monday I realize I have a lot to learn about hunting.I am used to idling around in the ute at night with a spot light and tapping roos in the brain with a .222 at under 100 metres.I thought I was a good shot as I rarely fail to drop that which I am aiming for.Standing unsupported is something else I have to learn and We did the ambush as normal but I had no bipod and thought who cares as we were just chasing some meat.I am pretty useless without a rest.I need to really focus on this next time.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Re: hunting skills

Post by wrenchman » 24 Mar 2017, 2:56 am

you are ok most of us are like that i have been hunting for years pratice you off hand shots but if you can try to get some typ of shooting sticks that you can adjust'
also pratice nealing shots and sitting.
I have also found if the game is under 50 yards and do not think i will have time to get set up for the shot i hunt with a shot gun its point and shoot and buck shot does work nice.
i like to set up blinds and hunt from them they give you cover and give you time to set up.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Mar 2017, 4:44 am

Yep I have trouble these days shooting off hand without some sort of assistance to steady me, I try and find a tree or something similar to help when I can. I tried using one of those mono pod type things a while back and it was useless for me, haven't tried one with 2 legs it may be better I suspect but still not the best for me, bipod is my go to for most rest type duties when it's practical to use.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 24 Mar 2017, 6:28 am

I find I'm 50/50 when it comes to shooting off the shoulder at a stationary target, if it's on the move though I rarely miss, I reckon it comes down to having less time to think and I don't get the shakes as much as when I'm having to hold steady on a still target.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 24 Mar 2017, 6:53 am

Stick a knife in a tree, not a bad mobile adjustable shooting rest haha
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Mar 2017, 7:30 am

Take up silhouette, all shot off-hand, excellent way to develop skill for hunting. :D
I used to look for anything to rest on when out in the field, would never take an off-hand shot unless it was at something fairly close and running. Now I really don't hesitate if the opportunity for a shot under 150m presents and no rest is available. My son shot his first goat at 180m off-hand as a 13 year old. He didn't even think to look for a rest as he'd only ever shot silhouette before. He felt it only natural to shoot that way. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 24 Mar 2017, 8:09 am

great way to practice gamerancher and fun
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Mar 2017, 9:06 am

Yeah, I reckon it is. I've had a pretty good success rate when it comes to introducing people to the sport. Once they get bitten, they usually stay. :D
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 24 Mar 2017, 9:31 am

I wouldn't mind getting into some rimfire silhouette.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Mar 2017, 9:46 am

Let me know your nearest town Gwion, I'll contact the boys down there and see if I can hook you up.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 24 Mar 2017, 9:58 am

I've been in touch with a local SSAA club about it. Just about finding time on top of playing El Presdente at my full bore club. I'd actually like to do some at our range but inter association politics might put some noses out of joint...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Mar 2017, 10:55 am

Yeah, that can be a real PITA for some reason. SSAA does have a generous range development fund available for clubs who wish to set up for their disciplines.
They, SSAA TAS, just helped the "Blue Hills" range down near Sorrell? set up a full 500m range as well as 100m range to host the state titles a couple of weeks ago. Getting all in place and ready for the Nationals in October.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Mar 2017, 9:19 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Let me know your nearest town Gwion, I'll contact the boys down there and see if I can hook you up.

Is anybody in Gippsland doing it?
I've been practicing, and having fun, but I'm still at that point where it's mostly luck that knocks the silhouettes down rather than any skill on my part.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 24 Mar 2017, 9:43 pm

I was just too casual and took it to easy. I should have tracked them in the scope next time for sure
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 25 Mar 2017, 11:14 am

Off hand shooting is something that I have been practicing with for a few months now, I've got some old saucepans setup at 100m and 130m and when I'm up at the block I will try to put 20 mins into just shooting the pans without any assistance. Hoping this will lead to a steadier aim down the track.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 25 Mar 2017, 1:34 pm

When I was a kid learning to shoot I was taught to move the barrel up and down in time with my breathing. At the end of an inhale I would reach the top of the movement. At the end of an exhale the sights would be settling on the target pull the trigger rinse and repeat. .The photo below shows the results with a mates 94/22 offhand at 50m
20170323_122442.jpg
20170323_122442.jpg (950.72 KiB) Viewed 4144 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Mar 2017, 5:27 pm

I often take light weight longish shooting sticks
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 26 Mar 2017, 9:04 pm

I like the breathing technique,I will try that next time